Notices

Never to old to play dress up

Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never to old to play dress up

Hi! Part of being an adult is having responsibilities, expectations, and the endless amount of tasks that come with life. Every once and awhile when I want to "be someone else".. to just walk out the door and be anyone without anything hanging over my head- work tomorrow, making dinner, the house needs to be cleaned, emails to send etc. My husband and I decided it would be fun to just be someone else for the night. We went and bought clothes that we have always thought about wearing but didn't fit into our hectic days or I worried what others would think or say.

I always wondered what it would be to be someone else for the night; well I did just that- I became a different person for that night. We went to a wig store and I picked one that had the color I always loved and with long straight hair (I have currrlllllyyyy hair). We went and rented a car without worrying about price or what is practical. We shut our phones off and fell off the face of the earth. For fun we even picked out different names. Then we stepped out of the house as completely different people. We even rented an overpriced and super over the top hotel room. Our night of being two different people was one of the best nights of my entire life. I used to think that escaping from day to day responsibilities was only possible with drugs. Instead of waking up guilty and with a mess of problems- we had the best night and morning and after we walked back in our home and went back to us. This might sound weird or creepy- but it is so freeing. Remember how excited you used to get when you played dress up? It literally made me feel giddy at just being someone with not a care in the world

This was just a spur of a moment idea that we said screw it and went for it. We have decided that once a month we are going to put all of our worries and stress on the backburner and just let ourselves be free from all of it.

Try to step out of your comfort zone. Think outside of the box. Find things that make you de-stress and relax and just make you happy. When we get sober sometimes we feel overwhelmed and the thought of relaxing or de-stressing just doesn't seem possible without drugs. I wanted to share this just to give an example of how endless the possibilities are to de-stress and relax. Find something that gives you that pure sense of joy that we had as children!
Old 02-16-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

I so enjoyed reading this. It made me wonder if that night being someone else was actually more about REALLY being yourself...

I suppose this comes to mind because when I was drinking I put on a costume and pretended to be someone I was not almost every freaking day, especially when I went to work.

Nowadays, I'm more authentic no matter what I'm wearing.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

reading this put a smile on my face
Old 02-17-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
I so enjoyed reading this. It made me wonder if that night being someone else was actually more about REALLY being yourself...

I suppose this comes to mind because when I was drinking I put on a costume and pretended to be someone I was not almost every freaking day, especially when I went to work.

Nowadays, I'm more authentic no matter what I'm wearing.
When I was using I never put the effort in to try to put up an act or pretend I was okay. I was a heroin addict, all I cared about was heroin and I never tried to cover it. I'd walk around in short sleeves with my arms such a mess people would stare. It feels so good to be able to just do what makes me happy
Old 02-17-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That sounds like a really good way of escaping the routine that comes with being a working age adult
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic! We certainly don't "play" enough as adults. I was at a concert a couple weeks ago and I spent three hours just clapping, dancing, singing, stamping my feet and hollering. It occurred to me that I just don't have that sensation enough - of being joyful like I was as a kid.

I'm so happy for you that your husband and you have the same sense of fun. It will keep you both young!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AdelineRose View Post
When I was using I never put the effort in to try to put up an act or pretend I was okay. I was a heroin addict, all I cared about was heroin and I never tried to cover it. I'd walk around in short sleeves with my arms such a mess people would stare. It feels so good to be able to just do what makes me happy
I was the same way too!!! I was always bout heroin too and always walking around in tank tops/short sleeves I just didn't care if people saw my track marks up and down my arms.

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to finally do what makes you happy keep it up girl!!!