Notices

17 days clean/sober.. Trouble going to meetings

Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face 17 days clean/sober.. Trouble going to meetings

I am stoked I haven't had a drink or anything in almost 3 weeks I am scared in gonna relapse if I don't get to meetings and get a sponsor asap. I see my brother a lot since I got sober every day but I cannot seem to get my ass to a meeting!!! I am having a big problem and its all in my head , I know I'll feel better after I go.. I also get tired during the later evening after the sun goes down, wondering when its gonna change....
Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I could have written your post when I was first sober. In the end the way I got through the door of a meeting was from contacting AA and chatting to someone first. Somehow it seemed that little bit easier (still not easy though ) to walk in after talking to someone.

I still feel a little nervous when I walk into a new meeting if I'm visiting someplace, but I've never been to an unfriendly meeting yet. Why not try calling the hotline number to see if some of the fear can be dispelled that way?

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A great suggestion from BB. If you give your local AA number a call, they may be able to help put you in touch with someone local to you. They can take you if you are up to it, or at least talk about how you are travelling.

Just remember, every single person in the room had to do the same thing as you at some stage and they all had similar feelings. You aren't alone
Old 02-16-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MissMarie

I really encourage you to do whatever you think will be beneficial for your recovery.

Addiction feeds on inaction - fight for yourself

D
Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Missmarie89 View Post
I am scared in gonna relapse if I don't get to meetings and get a sponsor asap.
so you understand the problem and the solution

awesome !!!

Old 02-16-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi MissMarie,

Welcome to SR and well done on 17 days

Have you been to any meetings as yet? Can you identify what the problem is that is stopping you from going?

I'm not sure where you are located and if you have open meetings but perhaps you could ask your brother to go with you? Otherwise BB's suggestion is a good one.

I set myself a meeting schedule each week, commit to going, then go. I think of my meetings like I would think of any other appt. I make the appt. and go.

For me, if I don't feel like going to a meeting I know it is at those times it is more important that I go. In the beginning I stuck to the same meetings but now (69 days sober) I am starting to branch out and go to different meetings and I am enjoying meeting and hearing from new people. I also have not encountered an unfriendly meeting.

You can do it MissMarie! One foot in front of he other.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum MissMarie!!