Notices

Westerberg/Replacements on moderation and why it doesn't work

Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Westerberg/Replacements on moderation and why it doesn't work

I found this quote the other day in an interview with Paul Westerberg, who was in the Replacements. For those who don't know, they were an 80s/90s rock band that was well known for performing drunk. Needless to say, the alcoholism eventually caught up with Paul and, without making a big production about it, he stopped drinking. This quote is from when he was confronted after relapsing while on tour a couple years ago that I thought was a good assessment of the futility of trying to "moderate" drinking:

"If you ever fool yourself into moderation as an option, it prolongs it but it doesn’t cure it. I was like, ‘I’ll have two glasses of wine.’ Then it turned into every night and suddenly my head is a little foggy and I’m not thinking as straight as I used to. It creeps up on ya.”
Old 02-14-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that OOTT.

D
Old 02-14-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Okay, I've spent the last few hours with the Replacements playing in my head and I've not played an album in years. Thanks ?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're welcome, star3
I hope it won't be a trigger for you. A lot of songs were at first, but I learned to deal with it. Now even the booziest song or tunes I associated with times I was drunk don't have any effect on me.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Truer words were never spoken.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not a trigger at all, I just hate having music stuck in my head... Or maybe it's just that I didn't choose it. I do like playing DJ. lol

At least it's good music!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I won't post it but Here Comes A Regular was my theme song for a long time.

D
Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

Love me some Replacements, one of my very favorite 80s bands. You can tell from Westerberg's lyrics to Here Comes a Regular that he knows the score.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
You're welcome, star3
I hope it won't be a trigger for you. A lot of songs were at first, but I learned to deal with it. Now even the booziest song or tunes I associated with times I was drunk don't have any effect on me.
Songs involving alcohol and drugs have no effect on me except to remind me of what used to be a part of my daily life.

I didn't know these guys intentionally got drunk before shows.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I actually got to see the Replacments live a long time ago, and intentionally got drunk before the show myself. Back in my late teens there was a small club in the town I lived that hosted several of the punk/alternative bands of that era - Black Flag, the Replacments, Soul Asylum, etc. I got drunk before every single one of them too....wish I knew then what I knew now, just like Mr. Westerburg.

It's nice to hear about someone who made it out vs. the ones who didn't ( Layne Stayley, Scott Weiland, Jim Morrison, the list is way too long to put here ).
Old 02-19-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

I just learned that there's a 2016 book called Trouble Boys: The True Story of The Replacements, written by Bob Mehr. It's gotten great reviews. I just reserved a copy at my library, can't wait to read it.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sober style

I'm halfway through it now, highly recommended! Those Stinson brothers really had it rough growing up. Westerberg is a fascinating character as well. When they got started, he was working as a janitor after he dropped out of of high school. He used to brag there wasn't a high school diploma or driver's license in the entire band.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I'm halfway through it now, highly recommended! Those Stinson brothers really had it rough growing up. Westerberg is a fascinating character as well. When they got started, he was working as a janitor after he dropped out of of high school. He used to brag there wasn't a high school diploma or driver's license in the entire band.
Thanks!!! Big reader here so I will check it out.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

bump.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A lot of heavy drinkers i know have successfully moderated for various reasons, family, job, health, hobby, age etc. I'm definitely in the camp of people who can't and won't moderate because i can't think of anything worse than having 2 drinks and stopping!!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope no one minds if I bump this. I think this bit of commentary on the futility of moderation is always useful.
It's weird, but I really relate to recovery stories by musicians . . . no matter who you are, addiction doesn't play favorites. I think it must be really hard for musicians because there's so many people willing to exploit them for the sake of a buck or for entertainment....record companies, managers, tour sponsors, even fans. . . .so it's great to see people like Joe Walsh and Tom Waits who are in recovery.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scd619x View Post
A lot of heavy drinkers i know have successfully moderated for various reasons, family, job, health, hobby, age etc. I'm definitely in the camp of people who can't and won't moderate because i can't think of anything worse than having 2 drinks and stopping!!
I’m not saying this is wrong, but I’ve never heard of anyone genuinely moderating after being heavy drinkers. I looked at medical and academic papers on this, and they all reported relapses after several months of even years. I’d be very wary of these success stories.

I know a “former” heavy drinker who keeps to the U.K. recommendation of 14 units (about 7 beers) a week, but when he finishes with weekly quota, usually by day 3, he’s an anxious wreck until the new week starts. If that’s moderation for a heavy drinker, no thanks.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm a Tom Waits fan. I didn't know he is in recovery. Thanks for the information.
Failed moderator here. I was sober, really more like abstinent, for 4 plus years. I like to think that now I am embracing recovery. Early days.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I never got to see The Replacements live, but I heard plenty about their "eventful" shows. Glad Paul was able to get help, and stay alive!