Notices

How do you cope with anxiety?

Old 02-14-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you cope with anxiety?

Anxiety is probably the #1 reason I drink and why I started drinking heavily in the first place.

I can't deny that sometimes my anxiety reaches a critical point where even sleeping doesn't wipe my brain clean. The only "reset" button available to me is to get drunk.

And, unfortunately, it works. I sleep like a baby and forget about everything, and I wake up feeling, well, so much better. And then I drift slowly towards abusing it to the point of hangover, and then I definitely DON'T feel better.

People have said that their anxiety reduced after they stopped drinking, but that most definitely is NOT the case for me. Alcohol treats my anxiety better than anything else. Even Xanax, though I've only been taking it 0.25 mg at a time. Perhaps I need to up my dosage? Or figure something else out?

How did you overcome your anxiety, if that was a problem for you?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't take benzo's for anxiety because they are addictive. If you're going to up your dosage be sure and talk with your dr first.

Lifestyle changes are the best way for me to keep anxiety at a manageable level. Exercise, diet, sleep. Learning to practice mindfulness so that my thinking doesn't become obsessive or destructive. My anxiety starts with my thoughts so if I can keep them constructive, my anxiety usually doesn't spin out of control.

How long have been sober at a time?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anxiety is a major reason why I drank as well.
For me, exercise, diet, drinking less caffeine, meditation and a solid schedule with a good night's sleep help a lot.
I also take prozac for my anxiety.
I was once on Xanax and never thought I could live without it. Turns out I can, and I do!

Go easy on yourself. These things take time. Nothing happens overnight. It is a slow process.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am a diagnosed anxiety sufferer myself and most likely a lot of my drinking was aimed at trying to fix/help with my anxiety too. There are 2 main problems with this - you are already realizing the first in seeing that you always end up drinking more than you intended to eventually, in order to "cope". The second is that eventually, drinking will cease to even provide that temporary relief that you get from it. At some point the drinking will actually make your anxiety worse, if you can believe it.

For me the way out was through therapy, practicing mindfulness and meditation, exercise, improving my diet and most importantly stopping drinking. Also very important was acceptance of both my alcoholism and my anxiety itself. You cannot "cure" anxiety like you can cure broken bone or a virus, it's woven into the fabric of our being. You can however do a lot of things to make it a much more livable arrangement, and live a happy fulfilling life.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Anxiety is probably the #1 reason I drink and why I started drinking heavily in the first place.

I can't deny that sometimes my anxiety reaches a critical point where even sleeping doesn't wipe my brain clean. The only "reset" button available to me is to get drunk.

And, unfortunately, it works. I sleep like a baby and forget about everything, and I wake up feeling, well, so much better. And then I drift slowly towards abusing it to the point of hangover, and then I definitely DON'T feel better.

People have said that their anxiety reduced after they stopped drinking, but that most definitely is NOT the case for me. Alcohol treats my anxiety better than anything else. Even Xanax, though I've only been taking it 0.25 mg at a time. Perhaps I need to up my dosage? Or figure something else out?

How did you overcome your anxiety, if that was a problem for you?
Hola:

This is all AV. Take a step back and read your post. I also had and have anxiety and drinking made it worse. My AV also told me that booze helped but it really didn't. Have you troheard d exercise? Starting with a walk will help tremendously.

Your AV lies. Look past that. You know better.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been battling with horrible depression and anxiety issues for years, and alcohol also for me was like a miracle cure,....until it wasn't, leading to full blown addiction and my issues far worse than they've ever been.
The best plan of action I've found is to start regularly seeing a therapist, and get on proper medications if need be.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me, the antidote to anxiety has been prayer, working the AA program and taking anti-anxiety meds prescribed by a psychiatrist who is familiar with treating addicts who cannot safely take certain meds, like benzos.

My anxiety has been successfully treated for many years now.

I'm sorry I suffered needlessly for as long as I did.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobercah View Post
for me, the antidote to anxiety has been prayer, working the aa program and taking anti-anxiety meds prescribed by a psychiatrist who is familiar with treating addicts who cannot safely take certain meds, like benzos.

I'm sorry i suffered needlessly for as long as i did.
ditto
Old 02-14-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Victoria50

It has helped me to watch my carbs - and especially sugar consumption. When my blood sugar is too high or too low, I feel really anxious. I also take an anti-depressant and have Klonopin for when I am in a situation that is very stressful.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety is an ongoing issue for me, but it is more manageable now that I no longer drink. You might like to check out these books:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places That Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain That Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne The Power of Intention and Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Orsilla, Ken Mindful way Through Anxiety

Belly Breathing:

Sit comfortably, with your shoulders, head and neck relaxed.

Breathe in slowly through your nose so that your stomach moves out.

Tighten your stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale slowly through your mouth.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like many of us, I drank to cope with work-related stress. I found, though, that drinking, over time, made me more stressed and anxious. Stopping drinking has helped a lot.
I exercise, get out in the fresh air, and taking long, calming breaths.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
For me, the antidote to anxiety has been prayer, working the AA program and taking anti-anxiety meds prescribed by a psychiatrist who is familiar with treating addicts who cannot safely take certain meds, like benzos.

I'm sorry I suffered needlessly for as long as I did.
What medication did you / are you using?

I appreciate the other lifestyle change advice, but I have tried a lot of it, and maybe not as hard as is required, but something feels so incredibly off with my brain chemistry. As days go by without a drink, my anxiety builds and builds, and no amount of belly breathing or walking in nature can help. I used to be able to hit the reset button on my crippling anxiety by just going to sleep, but lately it's so bad that it interrupts my sleep, and any hours of sleep I do get do little to wipe the slate clean. Alcohol is the only thing powerful enough to get me to calm down.

Maybe I need to do mindfulness and deep breathing for, like, months? Before it takes any effect? In that case, I'm looking at an absolute onslaught of unrelenting anxiety for months in a row, all the while knowing that, at any point, I could have a few drinks and do that instead. There is a massive hurdle I need to cross, and I haven't the slightest clue how to get there. It feels more serious than just eating better and going for walks and trying to breathe. I can't stress enough how all-consuming it gets and how little the minor things will do to address that.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know how long you've been sober but if you can't string together a few months then its hard to know where your alcoholism ends and your anxiety begins, ya know?

As far as brain chemistry, I'm pretty sure Xanax doesn't really address that. Its really just alcohol in pill form (as are all benzo's). It just gets ya tipsy. Xanax acts very quickly, like taking a shot, and wears off quickly. Stuff like Ativan acts more slowly and stays in the body longer. Maybe talk with your dr about an SSRI or the like that actually will effect brain chemistry I believe. They never worked for me but that doesn't mean they won't for you.

If you can't get ahead of this have you ever thought of entering a true dual diagnosis treatment facility where they can work with you on both your addiction and the anxiety? Seems you have to get ahead of it somehow...
Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
All is Change

Mindfulness helps very much. Probably the one thing that has made the greatest difference is finding I am allergic or intolerant to some food. By cutting out wheat and dramatically reducing dairy my anxiety has gone from chronic to periodic.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've had a serious anxiety problem for a very long time. It was extremely disableing (sp?). Got almost no sleep for days, than eventually crash. I know what you mean when you said that alcohol helped a lot with sleep, etc. After several nights of not sleeping, I'd get drunk and sleep like a baby. Felt great the next day. Unfortunately, that only works for a short time and eventually makes things worse. What seems to work best for me now is a combination of meds (non-narcotic) and working out. I take medication for sleep and I think that makes a big difference. I also have another med that I take as needed. I also go to the gym several days a week. I also have to accept that fact that I'm just a high-strung person and I have to deal with it. But between the meds and LOTS of cardio, it is manageable. Hope things work out for you. John