Notices

Letting go of my training wheels.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Here and now

Red face Letting go of my training wheels.

So about two weeks ago, my therapist told me that I am at a point where I am in good standing as far as my anxiety goes. I have dealt with crippling health anxiety for the better part of 4 years, which I used to drink to numb out once or twice a week to a blackout state, which resulted in my being curled up in a ball for the whole day after, and extremely uneasy a few days after. Since august I have not had a drop, which has been incredibly difficult but beyond words to describe its worth.

I am a little, no, more than a little nervous going forward without my therapist, but at the same time I have found a new sense of confidence in myself. I have also been equipped with tools that I will not forget, nor put in storage. Life can get scary, but I have a lot of opportunities coming up, and have been accepted into an environmental technology course at a very recognized college here in Canada, which while I was drinking I would say "I'm too old at 25 to go back" or "You won't be able to handle it, you're a panic stricken wreck!". Today this is not the case.

I give lots of thanks to my will power, my therapist, and even more so this community. Many of you, be it responding to me and giving amazing information or encouragement, or reading your own experiences have helped this young man more than you can fathom. I thank you.

Gotta experience the dark to appreciate the light I suppose. Hard times are a part of life, I would much rather experience them with a Sober mind.

This is growth.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You seem to be doing really well Ekohe so your analogy is a good one and I'm sure you are going to be fine.

Thank you for the post
Old 02-12-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations and good luck. You can do it.

I have also been sober since August and I returned to nursing school last month.. I'm turning 32 here soon. I'm far from the oldest in my class.
You are not too old for anything at 25.
I think 50 is probably too old to considering becoming a nurse just because it is physically demanding but I don't think there's such a thing as too old for a career change
In fact I plan to go back to college for a bachelor's in social work, the beginning of a different path.. I might not finish it until I'm 40 but I am okay with that!
Old 02-12-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you got help for your anxiety issues and that you are now ready and able to move on with your education.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes on your new chapter of life Ekohe

D
Old 02-13-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like your metaphor (training wheels).
Old 02-13-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Here and now

Seemed fitting. Thank you for the responses!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have returned back to uni since quitting drinking again. I find it a pointless exercise trying to study unless I'm sober... I am 39 and there are people much older than me on my course.
Good luck xx
Old 02-13-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

c011: