Notices

Kombucha

Old 02-07-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kombucha

Hi everyone

So as I've 'over' shared in a few threads I have systemic candida. OMG it is awful. The rash on my stomach and back is something I have never experienced before. So as I now become the expert on all things Candida, I have learned that Kombucha (full of probiotics and other goodies) is good for gut health, thus good for balancing all those weird critters that keep our gut healthy (and our immune system) and strong.

Now I'll share I have a bit of a resentment toward Whole foods and Starbucks. Not just the fact that they are both wildly overpriced and sometimes not even as good as their more affordable counterparts, its the whole 'image' thing. That 'whole foods shopper'. She's blonde (I'm blonde too btw) she's fit (guess I'm that too) she has 2 perfect adorable blonde kids, her lexus cross over, she does Barre and yoga (ok I do yoga) and she's probably really nice and has a hot husband. But this is my resentment talking ok?

As I become all things Candida fighting I purchase Oregano Oil from whole foods. Well its not the right thing so yesterday I go back to return it. No prob. So I think, ok, get a few more candida fighting overpriced goodies. So I pick up organic kefir, organic coconut milk and organic Kombucha (I am getting somewhere with all this). I decide 'Ooo, a veggie juice sounds good (well not really but good for my gut). So I stand in line at the juice bar, with my organic goodies and start talking to the guy in front of me about his running shoes. "Are you a trail runner?" he asks "no" " I love Kombucha" "I hate it but I'm hoping it helps" etc. I literally AM my worst nightmare. Hahaha. Ok I seriously am going somewhere with this....

I get home. Bath time because skin is going crazy. So I take the Kefir I bought the day before (commercial so probably has antibiotics, not gonna drink it) pour that, some apple cider vinegar and some coconut oil (salad dressing anyone?) into my bath, grab my Kombucha and my water (infused with apple cider vinegar and aloe vera) and begin to marinate in this mixture...which feels great. Now I've had a few sips of Kombucha before and thought 'YUCK'. So I shook it up (bad idea, its fizzy) open and slam it. Its actually kinda good, but that's beside the point. So I'm marinating and I think, what is this feeling? Its slight, and subtle, but ya can't fool me. I'm ever so slightly buzzed. WHAT? But hey, maybe its just all those good probiotics. So a few minutes later I'm no longer feeling buzzed, I do feel good, ya know, bath and all. So later my curious mind reads the Kombucha bottle: This product is fermented tea and has trace amounts of naturally occurring alcohol. Ha! No wonder.

Made me laugh my ass off. So that's my ridiculously long, boring stupid Kombucha story. If you're worried about being triggered, don't drink Kombucha. And its disgusting. I don't even know if I'm spelling it right
Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad I stuck it out to read the entire story!!! You're funny!
Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha! Sorry about that Jill. Thanks for reading though!
Old 02-07-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That story cracked me up! And I've been looking for Kamboucha in FL but haven't found any yet as I need probiotics due to meds I'm taking. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-07-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ellie

Well there are tons of cheaper ways to get probiotics. I'm sure FL has a Vitamin Shoppe. They carry lots of probiotic supplements. I've read that the more 'strains' of good stuff they carry (like 12-15) and the higher the count, the better. I take a 15 stain, 50 billion count. But ask your dr what they think.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I bought kombucha at a shop in the lobby of my office building a few years ago. After drinking half of it I looked at the ingredients list and saw "alcohol" in tiny lettering and dumped the rest.

I learned it pays to read the ingredients list on unfamiliar products.