Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with Naltrexone/Antabuse/other alcohol medications?

Notices

Anyone have experience with Naltrexone/Antabuse/other alcohol medications?

Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Anyone have experience with Naltrexone/Antabuse/other alcohol medications?

I am currently in a class that discusses the psychology and history of drug use and abuse. We were discussing these medications earlier.

Naltrexone is a medication that reverses the effects of opioids and is used primarily in the management of alcohol dependence and opioid dependence. It can be either pill or injection form. Essentially, it blocks the reward centre of the brain that says, "I want more booze," and has had fairly good effects for some people.

Antabuse (disulfiram) blocks an enzyme that is involved in metabolizing alcohol intake. Disulfiram produces very unpleasant side effects when combined with alcohol in the body.

Now, obviously the end goal is sobriety, and those in some recovery programs might go against using any medication and go about it the "natural way," but what are anyone's thoughts and experiences with these medications?

I would be willing to try anything if it keeps me sober, while obviously researching the side-effects and things of that nature while taking these medications. Interested to hear others thoughts or experiences.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are quite a few threads on the topic with mixed opinions. Antabuse seems to be fairly successful for the reason that if they do drink, they will get very sick which in itself is enough of a deterrent.
Naltrexone seems to have some success in the months shot form, though seems to not work as well with the pill
Campral is another one that many say seems to work quite well for the cravings.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would consult your physician to determine what is RIGHT for you, given your medical history, allergies, etc. But I can say that for some, campral (acamprosate) and carbamazepine have worked. The first works to counter the cravings and withdrawal symptoms. The other helps to prevent seizures (also is sometimes prescribed for bipolar disorder and other things). Worked for me after 10+ years of drinking. Did not even taper. Again, though, (disclaimer) what worked for one does not always work for another. Always consult with your doctor regarding these questions.

I have also heard of antabuse and one of my doctors suggested it as a possible solution. Never tried it. Sounds terrible, albeit effective as a option to take if others fail. I was told that if you are on this medication and then drink, it results in severe nausea and other unpleasantness (understatement). The idea is conditioning (think Pavlov), and it works.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I have experience with Naltrexone, Campral and Antabuse. I didn't find the Naltrexone did much for me - I continued to drink for the most part. Antabuse - I wasn't great at remembering to take it, and even when I did I still drank through it.

Campral I had some great success with. I took it for the first few months of sobriety and it cut my cravings down to almost 0. I still thought about drinking, but the thoughts never seemed to progress to any compulsion or serious desire to pick up. It gave me the ability to think rationally about it.

But of course - everyone has different experiences and reactions to these medications. I DO NOT recommend drinking while on Antabuse, and I don't want to give the impression that my stupidity is a safe option.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You might care to look up 'The Sinclair Method' which is a method of addiction 'extinction'. Seems to have a reasonable success rate.

Also a new approach using an off label drug called baclofen (google is your friend) is gaining some ground. I tried the second but for whatever reason it didn't work out.

There are forums out there. None come with any particular recommendation from me.

As an afterthought - Antabuse seems pretty successful. I know a few pretty far gone alcohol addicts who have found it good for taking drinking completely off the table as an option. I also know a few that have 'tested' the drug and made themselves very ill trying to drink on it.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, antabuse has been a lifesaver. No side effects unless you drink on it, and it lasts in your system for 10 to 14 days so after you get a therapeutic does built up you only have to take it every other day or so. You also need to be off it for 10 to 14 days in order to drink, so hopefully the craving will pass by then. People who do drink on it become very ill, but that is the real point of antabuse. The only thing I have notice is that I no longer can use my face cleaner that I used to use at night time because it has alcohol in it, and burned when I used it. Apparently you need to stay away from mouthwashes containing alcohol but it's fairly easy to avoid medicines and mouthwashes because a lot of them don't contain alcohol. Another thing I found is that liquid Nyquil also interacts, but if you take the capsules it does not, so if you get a cold and need it you might want to take the capsules.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, experience and yes, success.

I took Naltrexone a couple of years ago and continued to drink. I can't comment on the efficacy because, well, I kept on drinking.

When I quit drinking 350 days ago, cold turkey and full stop, never to drink again, my psych and I adjusted my drug regimen. I took Antabuse for the first 90 days I was sober and it became automatic; I had toyed around with it before (skipping doses, drinking while on it) so this time she had me get a witness signature, time and date, and sign myself, every single day. It became routine. At 90 days she felt I was strong enough I didn't need it; we have kept it in a remote "back pocket" in case I ever need to again- for example, when I went back to work in a restaurant we discussed whether I should take it again. I didn't feel I needed to and let her be the judge (she agreed) based on where I was and how solid in my sobriety. Antabuse is a drug I would suggest to people serious about completely quitting, and no one else.

I also started taking Campral then and still take it 3x daily as maintenance. I have had ZERO physical cravings. Only one or two mental ones that I can recall. If Campral is a part of why, I will gladly take it forever and that's also her call.

ALL of my med use (I also take ativan as needed for anxiety, paxil in a low dose nightly, and seroquel for sleep nightly (it also has an anti-anx component) and lamictal for prior dx of BPD) is a result of honest communication with my dr and MOST importantly, my absolute commitment to permanent abstinence.

I am one who believes there are great drugs out there who can help us tremendously- any one that can be a useful tool in my box to stay sober is welcome.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just started Campral yesterday Newb, I was on it before but relapsed when I quit it. Hopefully this time I will succeed. I found it cleared my head fog and reduces cravings, it is non addictive and you need a prescription from doctor for it. Also its very expensive but not as expensive as the poison I was consuming. Best of luck on your journey.