You Are Somebody

Old 02-04-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lightbulb You Are Somebody

You are somebody
by Ralph Marston

There’s no need for you to strive to be somebody. You are somebody already, with your own unique gifts to offer life.

What a waste it would be to spend your whole life seeking to be someone you’re not. What a true joy it is to spend your moments expressing and fulfilling the authentic person you are.

Today is a day to dance your own dance, to sing your own song. Live the joy that is yours to live, and create the beauty that is yours to give.

Pay no attention to the fleeting, superficial vision of success that the world seeks to sell you. Build a success that has real meaning for you by being true to who you are.

Most of the disappointments you’ve experienced have been the result of striving to follow someone else’s dream. Let go of the need to do that, and feel the freedom, the amazing effectiveness, and the exhilaration of living a purpose that is truly you.

You are somebody unique, valuable, beautiful and worthy of the best life has to offer. Now is the time to fully live that truth.

© 2007 Ralph S. Marston, Jr.
From The Daily Motivator website at The Daily Motivator - You are somebody
Old 02-04-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today is a day to dance your own dance, to sing your own song. Live the joy that is yours to live, and create the beauty that is yours to give.
For the longest time I was a living reaction to how my son was doing. If he was doing well with his recovery, I was doing well. If he relapsed and fell into chaos, so did I.

After years of this, I totally lost sight of who I was and what I wanted from life. Really! One meeting I was at they went around the circle and asked each of us to describe who we were in one sentence. When it came to me I burst into tears and sobbed uncontrollably. I had NO IDEA who I was, how pathetic was that? It was a good thing because it was the first time that I realized that I had lost "me" and become a stranger to myself.

I didn't have to stay like that and I chose not to. To say that was the moment that I was reborn sounds like a cliche, but the new me humbly asked for help to build herself into a confident, happy, person with boundaries and who knew how to take care of herself.

Today I dance my own dance, sing my own song, however off key. I dream my own dreams knowing that I CAN make them come true.

How freeing it was to meet "that stranger called me" and learn to love her all over again.

Hugs
Old 02-04-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
For the longest time I was a living reaction to how my son was doing. If he was doing well with his recovery, I was doing well. If he relapsed and fell into chaos, so did I.

After years of this, I totally lost sight of who I was and what I wanted from life. Really! One meeting I was at they went around the circle and asked each of us to describe who we were in one sentence. When it came to me I burst into tears and sobbed uncontrollably. I had NO IDEA who I was, how pathetic was that? It was a good thing because it was the first time that I realized that I had lost "me" and become a stranger to myself.

I didn't have to stay like that and I chose not to. To say that was the moment that I was reborn sounds like a cliche, but the new me humbly asked for help to build herself into a confident, happy, person with boundaries and who knew how to take care of herself.

Today I dance my own dance, sing my own song, however off key. I dream my own dreams knowing that I CAN make them come true.

How freeing it was to meet "that stranger called me" and learn to love her all over again.

Hugs
Love this, and I'm right there with you! Leaving my STBXAH was the best thing that's ever happened to me. I FINALLY know myself, and while I did lose a lot of myself while I was with him, I was already lost to begin with. I didn't like who I was, and now I do! Everything happens for a reason. I'm a much better mother and a much better person all-around.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful and hopeful shares.

The messages are inspiring, and I am glad to have found this thread this morning.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You are somebody unique, valuable, beautiful and worthy of the best life has to offer. Now is the time to fully live that truth.
When I was living in darker days, this would just be a bunch of fluff to me. It would be about other people and not about me. I felt worthy of nothing and didn't even know my truth much less how to live it.

In hindsight I wish I had read more phrases like that, pondered them, turned them over in my mind, played them forward and backward until I knew every word and believed that it just might be true.

It didn't describe the sorry mess of a person that I was, neurotic and exhausted, beaten down by addiction and futility. But somehow a little light went off that maybe I "could" be like that if I changed my attitude and my ways and worked very hard at my own recovery...because lord knows, by the time I surrendered and came to recovery I was on my hands and knees, praying for something, anything, better than the life I had been living.

They are not "just words". They are possibilities that are available to YOU. Believe it and walk toward the light of recovery and I promise your life will shine.

Hugs
Old 02-08-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They are not "just words". They are possibilities that are available to YOU. Believe it and walk toward the light of recovery and I promise your life will shine.

Hugs
Yes, indeed. I am on the same page. Hugs to you, as well.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bump.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, keeping the faith.

That share is helpful and the message so significant.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Keepingthefaith, thanks for bringing this forward. Throughout my recovery it has been readings like this that touched something in my heart and made me want to be a better person.

I am grateful for all who went before me to light my path and I hope that by sharing what helped me will help the newcomers or those struggling today.

Positive readings, positive thoughts all lead to a positive life. It happened for me and can happen for you too. Not one of us is hopeless, we each have that spark of life still inside us that just needs a little kindling to glow once more.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Excellent thread. This journey is interesting. I think we tell ourselves don't go in the hole, but we unfortunately some times slowly inch our way in it anyway. It's insidious. Then, we look back baffled and dazed we went in it...and then it slowly dawns on us we lost ourselves along the way. The journey to work on ourselves and get our lives centered and grounded takes time, effort and patience.

Do you mind sharing what did you do to find yourself, Ann (and anyone else)?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I started by taking my focus off my son and I stopped giving his addiction all my energy. I went to meetings and found my balance and spent time working the 12 Steps with my sponsor and began slowly to get to know that stranger called "me".

I took time to think about what interested ME in life and took up photography as a hobby seeking to capture the beauty in nature. The more I grew in my hobby, the more I wanted to learn and today I have a passion for lakes and forests and caves and all places where nature, birds, and wild animals show me their beauty .

I learned that I was deeply spiritual, I learned that I love quietude and outdoor loveliness and I learned to listen, observe, and make my own choices in life without apology to anyone. I learned that what other people do or say or think is all about them and nothing to do with me.

I learned to find joy in every day no matter what it may bring and I learned that life is precious and to be embraced with gratitude.

There was more to my journey but the short version is that I found myself when I stopped looking for "me" in anyone else. When it no longer mattered what anyone thought of me but instead it mattered what I thought of myself. I
alone hold the key to my happiness, always have but looked to others to make me happy and remained disappointed for years.

I hope others will share on this. It's not as simple to explain as I thought.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Most of the disappointments you’ve experienced have been the result of striving to follow someone else’s dream. Let go of the need to do that, and feel the freedom, the amazing effectiveness, and the exhilaration of living a purpose that is truly you.
I struggle with this everyday. I'm definitely trying to let go of other peoples expectations about me, but I find myself facing guilt when I do that. I'm trying to find my purpose and my dreams. <-my biggest priority right now. I have to get over the guilt hurdle somehow.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started by taking my focus off my son and I stopped giving his addiction all my energy. I went to meetings and found my balance and spent time working the 12 Steps with my sponsor and began slowly to get to know that stranger called "me".

I took time to think about what interested ME in life and took up photography as a hobby seeking to capture the beauty in nature. The more I grew in my hobby, the more I wanted to learn and today I have a passion for lakes and forests and caves and all places where nature, birds, and wild animals show me their beauty .

I learned that I was deeply spiritual, I learned that I love quietude and outdoor loveliness and I learned to listen, observe, and make my own choices in life without apology to anyone. I learned that what other people do or say or think is all about them and nothing to do with me.

I learned to find joy in every day no matter what it may bring and I learned that life is precious and to be embraced with gratitude.

There was more to my journey but the short version is that I found myself when I stopped looking for "me" in anyone else. When it no longer mattered what anyone thought of me but instead it mattered what I thought of myself. I
alone hold the key to my happiness, always have but looked to others to make me happy and remained disappointed for years.

I hope others will share on this. It's not as simple to explain as I thought.
Thanks, Ann. This is beautiful. I appreciate you taking the time to share your journey.