Notices

Dont even know what to say anymore!

Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dont even know what to say anymore!

I dont even know exactly what to say i really dont!

I have posted here a MILLION times promising i will stop drinking, You all have given me good sound advice and yet i didnt take it. I do wanna quit i DO but im not sure why i haven't yet! This drinking has put me into a NIGHTMARE, i now drink around 12 pints of beer a night which has only worsened my anxiety/ptsd and depression!

Is it normal for an alcoholic to have panic attacks and anxiety? or is it just an issue of mine outside of alcoholism? i cant even leave my bed some days i am so scared! This isnt me!

Im sorry for ranting im sorry for not staying sober when i said i would! Im still drunk and venting i guess!

Ive not even gone into half the details of my hell that im experiencing , just expressing!

Sorry im messed up right now and in a BAD DARK place! didn know where else to turn!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh and P.S

I am sorry for jumping in and out of this site over the years! I dont mean to tire on anyone!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my limited experience it's a bit of both, alcoholics tend to be people with a lot of fear and anxiety, I know I am. Second problem drinking amplifies this significantly and the more you drink the worse it gets, creating a cycle where you are each time more fearful and so drink more and then end up even worse.

The physical symptoms feed into this, tiredness, sickness, insomnia etc.

Only way out is to quit for good, then things start getting better, working for me so far. I hope you get out!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Chilledice - good to see you. You always have us to turn to. Please don't apologize for seeking encouragement & understanding.

It took me a long time to get it too. I had to be ready, but I'm not sure what I was waiting for. My dependency made life miserable. I always suffered from social anxiety - and my daily drinking made it so much worse. I'm very glad to see you back. This can be the time you win.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Chilledice - good to see you. You always have us to turn to. Please don't apologize for seeking encouragement & understanding.

It took me a long time to get it too. I had to be ready, but I'm not sure what I was waiting for. My dependency made life miserable. I always suffered from social anxiety - and my daily drinking made it so much worse. I'm very glad to see you back. This can be the time you win.
Thank you so much Hevyn seriously appreciate you all
Old 02-04-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unwound View Post
In my limited experience it's a bit of both, alcoholics tend to be people with a lot of fear and anxiety, I know I am. Second problem drinking amplifies this significantly and the more you drink the worse it gets, creating a cycle where you are each time more fearful and so drink more and then end up even worse.

The physical symptoms feed into this, tiredness, sickness, insomnia etc.

Only way out is to quit for good, then things start getting better, working for me so far. I hope you get out!
I appreciate your input thank you so much!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To be honest, the anxiety, self loathing, depression were the main reasons I stopped drinking.

I could cope with the physical bit - the hangover and the sickness and the headache.
The worry, isolating, self hatred, regret, anxiety I could not handle.

I remember one christmas eve and it suddenly dawned on me.
If I did not want to feel that bad, it was best not to drink too much.

I gradually cut down then I stopped on the 14th of Feb 2012.

I can't say life is all peaches and cream.
But 100% I do not miss what alcohol brought me.

Alcohol in itself is a depressant.
Why not try a month, then see f your anxiety lessens?
If not, at least you know its not drink making you feel like you do.

Wishing you the best.

PS - don't say, do!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get it. Quitting over and over again only to go back. Some of us consistently beat ourselves over the head with a sledgehammer till we get that we can't drink. Hopefully you get it this time. Same for me, all I can do is stay sober today.

Welcome back.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess I drank about as much as you did near the end. I also never really felt anxiety until the last few years of drinking so I would say my anxiety was alcohol induced.

As far as finally quitting goes I tried one or two times every year for fourteen years. I wish I could describe why it finally took but it just did. I do believe I felt like I was running out of time before something terrible happened. Like so many say you just have to want sobriety more then anything. We are here for you
Old 02-04-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's the same for us all. We have today, this hour This minute to not drink.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
To be honest, the anxiety, self loathing, depression were the main reasons I stopped drinking.

I could cope with the physical bit - the hangover and the sickness and the headache.
The worry, isolating, self hatred, regret, anxiety I could not handle.

I remember one christmas eve and it suddenly dawned on me.
If I did not want to feel that bad, it was best not to drink too much.

I gradually cut down then I stopped on the 14th of Feb 2012.

I can't say life is all peaches and cream.
But 100% I do not miss what alcohol brought me.

Alcohol in itself is a depressant.
Why not try a month, then see f your anxiety lessens?
If not, at least you know its not drink making you feel like you do.

Wishing you the best.

PS - don't say, do!
EXACTLY! i can deal with hangovers and migraines but this mental torture it has done to me is worse than i ever imagined! I was diagnosed with ptsd and gad along with severe depression........ I tried self medicating yet to no avail! I have to get out of this poop called booze!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
Is it normal for an alcoholic to have panic attacks and anxiety? or is it just an issue of mine outside of alcoholism? i cant even leave my bed some days i am so scared!
^^^This is one of the reasons I quit. Its no way to live life. Who wants to go through life scared of their own shadow? If you quit, it will get much better. I wish you the best.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's starting to work for me Chilledice at now, 97 days sober. I know the dark place you describe but slowly the anxiety is abating , and there really is some light. . It's not easy, but so worth it.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
^^^This is one of the reasons I quit. Its no way to live life. Who wants to go through life scared of their own shadow? If you quit, it will get much better. I wish you the best.
I hope it does i reaaaally hope so! I have no mental strength left! I just wanna be care free again and live without fear! i never thought it would take me to THIS! but it has!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drinking will only make those conditions worse.
Its pouring depression onto depression.
Topping up your anxiety with a large shot of fear.

Don't self medicate with booze.
Self medicate by getting all the help you can - talking, seeing your GP, asking for help, eating well, sleeping.

Honestly now even if I have dose of cough medicine that has a slight alcohol content I feel anxious a few hours after.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I remember a few years ago you guys WARNED me that alcoholism will take me to a hellish place ( i only had emotional issues then) and i didnt believe you in all honesty.........Now i believe you! I have arrived there!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back Chilledice,

If you look at my join date it is March of 2012, but my sobriety date is January 1, 2016.

It took me a while alternating between periods of sobriety and failed attempts at moderation to finally get it right, and life is so much better sober.

I also have dealt with anxiety my entire life, and I used to think wine was a good way to alleviate anxiety, and stress, but truthfully, it just made things worse the next day.

SR is the biggest part of my recovery. I read and post on here daily. I have found the January of 2016 class, and 24 hour thread to be very helpful. You should join us on the 24 hour thread, and also join the February of 2017 class.

There are lots of paths to recovery, spend some time reading around on here and think about what will work for you.

You can do this!

❤️Delilah
Old 02-04-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Chilledice

It's like those ads...a puppy is not just for Xmas, its for a lifetime...
recovery's a lot like that too.

I needed to commit to recovery and a new way of life and a new day of dealing with problems.

I had to accept that if I wanted change I needed to make change and give up drinking - for good.

Why not commit to posting here regularly again - and also commit to some recovery action/changes off the boards, in your "real life"?

D
Old 02-04-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome back Chilledice,

If you look at my join date it is March of 2012, but my sobriety date is January 1, 2016.

It took me a while alternating between periods of sobriety and failed attempts at moderation to finally get it right, and life is so much better sober.

I also have dealt with anxiety my entire life, and I used to think wine was a good way to alleviate anxiety, and stress, but truthfully, it just made things worse the next day.

SR is the biggest part of my recovery. I read and post on here daily. I have found the January of 2016 class, and 24 hour thread to be very helpful. You should join us on the 24 hour thread, and also join the February of 2017 class.

There are lots of paths to recovery, spend some time reading around on here and think about what will work for you.

You can do this!

❤️Delilah
Thank you so much Delilah
Old 02-04-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Changing

i'm sure every time i get some days together that this is it.
well it isn't.
i'm insane.
i want so badly to talk to someone.