Notices

Superbowl Tomorrow...huge Pats fan

Old 02-04-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Superbowl Tomorrow...huge Pats fan

This year I was sober on Thanksgiving for the first time in probably 12 years. I usually don't get emotional about my drinking (unless I'm weak from a binge) but it almost brought me to tears to think about the fact that I had been drunk for that holiday so many years in a row.

Well, it's another holiday for me tomorrow. I'm only 32. The first time I watched this team win a super bowl I was about 16 years old (and got totally loaded). Patriots games are usually an automatic for me and my friends to get hammered. Never mind big games like this.

Instead of going to one of the parties that my friends are hosting (where at least 50% of the people there will drink until blackout) I've decided to go to my parents with my girlfriend. Nice safe place.

However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that this is a hard one. The pull to get blasted with my friends is hard. Keep getting flashes in my mind of how fun of a scene it would be to be with all the boys.

Here's to getting through this one!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me and you are a lot alike in that way. I love football so drinking and football went hand in hand. I loved when they started Thursday night football cause it gave me another reason to drink.

The Pats offense has impressed me this year. Even with the loss of Gronk they still get it done.

Here's to being sober tomorrow,
Old 02-04-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tom Brady doesn't drink.

Do your job
Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand how you're feeling, omnicare. I had to skip a few parties and felt a little sad, but I never regretted my decision the next day.

Good for you making a sober plan!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It could be worse. You could be a Jets fan.

Go Seahawks!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have to get through the first one, before you can get through the rest of them, right? Since I've quit my wife and I have done New Years, Birthdays, thanksgiving, super-bowls and 4th of july by ourselves. I don't want to be around people drinking. Sobriety is a different way of living life.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job on doing what you know is best for you. I can almost guarantee you that it isn't something you will look back on with regret. This will be my first sober Super Bowl in 13 years, and I too am taking the safe road. Best of luck!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will never regret waking up sober -- even if the Pats lose. I'm a Saints fan so I'm used to my team losing! The great thing about watching it sober is that you won't forget any of the plays. (I guess that could be good or bad, lol). I went to the Saints/Colts SP in Miami and while it was one of the best experiences of my life, I wish I didn't drink as much as I did that day. I don't like the Patriots but I like the dirty birds even less....so go Pats! Enjoy the game!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So glad the Pats won. It was a surreal comeback win..
Old 02-06-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How did you do?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How'd you do?
Pats fan here, too.

<3
Old 02-06-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear you Omnicare. First Superbowl for me in a lonnnngggg time not drinking. But we made it! Stay strong!!!