Notices

Just introducing myself

Old 02-02-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just introducing myself

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I used to lurk these boards many years (and many attempts at quitting alcohol) ago. My problem has gotten worse over the years. In my younger years, I had some run-ins with the law due to alcohol, had to have a surgery after injuring myself due to alcohol, and have spent countless dollars on alcohol. It controlled my life, and has continued to do so (i.e. not able to drive when drunk, not interested in attending events without alcohol, etc).

I recently found out I will be having my first child, yet continued drinking for several weeks. Tuesday night I was on my way to start the nightly ritual, opening the first of what would have been many beers and probably a couple of shots, and it was like a switch in my brain flipped. I had a sudden panic for my health, my life, my wife, and my unborn child. I asked myself what I was doing, and had no answer.

I have tried to quit many times before, but it was like I was giving up something I wanted to keep doing. This time is different. I have no desire to drink or be anywhere near alcohol. It is not something I ever want to do again.

My only concern now is how much damage has been done. I have drank hard for the past 12 years. I scheduled a doctor’s appointment for tomorrow, and I am consumed by fear. I have been hardly able to work this week with the impending fear. Just praying for the best.

I will follow-up soon. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! so glad you posted, and this is such a great place to be for support as you probably already know as a former lurker, and congrats on expecting your first child!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

welcome and looking forward to reading about your progress
Old 02-02-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No need to be fearful. Just be very honest with your Dr. Don't fudge when he asks you how much you drink. Start with getting the most out of your Dr appt. and go from there. One day at a time.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you 'get it', that stopping drinking is a huge positive in your life - for you, your wife and your unborn child. You will be giving up alcohol but what you will gain will be immeasurable. It's normal to be afraid at the outset of recovery, but hopefully talking to your dr will help you through that.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, MyNext. We're ready to encourage and support you.

I felt compelled to keep drinking, even though it was doing nothing for me in the end. It was no longer fun or relaxing, & caused me great anxiety. You don't need it. Congratulations on the baby - how exciting.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome all
Old 02-02-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You are smart to see your doctor to help you get started. I drank from15-45. I stopped drinking during g my three pregnancies, but slowly started back again. I have been sober for one year and one month, and all aspects of my health are better.

Glad you are here!
Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is a good chance you dodged a bullet, as they say, this time. The liver is resilient, to a point, and if you have done some damage there is hope in it healing if you abstain from now on. The bloodwork will tell a lot of the story, fatty liver is seen during colonoscopy (not usually till 50) but I think there are indicators in bloodwork for that condition. Wow, a baby!!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

It's a great idea to see a doctor!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR :_)
I hope (and expect) you'll find that everything is fine tomorrow

D
Old 02-03-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How great that you have decided to stop now that you are having a baby.

My father was an *alcoholic* and how I wish he hadn't been, and how, when approaching death, he felt the same.

Enjoy every sober minute of your new baby's life, it's irreplaceable and you'll love it. Drink and you'll miss it

Congratulations and welcome.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support, it really is much appreciated.

Just a quick update: Went to the appointment today. The doctor didn't seem overly concerned, as he did not find any evidence of anything abnormal on palpation (I think checking for liver enlargement, pancreas enlargement, fluid in the abdomen). I go for blood work Monday, and he did include liver and kidney function tests.

Thank you all again. Just reading the stories and ideas on this board helps with the anxiety. You are all awesome!