Notices

What is co dependency???

Old 01-31-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is co dependency???

I've seen it mentioned tonnes and looked it up but didn't get a satisfactory answer... so what do u guys know? ?? What is it... how do you know if you are co dependent. .. what can u do about it!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Being addicted to the person who has the addiction is the way I usually look at it.
Person A has a relationship to person B. Person B is an alcoholic or addict and they do awful and rotten things to person A in the relationship, but person A cannot or will not detach from them.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, that is a very large question. Lots of info about co-dependency on the informational "stickies" at the top of the main page of this site.
On this site, which is a recovery site, I guess I would define co-dependency as being in a relationship with someone, could be family, could be a spouse or SO,. The SO has an addiction to drugs or alcohol. The co-dependent-you- helps the addict to continue the bad habit of choice by his/her behavior. Example: your sib is alcohol-dependent. You allow her to live with you after her spouse has booted her. She continues to drink. You continue to let her live with you, and maybe give her money when she needs some. She doesn't get better, you have a drunk on your hands, and you are probably pretty sick of it. But instead of kicking her out, you enable her by your behavior., because she is family, or because you don't want her to be homeless.
This rather unwieldy explanation aside, are you in a relationship in which you think you may be co-dependent?
Old 01-31-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewRomanMan View Post
Being addicted to the person who has the addiction is the way I usually look at it.
Person A has a relationship to person B. Person B is an alcoholic or addict and they do awful and rotten things to person A in the relationship, but person A cannot or will not detach from them.
Pretty much this. It's a person that's addicted to being in a toxic relationship with an addict. They enable each other, which leads to a whirlwind effect causing both to keep getting worse and worse.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A codependent has no concept of self outside of how others see them.

Their life may or may not revolve around an alcoholic, but usually it will revolve around constantly vying for the love and attention and affection of a person who is emotionally unavailable.

It may stem from early childhood programming - mother was a narcissist who couldn't love them, father walked out or was abusive, one or both was probably an alcoholic. Going in to adulthood, the person will seek out what they have been conditioned to expect as love - they will fixate on a person who ignores them or abuses them. That person tends to be an alcoholic, which is just perfect because we need someone who will put up with us and enable us.

So the codependent is the emotionally needy person who chases after the emotionally unavailable alcoholic and tries to fix them.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Melody Beattie has written a couple of fantastic books on codependency:

Codependent No More, and The Language of Letting Go
Old 01-31-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The CoDa handbook makes for really interesting reading.

Not every codependent has been abused. Many come from dysfunction backgrounds where love was shown in unhealthy ways, or just not shown at all. My parents stayed together 'for the sake of the children' and created a toxic atmosphere with all their passive aggressive hating on each other and subsequent depressive states that meant they were emotionally unavailable to those kids they're sacrificing their lives for... althought their intentions were good (i understand that now), and it was kind of what people 'did' back then, it all made for a very confusing time and I developed some odd behaviours to protect myself, get love and affection (mostly inappropriate and from a scarily early age), and a deep seated notion of not-enoughness (ie never feeling that I was, or had, enough. I was clever and pretty and had friends. But to my mind I was not clever enough, or pretty enough, or likeable enough - and I worked so hard over compensating for these perceived failings and faults to make myself loveable, likeable, even just acceptable to others that I kinda lost track of who I was. Besides, it's was emotionally draining, and that's where the alcohol and other obsessive behaviours offered some perceived 'relief'. I was a people pleaser extraordinaire, and it was unsustainable. Sometimes unsustainable looked like rebellion, and resulted in some fairly dramatic 'eff you' moments, where I rejected others in a horrible way, rather than risk rejection myself.

Codependency is a painful place to get stuck. For me, the CoDa book really helped, and I went to a few CoDa meetings as well. I also found the MB book really useful, along with some inner-city healing work, which was really valuable. I still kinda hated that lost little ghost of myself in years past, and needed to find some love and compassion for her so that I could move on.

I still get attacks of not-enoughness and have to work at remembering what I've learned so that I don't keep repeating my old mistakes. But things can get so much better with some exploration and learning. The old anxiety no longer keeps me awake at night. I no longer need to plaster myself in makeup trying to hide ugliness that only I could see just to get out of the front door. I am no longer ultra defensive or predatory. I now have a wonderful relationship with my mum and my sibling. That's all evidence of healing, and I'm so grateful for that recovery.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 02-01-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
A codependent has no concept of self outside of how others see them.

Their life may or may not revolve around an alcoholic, but usually it will revolve around constantly vying for the love and attention and affection of a person who is emotionally unavailable.

It may stem from early childhood programming - mother was a narcissist who couldn't love them, father walked out or was abusive, one or both was probably an alcoholic. Going in to adulthood, the person will seek out what they have been conditioned to expect as love - they will fixate on a person who ignores them or abuses them. That person tends to be an alcoholic, which is just perfect because we need someone who will put up with us and enable us.

So the codependent is the emotionally needy person who chases after the emotionally unavailable alcoholic and tries to fix them.
This is actually a good explanation I remember thinking last night.

Except I don't think the other person needs to be an alcoholic or addict specifically (they may just be controlling or manipulative for example)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I was a people pleaser extraordinaire, and it was unsustainable. Sometimes unsustainable looked like rebellion, and resulted in some fairly dramatic 'eff you' moments, where I rejected others in a horrible way, rather than risk rejection myself.
+1. Thats basically what I was getting at in my thread also, Berry.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Melody Beattie has written a couple of fantastic books on codependency:

Codependent No More
I got that book recently Anna. I haven't read it yet, but I am making a firm commitment to give up the people pleasing.

Here's a little video about it where he cites some good examples… https://youtu.be/f04gGbc9DjI

He mentions another book there also- 'The Gift of Fear' which someone told me they want to lend to me, as an aside.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your answers.... a further question... can the person who is dominant, ie not the co dependent, fluctuate??? So sometimes they do not create the co dependent and other times they do... whether consciously or not? Or is that likely to be in the head of the code pendent as part of the issue????
How does one know if relationships are normal or code pendent, and if they are, how do you extrapolate whose fault it is!!!
Just trying to work things out....

I am defo a people pleaser to the point of exhaustion, and am trying to gather information on myself to facilitate change and stop myself getting so upset! And to stop myself attacking the drink to make it better. ...

Thank guys. ...
Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
The CoDa handbook makes for really interesting reading.

Not every codependent has been abused. Many come from dysfunction backgrounds where love was shown in unhealthy ways, or just not shown at all. My parents stayed together 'for the sake of the children' and created a toxic atmosphere with all their passive aggressive hating on each other and subsequent depressive states that meant they were emotionally unavailable to those kids they're sacrificing their lives for... althought their intentions were good (i understand that now), and it was kind of what people 'did' back then, it all made for a very confusing time and I developed some odd behaviours to protect myself, get love and affection (mostly inappropriate and from a scarily early age), and a deep seated notion of not-enoughness (ie never feeling that I was, or had, enough. I was clever and pretty and had friends. But to my mind I was not clever enough, or pretty enough, or likeable enough - and I worked so hard over compensating for these perceived failings and faults to make myself loveable, likeable, even just acceptable to others that I kinda lost track of who I was. Besides, it's was emotionally draining, and that's where the alcohol and other obsessive behaviours offered some perceived 'relief'. I was a people pleaser extraordinaire, and it was unsustainable. Sometimes unsustainable looked like rebellion, and resulted in some fairly dramatic 'eff you' moments, where I rejected others in a horrible way, rather than risk rejection myself.

Codependency is a painful place to get stuck. For me, the CoDa book really helped, and I went to a few CoDa meetings as well. I also found the MB book really useful, along with some inner-city healing work, which was really valuable. I still kinda hated that lost little ghost of myself in years past, and needed to find some love and compassion for her so that I could move on.

I still get attacks of not-enoughness and have to work at remembering what I've learned so that I don't keep repeating my old mistakes. But things can get so much better with some exploration and learning. The old anxiety no longer keeps me awake at night. I no longer need to plaster myself in makeup trying to hide ugliness that only I could see just to get out of the front door. I am no longer ultra defensive or predatory. I now have a wonderful relationship with my mum and my sibling. That's all evidence of healing, and I'm so grateful for that recovery.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
I could have written this. My parents were just pretty much absent. There was no abuse. Just benign neglect. My little girl self wanted so much to be noticed and loved - that little girl seeking love and approval stayed inside me as I grew, and kept seeking. In very unhealthy ways. Relationships with emotionally unavailable people. Even one abuser. An alcoholic or two. Basically anyone who would show me any shred of love or attention. Even if it was just for a night. I rejected men who actually loved me and cared for me. Self-sabotage at its finest. All because I wasn't good enough in my own eyes. Not deserving of or comfortable with a loving, supportive partner. I'm working hard on this, because I need to do it for me. Not to please anyone else.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

the simplest explaination:

dependence on the needs of or control by another.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
the simplest explaination:

dependence on the needs of or control by another.
Simple and in a nut shell explanation tomsteve.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Until 3years ago,I was a co-dependant in a 10year relationship.Ours was a regular enough relationship for the 1st year,then after I was his live-in counsellor,physciatrist etc.He had many issues,all relating to his mother.He lived with her fulltime and still does.Anyone remember the Hitchcock film 'Pyscho'?Norman Bates?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I could have written this. My parents were just pretty much absent. There was no abuse. Just benign neglect. My little girl self wanted so much to be noticed and loved - that little girl seeking love and approval stayed inside me as I grew, and kept seeking. In very unhealthy ways. Relationships with emotionally unavailable people. Even one abuser. An alcoholic or two. Basically anyone who would show me any shred of love or attention. Even if it was just for a night. I rejected men who actually loved me and cared for me. Self-sabotage at its finest. All because I wasn't good enough in my own eyes. Not deserving of or comfortable with a loving, supportive partner. I'm working hard on this, because I need to do it for me. Not to please anyone else.
Hi,you will get there.And meet someone uncomplicated,no issues etc.You and me both!take care.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
Thank you so much for your answers.... a further question... can the person who is dominant, ie not the co dependent, fluctuate??? So sometimes they do not create the co dependent and other times they do... whether consciously or not? Or is that likely to be in the head of the code pendent as part of the issue????
How does one know if relationships are normal or code pendent, and if they are, how do you extrapolate whose fault it is!!!
Just trying to work things out....

I am defo a people pleaser to the point of exhaustion, and am trying to gather information on myself to facilitate change and stop myself getting so upset! And to stop myself attacking the drink to make it better. ...

Thank guys. ...
Those are good questions. You've already identified with some of the traits, why not look up some meetings in your area? Meetings - All

It's not so much a matter of extrapolating blame, the premise is that we cannot change another's behaviour only our reactions to them.

Much of the solution is about setting personal boundaries (afaik). It's a learning process. "To thyne own self be true"…

Patterns and Characteristics 2011 - CoDA.org… All the best.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you... I guess I'm just a bit spoilt and neurotic... but maybe I can improve myself and stop being so dependant on what my OH thinks , and what others perceive of me... to be myself would be good... but who the ÷€$£# am I really!!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
but who the ÷€$£# am I really!!!!
That's the million dollar question isn't it?!?!?!

https://youtu.be/tf5nCPFBSHw
Old 02-01-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Interesting thread. I'm the one with the drink problem but I also recognize many of the codependent traits in me. Just bought the book. Thanks for starting this thread enfin.