Notices

Went to AA

Old 01-30-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to AA

There were lots of people there. I sat at a table full of women. They were so nice. They made sure I had multiple phone numbers in case I need them. They also told me about an emotional support AA meeting that is tomorrow at 6:00 so I plan to go to it.

I am completely exhausted and about to head to bed. Day 1 is a wrap.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great news Sinderos. Sounds like you found a good group.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great going. Keep on going you're a miracle in the making.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
There were lots of people there. I sat at a table full of women. They were so nice. They made sure I had multiple phone numbers in case I need them. They also told me about an emotional support AA meeting that is tomorrow at 6:00 so I plan to go to it.

I am completely exhausted and about to head to bed. Day 1 is a wrap.
Awesome!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome sinderos

D
Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you found the group supportive. I wouldn't be without my meetings.

BB
Old 01-30-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great going - and a word of advice if I may. USE the phone numbers. They aren't shared just for 'emergencies' only. People well into their recovery will tell you it helps them as much as you if you call them up.

In the three weeks I have been going to meetings this time I have called people up on three occasions - one of them ended up with a meeting in town over a coffee. Well worth it I assure you.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering

What a positive move!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Great going - and a word of advice if I may. USE the phone numbers. They aren't shared just for 'emergencies' only. People well into their recovery will tell you it helps them as much as you if you call them up.

In the three weeks I have been going to meetings this time I have called people up on three occasions - one of them ended up with a meeting in town over a coffee. Well worth it I assure you.
I absolutely agree with this even though I'm not an AAer! I've seen first-hand the immense value of forming a 'recovery community' or network around oneself, whether that's in a formal group setting or otherwise. I have a small number of people in recovery that I message and talk to and it's been a big part of my success in these early days.

Wishing you the best, Sinderos!

ABW1
Old 01-31-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the best Sinderos!! Way to go
Old 01-31-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have met a lot of good people at AA meetings that sincerely want to help others.

Compared to most of the people I deal with in everyday life; AA people are some of the nicest and friendliest people I know.

It irritates me that my wife (who still drinks heavily everyday) thinks that AA members are all "weirdos and losers". But I have to remember that is her "alcoholic voice that is in denial" talking.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Glad you found a supportive group right away! I did, too, when I first started AA, and it has been a godsend. USE the numbers. I haven't as much as I should. I stayed sober, but it would have been better to have more one-on-one meetings and talks early on. I was afraid to "bother" people. Now, 2 years+ years in, I understand that talking to newbies helps the "experienced" sober person just as much.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sinderos thanks for posting your experience!
I had a terrible experience a few years back when I found an aa group on the Internet. For days before going I had convinced myself it was going to be full of people slumped in chairs with half empty bottles of whiskey dribbling the lyrics to "my way" by Frank Sinatra.
But with all my paranoias and fears I still went.

Sadly though I had not only got the wrong building I also had the wrong night, it was a mums and tots group and they did look a little bit unhinged when I asked if they knew where the aa meeting was!

My one and only time of trying to attend an AA meeting. Good to hear that you had a good experience, I may try and attend one again now.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Great job Sinderos ! Keep going. I'm an AA newbie too - I knew I had to do something different this time if I want it to stick and just in a few weeks I feel different. We can do this
Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post

Quoting - this is spot on.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InApickle View Post
Sinderos thanks for posting your experience!
I had a terrible experience a few years back when I found an aa group on the Internet. For days before going I had convinced myself it was going to be full of people slumped in chairs with half empty bottles of whiskey dribbling the lyrics to "my way" by Frank Sinatra.
But with all my paranoias and fears I still went.

Sadly though I had not only got the wrong building I also had the wrong night, it was a mums and tots group and they did look a little bit unhinged when I asked if they knew where the aa meeting was!

My one and only time of trying to attend an AA meeting. Good to hear that you had a good experience, I may try and attend one again now.
I've been to several in various cities. I was so reluctant to go for a number of reasons. However, this group of ladies I met are long timers who you can tell truly want to help the newbies. I feel very comfortable with the group. I getting out of my comfort zone and going to an 8 pm one tomorrow. There is a guest speaker. I went ahead and texted a lady so I would be held accountable.

You should give it another try. 🙂
Old 01-31-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sounds like you found yourself some face to face support.

Keep logging on here everyday when you get a chance.

Those two things got me sober.