Notices

Something clicked in my brain

Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something clicked in my brain

I drank all day yesterday. "Dozed off" and when I woke I began to think. The question I asked myself was "Why am I settling for this kind of lifestyle?" I'm in a long distance long term relationship with a man that will never go anywhere. Why? Because I'm a drunk and the only other people who would put up with a drunk is another drunk.

So I woke up this morning and decided it is time for me to make the choice to get well. I poured out the vodka. I'm going to the library at lunch to get a book that I saw on alcoholism. I'm going to the gym after work. Then tonight I will begin reading and keep myself busy. Most importantly I won't drink.

I'm going to put an end to the unhealthy relationship and learn to live life sober.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Sinderos. Have you thought of going to an AA meeting or SMART? Face to face support for me to cope with daily life is a must. It is a rare alcoholic (which I am) that can get sober and quit drinking without help. There is perhaps stuff re log-d that you might want to talk to someone about. Good for you for sharing, keep it up.
Prayers to you, PJ.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's the voice you want to listen to, if the other voice comes back then read what you have written here!
Half the battle is deciding you want to stop, the other half is stopping for good!
I have not touched alcohol for 12 hours now, i am hoping to make it the next 12 and have one day under my belt...
Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the very best with your new start! Read lots here too!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan.

Drinking abusively leads to nothing good.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Great choice Sinderos!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am giving serious consideration to going to AA. I will also be coming here often as well. I know I can't do this alone.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All the best Sinderos, you can do this. X
Old 01-30-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thought is good and action is better. I had to shift my "try" words and thoughts into "do" when I was finally ready to quit. AA is what I had left so off I went.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

Come and join us in the January group Sinderos! Admission is free and the company is second to none
Old 01-30-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Glad something clicked for you, Sinderos. I remember when I had my "click." It felt different from every other time I decided to try to quit drinking. I went into action almost immediately. Reached out to a sober friend right away. Went to an AA meeting 3 days later. Entered outpatient treatment 3 days after that. I also knew I couldn't do it alone - I had tried that. I just didn't work. Taking action did. Try AA - it can't hurt and it might just be the action you need this time.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck Sinderos, although now I feel bad for the long distance guy. Maybe your new life style will catch on!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Good luck Sinderos, although now I feel bad for the long distance guy. Maybe your new life style will catch on!
Don't feel bad. He almost died last memorial weekend due to drinking. 4 days in ICU and 3 in a regular room. Took almost a month for him to get his strength back. He was drinking within a couple of months. He is now on day 7 for the 100th time. He will be drinking again within 90 days.

I hope not, but he doesn't think he has a problem with alcohol so unless you acknowledge the problem, you will never get better.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
Don't feel bad. He almost died last memorial weekend due to drinking. 4 days in ICU and 3 in a regular room. Took almost a month for him to get his strength back. He was drinking within a couple of months. He is now on day 7 for the 100th time. He will be drinking again within 90 days.

I hope not, but he doesn't think he has a problem with alcohol so unless you acknowledge the problem, you will never get better.
Hmmm. I hope you apply the same logic to yourself that you apply to him. And I hope you go to AA, as opposed to continuing to consider. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hmmm. I hope you apply the same logic to yourself that you apply to him. And I hope you go to AA, as opposed to continuing to consider. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you!
I do apply the same logic. I watched someone I care about almost die. I stayed with him the entire time. I know it could easily happen to me too. I do acknowledge I have a problem.

I plan to go to a closed AA meeting tonight at 7:00. Perhaps an open one at 5:30. I'm debating on which one. The initial step is scary to me.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's great that something clicked for you! For me I HAVE to be mindful. I've had many "clicks" and then get back to the grind of life and well..... relapse.

Although AA is not for me, I'm glad you're going to a meeting. It helps keep things present which equates to less of a chance for relapse.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
I do apply the same logic. I watched someone I care about almost die. I stayed with him the entire time. I know it could easily happen to me too. I do acknowledge I have a problem.

I plan to go to a closed AA meeting tonight at 7:00. Perhaps an open one at 5:30. I'm debating on which one. The initial step is scary to me.
Why not go to both? ;-) It cannot be any scarier than seeing what you've seen alcohol can do, right? I am not a regular AA participant myself but I did go to meetings more often earlier in my sobriety and there's really nothing to be scared of at all. The people you will meet are all there for the exact same reason you are and they "get it"...just like the folks here on SR do. You will be welcomed with open arms.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Why not go to both? ;-) It cannot be any scarier than seeing what you've seen alcohol can do, right? I am not a regular AA participant myself but I did go to meetings more often earlier in my sobriety and there's really nothing to be scared of at all. The people you will meet are all there for the exact same reason you are and they "get it"...just like the folks here on SR do. You will be welcomed with open arms.
I have 2 dogs I need to walk and feed. They're crated during the day so I don't want to leave them alone all evening. I've decided on the 7:00 meeting. It will help to have something to break my evening routine. I typically sit at home all evening drinking.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can make this your turning point sinderos

D