Notices

Would this happen?

Old 01-29-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUK

Would this happen?

Hi

Just looking for some advice, specifically from people in the UK like me

If I go to see my GP and admit the extent of my drinking (bottle of wine a night) would they bring in social services because we have young children? I really want to avoid this - I have a child with ASD and the last thing they need is yet more things in their life to process.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No they wouldn't unless they had concerns - then they would have no choice. My gp asked about my daughter but didn't say anything else. However, the drug advisor I was referred to said my daughter had to go and stay with her dad or he would have no choice but to tell the social services. She is 15 and we have a very loving relationship.
However I was way past one bottle a night, I was 3-4 bottles and comatose half the time. If there had been a fire or if she hurt herself or worse found me dead.... So he was right to say that to me.
So I would urge you to tell your gp that you are concerned that your intake is escalating, before you get into a state like I did.
Are you able to care for them properly? Are you a single parent?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUK

Yes they are cared for - I'm not a single parent and my wife doesn't drink at all. That just means I often leave the childcare to her though, which creates another layer of resentment and problem
Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry . Sounds like there are no safe guarding issues at all so go and ask for help. I've found already that I'm doing chores and engaging with my daughter, instead of zoning out with wine, so hopefully stopping will help other things improve too.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was a family case worker (social worker) in social services earlier in my career and I can't think of a single case of children being 'removed' simply because a parent drank too much. They look at the overall care of the children and if they are at significant risk of harm then they would take steps, firstly to support the parents and help them overcome whatever the issues might be and only consider removing children as a last resort when all other options had been exhausted.

Similarly a GP would only refer a family to SSD if he or she had a sense that the drinking was putting children in danger. That does not seem to be the case here.

Contrary to some popular opinion, social services really are very reluctant to remove children from the care of their parents.