Notices

A plan?

Old 01-29-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A plan?

I have only been here a very short time, but have read quite a bit and learned a lot about myself, my disease, and gained a lot of tools I can use to stay sober.

The one thing I think I am missing is the idea of a sober plan. What does this mean exactly?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pretty much your plan of action you will take to stay sober. Be it attending AA meetings, seeing an addiction therapist, rehab, self help techniques, smart, avrt, reading,.. really there are numerous paths to the same destination, you just have to go with what feels like it would work best for you and go for it.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

For me it is this like how to avoid situations in early recovery where other people are drinking, how to deal with cravings, how am I going to relax, how am I going to spend the large quantity of time that is freed up, what to do if I think I am about to drink, and (I plan for this not to be necessary) what to do if I do relapse.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I kind of figured that's what was meant, but are there specific courses of action or is it just what works for the individual.

I ask this because I don't go to AA or anything like that and I quit on my own, so I didn't know if there were other things that should be done.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
For me it is this like how to avoid situations in early recovery where other people are drinking, how to deal with cravings, how am I going to relax, how am I going to spend the large quantity of time that is freed up, what to do if I think I am about to drink, and (I plan for this not to be necessary) what to do if I do relapse.
Well I have addressed all of those things, aside from relapse which I haven't considered.

I do find this place helpful as there a lot more people like me then I thought.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit on my own only using SR. In the beginning i planned every few hours out. Get home at 6, eat dinner, get a glass of tea, read SR till I was tired. Etc

Then came my first sober weddings and other events. Planned out everything. How I would respond if asked why I wasn't drinking to how if it got to bad I could make a early get away. Now with some sober time I think more of how to improve me and my thought processes and to identify why I drank. As I learn more about me, I adjust my plan accordingly. I think a plan is a very personal thing. Others can give you ideas but I had to fill in the small details.

One more thing. I didn't plan for relapses. They were not an option. Period, only way it worked for me
Old 01-29-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
I quit on my own only using SR. In the beginning i planned every few hours out. Get home at 6, eat dinner, get a glass of tea, read SR till I was tired. Etc

Then came my first sober weddings and other events. Planned out everything. How I would respond if asked why I wasn't drinking to how if it got to bad I could make a early get away. Now with some sober time I think more of how to improve me and my thought processes and to identify why I drank. As I learn more about me, I adjust my plan accordingly. I think a plan is a very personal thing. Others can give you ideas but I had to fill in the small details.

One more thing. I didn't plan for relapses. They were not an option. Period, only way it worked for me
Thanks that is very helpful, and that is exactly what I meant by relapse.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
I kind of figured that's what was meant, but are there specific courses of action or is it just what works for the individual.

I ask this because I don't go to AA or anything like that and I quit on my own, so I didn't know if there were other things that should be done.
There are plenty of people that have gotten, and stayed sober without outside help beyond this site. I agree with setting a gameplan of your day and what you are going to do besides drinking is a good start.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ijc,
I'm always around most days at this time as are many others. Just reach out my friend if things get tough. I found I could really get through craving by reading and posting.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is a great read if you haven't seen it yet. A sobriety "plan" is basically what it sounds like...a method/technique/lifestyle/community designed to help you get and stay sober. If you are going on a trip, you make a trip plan/itinerary, right?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-29-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Ijc,
I'm always around most days at this time as are many others. Just reach out my friend if things get tough. I found I could really get through craving by reading and posting.
Thanks Matt. I appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
This is a great read if you haven't seen it yet. A sobriety "plan" is basically what it sounds like...a method/technique/lifestyle/community designed to help you get and stay sober. If you are going on a trip, you make a trip plan/itinerary, right?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Makes sense. My first goal was to quit and stay sober. That was my plan. Now I'm coming up on 4 months and would like to work on more to get better.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow four months is great. Very well done.