Notices

Here I go again

Old 01-28-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Here I go again

I had 18 months clean time until January 2014 when I picked up a drink. Since then I've been drinking and using on and off but for the last 18 months I've been using an opiate painkiller called codeine. I wrongly assumed that because it's not a harder painkiller like morphine I'd be able to muck up about with it and then come off it without any issues. Unfortunately I took a shine to it and gradually built my dose up as my tolerance increased.

I've been ordering it online from private doctors and chemists and on Friday I went and saw a doctor at my local surgery. I booked an appointment with a specific doctor as the website said he had an interest in addiction and mental health. I was honest with him. I told him about my history with drugs and alcohol and told him exactly what I'd been doing, what I'd been taking and divulged the quantities and timescales.

He gave me two options. I could either taper off codeine by seeing him every week and gradually reducing the dose or be referred to a local drug service to be prescribed Subutex. I opted for the tapering method as I don't think my addiction is bad enough to warrant a script for Subutex. The doctor agreed and he gave me a prescription for a week's worth of pills and another prescription dated for next week as I'm out of the area.

I've tried to kick this cold turkey five or six times and I always crack at the third day. I'm prepared for everything psychologically and am referring myself for therapy on Monday and going to a meeting tomorrow. I start my reduced dose tomorrow and am feeling fairly anxious about it. I'm hoping the amount I'm taking keeps the withdrawal symptoms at bay.

Natom
Old 01-28-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you, Natom - but sorry for the situation you're in. I'm glad you posted for some encouragement. Going to therapy & a meeting is very wise - you sound determined.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would echo Hevyn's comments about it being a good idea to arrange therapy and a meeting, they should bolster your resolve and maybe help lessen the anxiety

It might be worth checking the Drug Addiction Forum to see if there is any specific advice or comments about codiene (that is if you have not already done so)
Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I forgot - good luck
Old 01-28-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Tom

I'm glad you're dealing with this now...from all I read, you might feel a little cruddy and fluey for a while, but you'll be OK.

Have you stopped drinking as well?

D
Old 01-28-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Tom

I'm glad you're dealing with this now...from all I read, you might feel a little cruddy and fluey for a while, but you'll be OK.

Have you stopped drinking as well?

D
Thanks everyone.

When I've tried kicking it cold turkey I've had terrible withdrawal symptoms. I didn't think they'd be this severe but they completely floor me and I can't really function. Once the third day hits I use to get rid of the pain. I'm not going to mind some withdrawal symptoms so I'm going to make sure I stock up on vitamins, muscle rub, immodium and some other bits and bobs. They worked quite well when I was doing my cold turkey so I'm hoping they will help when I'm finishing the taper.

I've not had a drink since November. I can take or leave drink but stopping the pills is another matter. I said to the doctor that although I'm psychologically prepared to stop the physical withdrawal is making it a lot harder.

Natom
Old 01-28-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are back!
Old 01-29-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It's my first day on a tapering dose. The average amount I used to take was 10 pills a day but recently I've been taking more than that. We started the taper off on 8 pills a day and I've experienced some minor withdrawal symptoms today. I'm not high but I'm not sick. I took 3 this morning, one in the early afternoon and then 2 at 6pm and 2 at 8pm.

I can't sleep. I feel like the withdrawal symptoms are waiting to come in because I don't feel right. I'm surprised how much if affected me. I didn't think going down to 8 pills would have any effect at all. I'm set to reduce 2 pills a week. 8 pills for four days then 7 for three days, before going down to 6 and 5 in the next week and continuing until I'm off them.

I'm hoping I don't get terrible withdrawal symptoms when I go down to 0 otherwise I wouldn't feel like the taper would have been worth it.

Natom
Old 01-29-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Our inner addict is really adept at 'future tripping' and creating fear and worry Tom.

Your taper sounds pretty gentle and sensible...on your schedule it's going to be several weeks til you get down to zero - try not to worry about that, and don't borrow trouble
Old 01-29-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
All is Change

do you have any things to help you cope with whatever comes? talking, walking, eating, relaxing, writing, reading etc ? There are probably things you can do (and not do) to make it easier. I wish you all the success, peace and happiness.