Notices

Time to take action

Old 01-28-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to take action

I'm ready to take action. I haven't truly even attempted to stop drinking for a couple of years now. In that time I have cleaned up so many areas of my life. I have life coaches that I work with weekly. I've read and studied countless books about personal development. I have cleaned up my finances, my company is thriving, anxiety is gone. I still have been using alcohol as a coping mechanism at night however. I will kill more than a bottle of wine after dinner as a means to unwind. It has been a problem that I have known about, as do my coaches that work with me. This is the big one, and I am ready to take it on. I want to use SR, and all the great people here, for support during the witching hour, which for me starts at roughly 5 pm. Rather than pour that first glass, I want to sit down and begin reading and posting each night here while listening to my positive affirmations music with my headphones. I look forward to all of your help and reading about your journeys as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

I hear you. Welcome. I am very successful in all areas of my life but one-alcohol. I cannot tell you how great I feel, how proud I am, and how grateful I am to be sober! Good luck.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We sound a lot alike. I only used SR to get sober. I think I would have been better off adding other methods as well but so far it is working. I would come home every evening , eat dinner and read SR till tired. In the beginning I read the "stories of recovery forum"usually two or three stories a night. . It really touched me in many ways and I realized there were so many people in far more trouble and they succeeded.

It also gave me great in sight and respect for many of the people who are here everyday helping us. I felt I knew them and felt accountable to them. SR change my life. I know it will help you too!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

It's good to read your decision and intention. Now how to get to action?

You sound like an organized person. Make yourself a regular here -- Newcomers, Newcomer Daily Support thread -- join January *today.* Interactive games

Post post post! There's really no chance of harm and you'll build yourself a safe place to practice being alcohol-free.

Have you gotten rid of the bottles already in your house?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 01-28-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great decision IHEN, good luck to you
Old 01-28-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some really good ideas here on making a plan
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
D
Old 01-28-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivehadenoughnow View Post
This is the big one, and I am ready to take it on.
In the five years before I got sober, I did a lot of work on myself. I got a great job, cleared out significant debt, started saving again, gained a promotion, started getting fit ... and I also read a lot of self-improvement books and did a lot of personal development work.

Yep. I looked like a real winner from the outside.

But I wasn't. And I was right on the tip of flushing it all down the pan.

What's more, I knew deep down I was a complete fake because I wasn't ready or willing to fix a root problem - my drinking.

I spent today - my Sunday morning - working on my goals for the coming year. It's all so much better than I thought it would be, just one year into sobriety, and I feel so hopeful and confident - a feeling I didn't have when I was still drinking.

You are so right. This really is the big one. You're capable of taking action, clearly. Apply that same energy and ability to sobriety and the sky will be your limit.

Making a sobriety plan is absolutely necessary. It's the most important plan you'll ever make!

Your post has been truly encouraging to read and I wish you all the best.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok so I am following my plan tonight of no drinking. Whatever happens I can handle it. I am in control.