Notices

Boundaries

Old 01-28-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boundaries

I am coming off a two week binge, where I get confused, all of my fears come back, and I get triggered.

Please help.

I moved into a not so great neighborhood.

I have trouble dealing with overly friendly people who can't take "No" for an answer.

They are not healed, they are not in recovery and don't get that I'm not interested in their drama.

Any advice would be appreciated. I feel like if there is a devil, he's throwing his whole army at me
Old 01-28-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Say no. If you give others stuff- they will use you. They will manipulate. lie and steal. This happened to me repeatedly last year. Find a safe place- try, ask - enquire to find somewhere.. Keep your door locked at all times- do not allow others to see your stuff or share personal info. Get f-f support, go to AA. See a doctor. Get medical help to detox. Do not drink. See a therapist. Go to a hospital. Do not take risks. Do not drink. Make sure you eat and drink water and shower. Do not give in to others drinking to fit in. Share/post/pray.
Prayers.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I totaly agree with PhoenixJ's advice.It is quite possible to keep our distance from overly friendly neighbours.And don't worry about their opinion of you being someone who keeps to themselves.Take care and post.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, Phoenix J pretty much nailed it!

Everything I did at the beginning had one sole purpose: to be sober. I was VERY sick and had to just begin to get well. It might seem extreme to stay at home by yourself, for example, but to any lengths is what I did to get sober. Now, I am comfortable in the world; I still pick and choose what I do and with whom I spend my time.

Ruthless - that's what you have to be to fight this disease and win each day.

Hope to see you around- have you looked into the Class of January 2017 group? People who quit/want to quit this month collect in a monthly thread. I have gotten to know my Feb 2016 group well and they are a great source of support!!!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Know without a shadow of a doubt that alcohol will do nothing for you and everything to you. Take steps forward and concentrate on living and doing the next right thing. Eat a well balanced diet and get pleeenty of exercise. Other things will get clearer along the path and you can more readily deal with them after healing a bit. Start with healing. The number one requirement would be not adding alcohol.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sassy,

2 week binge...i imagine all day drinking. I remember a few dyas like that, but never 2 weeks straight.

You are a very strong person to pull that off.

However, now you are heavily toxified.

Be ready for serious discomfort...body and mind.

You sound like you are on your own.

Sober routine is what I offer.

From dawn to dusk. A flow of events that do not involve booze.

Hydration, rest, quality food. Repeat for about a month.

The mental damage will take a long long time to heal. That is why many relapse over and over.

When you start to feel like everything is ok...you can drink again..that is when the mental battle begins.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I'm so triggered. I began drinking to begin with because I didn't how to define myself, set limits and not people please. Always afraid of abandonment.

Others and their expectations are triggers. Then I drink to ease pressure. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was drinking about a six pack until I passed out. I just couldn't deal.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing is you can deal - but you'll never know that if you cut and run and buy that 6 pack.

No was very hard for me at first too - I felt physically ill..but it got better and easier the more times I said it

You can deal with this - but you're not alone either

D
Old 01-28-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I drink, my boundaries have the consistency of applesauce.

When I am sober, they are made of metal (ok, sometimes a homey wood).

It is very unsettling to live in a rough neighborhood. Personally, I have an excellent dog who is secretly gentle, but appears to be ferocious around creepy people. It has helped considerably.

He builds boundaries for me, & I build them for him in return...
Old 01-29-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

So sick, the false sense of empowerment alcohol gives me.

Thats all I use it for.

I'm trying to find other ways to feel safe.

I'm really trying
Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Consider going to AA or NA (or Alanon if that fits).

Having a community of people who want us to be well & safe makes a giant difference. If you have weak boundaries, I advise sticking with women in the program (I have the impression you're a woman, but my iPhone is acting up, & I can't check your "about me" simultaneous to posting - if you're a fella, forgive the guess!).

Many folks coming into AA or NA haven't yet developed clear boundaries, so early relationships can be messy & actually destabilize you. I really enjoy women's meetings (many places have at least one all women's meeting weekly). I feel very safe in those, and have made a couple of really special friends.

Often, since many of us are "getting back on our feet" we live in somewhat crappy neighborhoods in our early sobriety. I have had women friends from AA who insist that I text them once I'm home safely, door locked, and they do the same. Just knowing that there is a human out there who is paying attention to whether you get home safely makes you feel about 1000x safer!

Life is scary. That's why as human animals our tendency is not to move through life utterly alone. If we need a "pack" to feel safe, then let's do the job of choosing the people in that "pack" intentionally, because they help us to feel (& be) safer!