Notices

Mocktails?

Old 01-28-2017, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mocktails?

I was going to start treating myself after work to one of my favorite non-alcoholic "mixers" (which I've drank since I was kid) of diet white soda and orange juice in a regular glass instead of a glass (or 2 bottles) of wine every day. I never drank mixers/ cocktails (or hard alcohol in general) Would that be considered a mocktail or just a tasty combo? I've read a lot of articles & other people's posts regarding the slippery slope of the mocktails - I could see drinking sparkling grape juice out of a wine glass would be a terrible idea for me (or anything out of a wine glass for that matter!), but could a NA "mixer" be a concern for relapse? I don't feel like it'd be a trigger, but you never know.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My wife had this idea when she was dieting or didn't or couldn't drink for whatever reason.

She enjoys the ritual of having a cocktail so she figured that having a mocktail would satisfy any cravings.

It never worked.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Was unaware what mocktails were so thanks for the info (thanks google as well). I don't think OJ and some soda are a problem. How's it any different from any of the flavored sparkling waters these days? I love peach sparkling water with some ice and a few nibbles myself.

I'd be more worried if it was in a cocktail glass with all the trimmings - frosted glass, umbrella, pickle etc... but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't do N/A beer or any of those things. I'm an all or nothing kinda gal. But soft drinks in normal glasses. Let's goooo.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a lovely refreshing drink. I have an issue personally with drinking non-alcoholic wine, and I wouldn't drink something specifically to substitute for the sensation of drinking alcohol, but this just sounds like an ordinary beverage.

That said, I do often drink lemon lime and bitters or a mocktail when I go out with friends, but I didn't start doing that until I felt really comfortable in my sobriety.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only real problem I would have is it means being in bars around people that are drinking and that is too dangerous for me at least right now. I suppose it is how disciplined you are, me I couldn't trust myself.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think there's any harm in it. I had to have something delicious and sugary to drink when I first gave up alcohol. If it helps you feel a little less deprived, go for it. You know you don't want to drink.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know people in my home group who did it successfully. Since I was a vodka/soda or plain vodka rocks drinker by the end....I couldn't stomach soda water for a long time. My crystal is still in the house so I do have wine glasses- I actually found one with red dregs when I was looking for something else in the same cabinet; I didn't wash it out but left it to find when I move as a reminder of what I will never do again....

I'm not a fan of mocktails. I drink TONS of everything- coffee, water, diet sprite right now- and just recently when out to dinner have ordered club soda with lime a few times. I actually just realized I really don't drink out of glasses at home- only to go cups when at work (restaurant) or out at a restaurant. Hmm.

Anyway, I think this is a why-poke-the-bear issue.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've never considered mocktails to be a trigger or a slippery slope and enjoy them quite often. I avoid the whole alcohol-free beer and wine, but I guess I don't see any benefit in denying myself a delicious mix of fruits and herbs and other mixes.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
under new management

one persons 'mocktail' is another persons 'tasty beverage'.

I went out for dinner last night with family to celebrate my husband's birthday. I had a house made Italian soda with raspberry. Delicious!

I did not consider it a pretend alcoholic drink. It was just a tasty glass of soda.

perception.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

They sound nice to me. I'd never touch pretend beer or wine, but I'd have no problem with those mocktails.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

When I go out I drink club soda with a twist. It's not a bunch of fruit and sugar, and it looks like a cocktail so people don't ask. Works for me. On new year's eve I toasted with sparkling cider in a champagne glass. Dang, it seemed sweet!
Old 01-28-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Um, we get to drink any lovely, creative, yummy, pretty non-alcoholic beverages we want!

I make delicious juice concoctions at home & have also used the "mocktail" approach when I find myself at fancy work events, fancy dinners out, etc. I ask the bartender to make me the most yummy & pretty non-alcoholic drink they can come up with, & they have always made great creative efforts! Sometimes my fancy mocktail looks so much better than everyone else's alcoholic drink that they ask to taste it & appear envious...lol.

Sometimes there are even little umbrellas.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you don't associate it with a drink you drink which has alcohol in it, I don't see why it would be an issue. For example if someone's drink were screwdrivers, I wouldnt think them drinking plain orange juice for awhile would be a good idea, but if someone never drank orange juice mixed with alcohol, I don't see why drinking orange juice would be a problem. Just my opinion
Old 01-28-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
All is Change

A few weeks back in the lead up to christmas ( a difficult time for me ) I started to mix apple juice and sparkling mineral water. I've always liked that but it reminded me of drinking carbonated booze. Beer, Cider, mixers. For me that's what I call a primer. Like putting water in a pump to prime it in leading up to pumping. That's a big no-no for me.

Any primer I recognise for me gets the boot until I've thoroughly felt and thought about it. My sobriety is far too precious for me to risk it in any way. That's me. I'm not saying it is you or anyone else.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't a cocktail guy, but for me NA beer kept alive a lot of old behaviours - the anticipation, the taste, the feel of the glass, the can, or bottle in my hand...

Even without alcohol being involved it was a slippery situation. Sooner of later I'd miss the buzz...

If mocktails end up being like that for you, even a little bit, then I think it's best to avoid then.

Like heartcore said, there's a million yummy drinks out there that won't remind me of my drink of choice.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes to what Dee said. To clarify, I am a beer drinker when I drink alcohol. So I've tried NA beers at different moments in sobriety, & while not "triggered" they are always disappointing & taste nasty to me & make me grumpy that I'm the one drinking the tasteless, nasty beer.

I've never been an alcohol drinker of frothy fruity things, so those just feel like a special treat.

We have to remain the attentive caretakers of our sobriety, learning from each experience as we move through...
Old 01-28-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

for what its worth non alcoholic wine is pretty awful tastewise haha

Stick to club soda
Old 01-28-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ps. In New Orleans, the trend is that lots of the elegant bars have "mocktail" menus now.

I like to think this means that rejecting alcohol is becoming part of the "fine dining" movement. I'm always pleased when the world offers up a tendency that fits perfectly with my needs!
Old 01-28-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I couldn't do it. No way. I'd be waiting for the buzz to kick in or something. It'd be a mind f*(k. Almost like what happens to the body when you eat artificial sweetener and your brain is waiting for the sugar hit. That's what my brain would be doing. And this is coming from me, a high-bottom alcoholic.

I'd rather be honest with myself instead of screwing with my head, and have a refreshing sparkling water with lemon over ice in a normal glass.

I know how easily my mind would trick me into going from having a mocktail.... to that mocktail turning into a cocktail.

But that's just me.

If you enjoy mocktails, your motives are in the right place, you're not trying to fool yourself, and you have a different strain of alcoholism than I do, then all the power to ya.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I dont see the issue with drinking anything non alcoholic. What really is a mocktail anyway? Coukdnt it be anything without booze?
. Its just a non alcoholic drink. Coca cola doesnt trigger me for rum. Its just coke... I personally wont give up enjoying tasty safe beverages. But if that does trigger a person then they should avoid whatever drink that is.