Notices

Deleted Facebook App

Old 01-28-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Deleted Facebook App

I deleted my Facebook App on my phone. Probably the biggest thing I did while drinking was scroll through Facebook & watch random videos or (after a bottle & a half of wine) make some stupid posts. I figured out very quickly in day 1 of recovery that opening up Facebook made me 1) instantly anxious & 2) made me feel sick to my stomach. I didn't actually delete my account (I'm not ready for that kind of breakup yet), but I also feel like I need to disconnect myself from the toxic social media for a while. Plus, being tagged in "cute/ funny" memes about wine when you're trying to NOT think about alcohol is mildly counterproductive.

Anyone else find social media to be a trigger?
Old 01-28-2017, 12:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Certainly annoying and depressing. I have read of FB as being an 'echo chamber'. The design of it is such that what you tend to get is a concentration of people, opinions and articles that reflect more or less your own views, or some version of it anyway. I am currently finding for example, that most of my FB content is about poking fun and worse at Trump. which is now getting depressing. I have considered if not deleting it at least staying away.

I can't say it would ever be a trigger directly, but it could get me depressed and that could potentially be a trigger.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hell yes. I deactivated the day I stopped drinking and while it was a bit difficult at first (I would go on autopilot to the app for the first couple of weeks and have to consciously stop myself), now I hardly think about FB and I certainly don't miss it.
I am seriously considering deleting my account all together but I want to get my pics off there first and I just don't want to go near it for now, 79 days and counting
Old 01-28-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I gave up Facebook & traded addictions for SoberRecovery.

One of my more healing decisions.

I feel strong here. Like I'm doing just fine. Like I'm me.

Most importantly, every single person on here knows me in my truth & through my words, rather than through photos of my shiny-self. Don't have to be shiny here. What a sweet & lovely thing!
Old 01-28-2017, 01:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, you're taking ACTION. Getting sober and staying sober is about getting out of your comfort and creating a better way of living. I had to change many habits and hobbies that revolved around drinking. Eventually these new activities became my habits and hobbies with no expectation of drinking with them.

Keep coming back and posting often.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Good move, I fell out with facebook too. Can't remember the last time I even looked at it. Don't miss it at all.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have not missed Facebook since I dropped out a couple years back.

I truly do not care about what others are doing or eating.

Showing them pictures of my goats from different angles I think was getting old.

Mountainman
Old 01-28-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I took a long break, actually while still drinking. I was miserable in my life and it all felt so fake. Plus, did I really have about 1000 friends? No.

I went back on it and have a different approach- I look at the positive, ignore the negative and I share pics and things that make me proud and are genuine about my life NOW. I find that I have attracted the friends I want (and I only have maybe 300 on my friend list, and my rule has been that I need some other point of contact with them ie cell, in person, whatever, or they are long distance and I care about their lives and goings on).

The political crap is really stale - I am hopeful it will change like it did during Obama, and for people who really bug me I unfollow.

Getting rid of any social media that is irritating, counterproductive, inspires "bad" feelings....excellent idea. I was very involved in the social side of Yelp Atlanta for years, and I took a break for pretty much all of last year- most of the events centered around food and drink, and in my first year sober it just wasn't a priority or anything about how I spent my time. I am slowly reengaging with some friends from there, just like in other areas of my life.

Like others, SR is one of the first things I look at in the morning as part of my recovery/devotional routine.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If it triggers you, then, don't risk your sobriety.

I like FB and belong the specific groups, where I learn a lot
Old 01-28-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Facebook turned me off when people posted a picture of what they were having at a restaurant...who cares!
Old 01-28-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Facebook turned me off when people posted a picture of what they were having at a restaurant...who cares!
Agree totally!!! Who really does care?
Old 01-28-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel you.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a good move to me as well. I deactivated my account about 5 years ago too. While FB can be useful, most of it is simply about vanity and ego. I'd go so far as to say that it's actually destructive to society as a whole and contributes to the shallowness and isolation of so many people these days. Good for you for pulling the plug, you won't miss it a bit.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I deleted mine. Best thing I ever did!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I still look at Facebook but I don't post.

I make money on the side managing social media so I am forced to look at it since I need the extra income.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Drunk facebook posting was one of my pastimes, lost many friends because of the stupid crap I would post. I only check in here and there now, but I agree it's mostly just sh*tposting and other garbage I have no interest in looking at.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've never had a FB account. Never wanted one. I suppose there is value in being able to keep up with what distant family/friends are up to, but outside of that, it seems like it has become little more than a means for many adults to regress back to the social dynamics of high school. And I do believe that some people turn to FB in lieu of leading active, fulfilling lives of their own. I think FB would be best used as an occasional distraction for people in their spare time. Some people seem to live on the damn thing, and that is very sad.

Now pardon me while I go shake my fist at a kid and tell him to get off my lawn...
Old 01-28-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If I deleted my Facebook app I wouldn't get my daily dose of cute animal videos!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I also deleted it on my mobile.
I still have Facebook but use it on my laptop now.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Got off Facebook several years ago. Dont miss it at all! Other social media like Twitter I enjoy though.