Notices

Back again

Old 01-27-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUK

Back again

Hi

It's a long time since I posted on here. I'm back again feeling desperate because I've finally realised there are only two ways this thing goes - complete sobriety or the alternative. I'm starting to get a few worrying physical symptoms and I understand what the alternative is. I have two young boys who love me and need me yet I'm so selfish I put drink before them. I'm terrified
Old 01-27-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back from a recent returnee! You know how it works! Take care!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back JUK Do you have a plan?

D
Old 01-27-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUK

I'm trying to make a plan - I need to look at some of the threads on here about how to do this

I started to see a counsellor about other issues but have not been honest with her about the full extent of my problems with alcohol. I plan to tell her at my next session

I've never been to AA but will try to go this evening. I'd like to explore some alternatives to AA and I know there's lots of info about that on here - I need to spend some time reading

That's as far as I got.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like you realised the same thing a few years ago and tried to stop numerous times.
The mistake I made was as Dee says - a plan. I was too scared to tell my GP, I didn't want it on my records. I was too,ashamed to tell family and friends. Anyway six years later my health finally began to suffer and my daughter was having to make herself pot noodles for her tea. I wasn't doing my job properly.
So I came clean to my daughters dad, my brother and my GP. They were so concerned and caring. The Dr referred me to the relevant support services and my brother made sure I attended all of them and also accompanied me.
My advice to you would be come clean, don't try on your own. I didn't take that advice when I first posted on here and believe me it gets worse.
Good on you for acknowledging your problem it's the best first step im sure you can do this.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello. Addiction sucks. I cannot offer advice. You say you want to stop drinking and you have 2 sons. You have to stop drinking -for you. If you do not- you may suffer my plight, which I would not wish on any. I give you my prayers and support.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey JUK

Welcome back.

I am learning that complete honesty is a major part of the foundation of my recovery. That doesn't mean I announce to the world my alcoholism. It means that, in recovery (with my spouse, partner, counselor, sponsor etc) I am totally honest with myself and those that are to support me. I am not naturally honest....that's not something I'm proud of . And I'm an expert in denial and justification. That stuff just keeps me feeling shame/guilt, which eventually leads me back to drinking.

You can do this.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by JUK View Post
I'm trying to make a plan - I need to look at some of the threads on here about how to do this

I started to see a counsellor about other issues but have not been honest with her about the full extent of my problems with alcohol. I plan to tell her at my next session

I've never been to AA but will try to go this evening. I'd like to explore some alternatives to AA and I know there's lots of info about that on here - I need to spend some time reading

That's as far as I got.
links to AA and other methods in the UK
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3842631

Making a recovery plan
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 01-27-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back JUK!!
Old 01-28-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JUK

Thanks everyone for your replies and thanks Dee for the links. Went to my first AA meeting yesterday - I was completely surprised and quite overwhelmed. There are quite a few in my area so I'm trying to put together a schedule

I know I need to see my doctor. I've been putting it off but I discovered that the odd pains I've been having in my left arm - which I just discounted - could be a sign of something serious. I'm **** scared. Did anyone else have those?

At the same time I'm scared, like Daisy said, of it going on my record and who could get access to it. It could effect whether my family gets life insurance money and things like that.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are in the exact same trouble as me... Fight them demons, do not leave them for your kids to fight!
The battle is with your past, not their future
Old 01-28-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering

Welcome back. Yup - there's no 'middle way' for lots of us. But total sobriety is cool, fun and sexy
Old 01-28-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Best wishes from here. I'm back again today too. Cannot give you advise because I am lost myself, but I hope with my full heart that you succeed.

Take care.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get the pain checked out - it could be anxiety or it could be something else,. Best to know

D
Old 01-28-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JUK

Terrified but know I need to get it checked out - most likely candidate is angina. I'm 49 - I thought you got angina when you were 80 - guess that's the toll it can take
Old 01-28-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, drinking in 'moderation' is something I cannot do either.
Better to totally abstain than chance it.

Glad you're on the path
Old 01-28-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Went to my first AA meeting yesterday - I was completely surprised and quite overwhelmed.

Keep going back.

AA plus this website is what got me sober.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Dee's links are good ones, read through and see what works for you. The 24 hour thread and monthly classes are both great support systems as well, you will meet lots of great people.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
JUK

Just had a really frank conversation with my wife and am beginning to see the enormity of damage I have done to my family. She was asking if there was any way she could get support - she tells me she has felt so alone these last few years and has been unable to speak to anyone about it. Are there online groups for her to get support?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JUK View Post
Terrified but know I need to get it checked out - most likely candidate is angina. I'm 49 - I thought you got angina when you were 80 - guess that's the toll it can take
Alcohol takes a huge toll on everything in and about us!! I quit when I was 39 - and I am closing in on a year sober- and it was very scary to finally get all the tests, etc done. I had to face it though, since I was DONE drinking and needed to face whatever I had done and start to get well.

One word that I switched out was "try" - I had to "do." I started AA and made about 82 meetings in 90 days; I went, I didn't try to fit it into my schedule. I didn't drink; I slept, ate, hydrated, repeat. Etc etc in every area of my life where I could take action, not just hope or think about doing.

You can do it. Hope to see you around- it is absolutely better on this side.