Notices

A Reminder to Myself: Post While Positive.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post A Reminder to Myself: Post While Positive.

Today is Australia Day down under and coincidentally, the same day I gave up drinking 2 years ago.

At that stage I was feeling like a lot of people who post on this board - sick and defeated.

Up to that point I had used any money I made to get drunk or high and just existed to consume substances which shifted me out of reality.

I felt like a horrible human being - an animal.

The decision was made after a days-long binge on spiced rum and sleep, that I needed to change.

At first I was excited to get a week with no drinking and then a month - I would count every day as a success. Taking my medication and checking SR for posts and posting myself.

Time went by and I was just concentrating on getting better. That was enough to deal with for a while. After a few months of abstaining, I realised that I needed to do something else - hobbies. Idle time can be a killer and was, many a time, for my sobriety in previous attempts to quit drinking.

In May of 2015 I started a business. Just buying stuff cheap and selling it on Ebay or Amazon. Nice and simple - like a game. But I enjoyed it and now that I wasn't buying booze every day, I had some spare money to use.

My personality is addictive and I made use of that to get stuck into the world of "flipping". Pretty common in the USA but not so much here in Australia.

It was my new addiction. One which didn't leave me with a mouth tasting like an ash-tray and rushing to the toilet to vomit, only to find that I had only bile to dredge up from my pulverised innards. In fact - waking up and hearing the "CHA-CHING!" of the Ebay app telling me that I'd made some money was (and is) a good start to the day.

As I said before - I'd wasted money on utter garbage for the last 20 years. The goal with this flipping thing was to make up for lost time - Money wise. As a nearly 40 year old adult, I am not proud to say that I live with my parents.

So for the past year and a half I have managed to save enough money to save a deposit for a house. In fact - I put in an offer on a place a few days ago and am waiting to hear back to see if I got it.

The job I have is okay, but after just existing for the past 20 years, I don't want to work for "the man". I want to make my own rules and my own money.

If I hadn't woken up 2 years ago feeling like utter hell-spawn, I would not have accomplished what I have in the last 2 years. So in a way - a very wry way - I am happy that I messed myself up so bad that I had that epiphany.

And now that I am feeling okay, I wanted to make this post to remind myself of why I did what I did, and as a note to myself in case I ever get so low that I want to drink.

This post doesn't contain all the horrible things which happened because of my drinking. Just the transformation from horror to honour.

If you're new to the board and your insides feel as if they've been through a wheat thresher, your mouth is dry, your liver inflamed and you feel like a failure - Just know that being here is the first step to a better life.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Two years is fantastic!!
Old 01-25-2017, 11:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Congrats on two years, DD. I quit near the same time and remember you from early days. Cheers and good luck with the house.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's awesome, DD! Congrats!
Old 01-25-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 01-25-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

That was a beautiful post, DrunkenDonuts. Inspiring and easy to empathize with. Horror to honour, I love that. Just awesome.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done on two years
Old 01-26-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 2 years DD - and best wishes on the house and your future

D
Old 01-26-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two years, a fantastic achievement and such an inspiring post, DrunkenDonuts.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments. Really appreciate them.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed this post. Congratulations on 2 years! Hope the house works out for you.
Mick
Old 01-26-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a great post to wake up to congratulations on all your success DrunkenDonuts(I've always thought your username was cute btw) thanks for this
Old 01-26-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wonderful, inspiring post. Congratulations and thank you!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When we refocus our considerable energies on positive projects and untouched dreams, anything can happen!

Here's to future happinesses that we can't even fully imagine!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
under new management

Excellent post, dd!!!

Congrats on 2 years

Old 01-26-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Awesome post DrunkenDonuts, I joined SR about the same time as you and I remember how down you were at the time.

It is fantastic that you are moving into your own home and that you are running a profitable business. Tangible evidence of success is a great advert for sobriety.

Glad you are still posting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170126_134347.jpg (32.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I love posts like this - sharing a story of success and achievement for new people to see! Good going, and congratulations on two years and your new house!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations, 2 years is wonderful. I share your addictive personality and think what you have done is a fabulous way to not only make a quid but also put to good use what you are good at.
I have to say you have got me thinking as I am feeling so burnt out in my current career
Old 01-26-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your name made me laugh out loud! Way to go on turning every part of your life around. Inspiring!! Hope you get the house!
Old 01-26-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

congratulations!! thanks for your awesome post!