Notices

Replacing One Addiction With Another...

Old 01-25-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Replacing One Addiction With Another...

First, and foremost, I am eternally grateful for this forum. I have not felt judged, and have received messages of the upmost support (I have no friends what so ever, and I am extremely isolated - ('social anxiety' at it's worst).

I have now been sober for almost three weeks! (I never even imagined it possible, and I feel amazing!) I have had many 'cravings' but have come here and read posts instead.

I have now started Body Building! At my lowest I would look forward to 6pm, so I could drink, now I can say to myself 'I can't drink tonight because I have to be up at 6am for training'.

I am, however, still struggling with my eating disorder, something that I had a long time before my drinking -although I believe I replaced my ED with alcoholism (I am unable to get help with, despite my persistence) .

I do worry though, that my ED is creeping up on me again (I used alcohol to cope with eating, and now when I'm eating don't have that 'sedative' - I don't feel I can eat, and I CANNOT eat in front of anyone)...

Thank you once again for your support
Old 01-25-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cassie6: You refer to an "eating disorder". Are you referring to Bulimia (excessive eating followed by purging) or Anorexia (starving yourself to achieve inappropriate weight loss)? You say you "are unable get help". Have you no primary physician or access to a counselor?Unfortunately both ailments may get worse unless they are treated professionally.

W.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cassie

I'm glad you're three weeks sober and found something to be passionate about.

I'm sorry about the eating disorder - I know there are twelve step programmes for EDs if you're not against the Higher Power ethos

http://www.oagb.org.uk/

(Despite the name 'Overeaters Anonymous' anyone with any kind of eating disorder is welcome)

We also have a small but informative forum here on SR
Eating Disorders - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

and some UK links on how to find help etc

National Centre for Eating Disorders » Home
https://www.b-eat.co.uk/support-services
What's Wrong? Problems Therapy Manages

D
Old 01-25-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there
I also am having terrible trouble with food issues again.... they are getting worse. I have been to my doctor but basically was told that the waiting list for specific help is 2 years so they wouldn't refer me. They sent me to a dietiton but she only saw me 3 times and just basically told me to follow healthy diet! All I seem to get told is that you're an adult and you know what to do! I really hope that you can get better help than I have. As Dee said the forum on here is really supportive. X
Old 01-26-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Congratulations Cassie three weeks is great
Old 01-26-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three weeks!

I see you live in the UK. - i.e. no medical costs. So I'm wondering what help might be available on the NHS r.e. the eating disorder you describe.