Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend binge drinkers- any blood pressure improvement after quitting?

Notices

Old 01-25-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all,

I have done a search but have not seen anything related to my specific situation. Hoping others here have the same or similar experience and can shed some light for me, as I am desperate for answers.

I have been a weekend binge drinker for many years. About a year ago my Dr. told me I have high blood pressure. I pretty much ate healthy but started exercising a few months ago. I have not seen any improvement so have been racking my brain as to what it could be. The Information from my dr. Is to eat healthy and exercise. This was very frustrating because I could not figure out why I would have high BP. I have always been healthy and figured those good habits would outweigh the weekend drinking of two to three bottles of liquor on the weekend. Sometimes one bottle Friday, one bottle Saturday, and 3/4 to one bottle Sunday. Sometimes it is one bottle Saturday and one on Sunday. But I am feeling that this could be the only other reason that could be contributing to my high BP. It just didn't dawn on me as I probably stupidly thought drinking a lot on the weekend would not be responsible for high blood pressure.

My questions are: does weekend binge drinking over many years cause consistently high blood pressure, and has anyone been a weekend drinker and when you abstained, did it help your blood pressure reach normal levels?

I am hoping to hear some of these experiences as this is my last resort to identifying the cause of my high BP and finally quit!

Thank you anyone who is willing to take your time to read this. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine improved a lot! I too ate healthy, exercised am at a good weight. My resting heart rate went down quite a bit too.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi starcco, the short answer is yes, repeated binge drinking does raise BP.

It is a little bit tricky to post a link containing specifics as a lot of them are commercial businesses but I have screen shot the relevant text from one of them. A quick online search will provide plenty more information about this subject.

Good luck on quitting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170125_191706.jpg (69.2 KB, 139 views)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It absolutely did for me, but I was a continuous drinker. From 160/100 5 years ago to 120/70 today. Not the reason I quit, but a nice side effect for sure.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep.
Mine went way down!
When I was admitted to detox it was insane...like 165/118
Now it is normally around 125/70
Old 01-25-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

100%. I was a weekend warrior and my BP was very high even with medication. I quit over a year ago and its fine now. I can feel it, and it feels much better. You will feel much calmer. I exercise regularly and eat fairly well. So yeah, you'll need put down the booze if you want to lower it.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
100%. I was a weekend warrior and my BP was very high even with medication. I quit over a year ago and its fine now. I can feel it, and it feels much better. You will feel much calmer. I exercise regularly and eat fairly well. So yeah, you'll need put down the booze if you want to lower it.
Great thanks! What were your numbers if you don't mind sharing?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Absolutely. I was borderline for needing medication before I quit. I was around 140/90 most of the time, sometimes higher. After I quit, it got better within a few weeks, and now I'm down to what used to be normal for me, 90/60. I didn't drink heavily every day. Maybe 3-4 days a week. Other days I could limit myself to one or two, or sometimes none. So I guess that made me a binge drinker.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi Starcco,

I have had high blood pressure since my first pregnancy when I was not drinking. It is hereditary and I have been on meds for a long time.

During the last 6 months of drinking my Dr doubled my meds and even that didn't work. Since stopping drinking it has come down to being normal, still on meds though because it is hereditary I probably always will be.

Do you have a family history of high BP? Be careful of thinking drinking is responsible for all health issues. Even 'normal' people get high BP and it is important to have it controlled.

Good luck and stay sober!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Boxer

Yep.....I was 170/110 and now 130/85. Working on getting it to the optimal 120/80
Old 01-25-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Boxer, were you also a weekend drinker, and how long did it take for your BP to go down to 130/80?
Old 01-30-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Does anyone know why this rise in blood pressure happens in the first place? I would like to try to reverse it quickly, or should I expect it to take several weeks as many here have experienced? I understand everyone is different. Thank you all!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol does affect blood pressure amongst a lot of there things. So the doctor has diagnosed you with high blood pressure then you must be on medication or they are looking for you to make lifestyle changes in a matter of weeks to return for another test to see if you need medication? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family? Are you overweight? These two influences would far outweigh weekend binges; if neither of them are applicable you have your answer.

The top reading is not that relevant but the bottom reading is very high so hope you get it sorted.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElianL View Post
Alcohol does affect blood pressure amongst a lot of there things. So the doctor has diagnosed you with high blood pressure then you must be on medication or they are looking for you to make lifestyle changes in a matter of weeks to return for another test to see if you need medication? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family? Are you overweight? These two influences would far outweigh weekend binges; if neither of them are applicable you have your answer.

The top reading is not that relevant but the bottom reading is very high so hope you get it sorted.
I am not yet on medication but borderline and she is close to puttin me on it. I am not overweight, I eat healthy and I have been exercising for several months (about four months). I am adopted so do not know my family history.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starcco View Post
Great thanks! What were your numbers if you don't mind sharing?
165/115....sometimes higher, sometimes a bit lower. It was bad.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Did anyone's doctor say how this caused the raise in BP in the first place? I understand the rise in BP during the drinking episode, but I am wondering how the long term weekend binge drinking may cause the consistent rise in BP.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wasn't a weekend binger but a one day on, one day off guy but I found my BP was getting so high it definitely scared me enough to be a big factor in me quitting. I got aa lot of localised pounding in my head and ears that was pretty painful. I noticed that drop significantly within a week and more again after a month. A good job too because I'm pretty sure I would have had a stroke if it had gone on much longer.

Quit now if you can you will feel better.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks unwound. I definitely quit, but now I have anxiety about this BP thing. I wish I knew what caused it. I get the drinking, but what about the drinking, because I have stopped for a week and have not seen significant drops yet.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The biggest thing I found was the dehydration which really does effect your BP; long term abuse really does dry you out and it was only weeks into recovery I realised how much of a problem this had become. That's not the only factor but it was a big one for me.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks. I will make sure to stay hydrated. I have definitely been feeling way better physically with the better sleep. More mental clarity and engagement. Just want to reverse this BP thing. If I knew what it was I Can try to do things to try to reverse it.