Notices

Essential Oils; Recovery

Old 01-23-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Essential Oils; Recovery

Hi everyone! I feel that the more we have in our arsenal the healthier we can be as not only a recovering addict, but as a person.

I have found that personally, essential oils have changed my recovery and my life in general. There are essential oils and blends for every situation, mental needs, and physical needs. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that essential oils replace needing a doctor, a psychiatrist, or mental health meds- but I have found that my overall mental and physical health have been changed and the more I learn about what different oils can help and what blends work (the brand I buy my oils from have almost 200 oils not counting the blends that they have offered to make for common ailments (anxiety, depression, insomnia, low mood, low energy etc.)

I have about a year and a half recovery time, I have a doctor and a psychiatric and a substance abuse counselor, I found hobbies I truly love, am back to reading books which reading is a love of mine, I meditate, I keep a journal, I exercise, I stick to a diet that my doctor has recommended for my mental and physical health..etc. What I am trying to say in this ramble is that I in no way only rely on essential oils- but it is one of the best things that I have added to my life.

I know many people are skeptical about essential oils (I was too) until I spent a month really researching and delving into the proven studies and anything and everything about essential oils (I am still always researching and looking for oils that would be an asset in my collection).

Never count anything out until you have tried it. I would also like to say that what company you buy your essential oils at is a huge key factor. The ones they sell at stores are not pure, not 3rd party tested for purity, and are diluted. Yes, first quality essential oils are expensive- a 15 ml bottle can go for $20 give or take depending on brand and type of oil. You will not see the true effects of an essential oil unless you buy them from a reputable company. (Although they can seem expensive, a pure essential oil 15 ml bottle has around 300 servings in it being that you only use one drop at a time- plus most reputable brands have a 100% money back guarantee if you are not happy with it. )

I just wanted to share this with everyone because taking the leap and pushing through my skepticism was one of the best moves I have made in my life. I will forever be adding to my collection, forever use essential oils, and use them everyday in mine and my families daily life.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never looked into health benefits but I've used frankincense and patchouli for many years as scents

D
Old 01-25-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

I've been interested in essential oils for a while, and I do believe there are potential benefits to using them. People seem to swear by these for hormonal imbalances, for sure.

As a friendly skeptic, though, most people don't try them due to the millions of fad products and snake oils that practically litter the internet and health food stores. So, when they come across things like this, they really don't know whether or not to believe the hype.

Although I'm leaning more toward wanting to use essential oils myself, trying everything is impossible, due to the fact that you'd either run out of money or health problems would arise (with some of the more shady varieties of products on the market). You often times can't predict what will happen on a personal level with anything new that you use, so I tend to side with the skeptics just to err on the side of caution... even if this really does blatantly work for some people.

Just thought I'd point that out. This is also why I've just been relying heavily on a better diet now, because it's the one thing we all seem to agree on.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm 9 days sober now and I started using essential oils last week to help with the extreme anxiety and inability to stay asleep I had coming off of alcohol. The first night I used them, I slept restfully through the night and only woke up once. I also notice a decrease in irritability from stress when I diffuse them.

I am a HUGE skeptic. But honestly I was willing to try pretty much anything that might help.

And I think it's important to mention that I am not relying only on oils. I have a full recovery plan.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love lavender and I use peppermint also.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a Melaleuca account and they sell them. I have been interested but do not know enough about them. I need to place an order in the next couple of days. Do you have any links to quick reference that you would recommend/
Old 01-25-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like lavendar, peppermint, and frankincense
Old 01-25-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lavender Peppermint and sandlewood.. love this to bits. helps my sleep and rest and my day go better... use of a candle in the night.. and bath oil on the weekends.. believe in them so much... prayers to you all for a better tomorrow..
Old 01-25-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have an essential oil mist spray called Chill Pill. If I do like a guided meditation or something and find myself feeling exceptionally calm and at peace I'll smell this stuff and try to get my brain to connect the smell with the feeling, so later when I smell it again and I'm not calm, it'll calm me more? Does that work? lol
Old 01-25-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok so which companies are reputable??
Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well....for this blue collar dude who changed his own "truck" oil until it got to be too much of a pain to dispose, I have gone to the "essential" oil side. A woman friend of mine has sworn by the benefits and finally convinced me to give it a whirl.....soooooo... I got a diffuser and put on at night. I was EXTREMELY skeptical, but my sleep and mood had improved pretty markedly (lavendar oil).

Been experimenting with frankencense and eucalyptus, as well.

Of course, if any of the above were ever made public, I could neither confirm nor deny the existance of said diffsuing device.

CW
Old 01-25-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by pooky View Post
Ok so which companies are reputable??
If we start getting too far into brand names this thread might stray into commercial promotion territory and that's against our rules.

A quick Google will throw up pages and pages of comparisons between brands as well what to look, and look out, for

D
Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Slightly OT but I use peppermint oil mixed with water sprayed around the home to keep spiders at bay. The first year I wondered if it was a coincidence that we saw hardly any. This is the second year and can confirm it seriously works. Spider free zone.

Back on topic, if it works for the above, then I can't see why the other oils wouldn't work for other things. I will look into this.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Which flavours (not brands) are good to aid relaxing and sleeping? ? What do u do with it?? Obviously not ingest... but put on skin/oil burner/dunno !!! Love nice smells but don't know what to do! Interested lots though
Old 01-26-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The more information there is out there the better for all of us thanks for adding things that people should consider to help people weigh the pros and cons when it comes to using essential oils! Sorry I took so long to answer I was out of town and not able to get on the internet
Old 01-26-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm sorry if it came across as if I was trying to sell a certain brand or anything like that. I do not sell oils I just wanted to let people know that companies are allow to say their brand is pure as long as there is 5% of the oil in that particle oil and therefore would not provide the same effects- Quick google searches are geared towards getting sales not what the quality is therefore I called many brands, emailed asking for specific companies that they did 3rd party testing and how the oils are harvest.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I thought the same thing! At first it is like "well did it actually do it or was I was telling myself it did".

I am so happy they have worked for you too!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Apparently I completely messed up how to reply to everyone's messages sorry about that! I guess even though I messed it all up I still was able to try to answer questions and talk in general

again sorry about making a big mess out of my replying!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

No mess at all, Adeline, and thanks for your helpful information.