Notices

Anxiety and alcohol

Old 01-23-2017, 01:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and alcohol

Seems to be a theme this last few days here. Here's a jargon free and straightforward article and jumping off point for anyone interested.

Alcohol and Anxiety
Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good article. I'm adding it to my bookmarks so I can easily link it when then next spate of posts regarding anxiety in early sobriety comes along.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, mentium!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Mentium! It should be common knowledge around here that alcohol use by itself causes anxiety, and for those with an underlying anxiety disorder only make it worse. That has been the hardest part for me. I have had anxiety since college -- at least. And over the last several years I noticed and had concluded that I had horrible anxiety after drinking. It was all over my journal.

But in the last year I was under tremendous stress from work and personal life, and began drinking heavier and heavier to deal with anxiety. It got to a point that I was drinking wine by 8:30 am just to function. I would have night sweats, tremors, and intense nausea. Little did I know it was withdrawal symptoms.

Long story short, I had to go med detox to get off the booze. I will never go back to that.

Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It took me a LONG time to realize that alcohol was causing my anxiety.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 5 here and my anxiety has already decreased a lot than just a few days ago. We drink to deal with our anxiety but it only ends up making it worse, so we drink more.

The distinction I want to make is about underlying issues. For me, I also have underlying issues that trigger my anxiety. I believe no pill, drug, or drink will ever make that go away. That has been my solution up to this point. My plan is to try to tackle the underlying issues as a way to address the anxiety. That is what the plan is for.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey all

It's lovely to find this thread. I know for sure that booze is making my anxiety worse, but how do you trust to those first few weeks without it? Not a rhetorical, I really am looking for answers. Upped my meds this weekend but feel that this is a temporary solution...
Old 01-23-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SS

I know for sure that booze is making my anxiety worse, but how do you trust to those first few weeks without it?
Not sure exactly what you mean, but I just sat with my anxiety -I tried to reason that it was part of the withdrawal process and that it would lessen in time. That seemd to take some of the panic out of it for me.

Of course if your anxiety is paralysing or debilitating, you probably need to see a Dr or therapist

D
Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most, if not all, of my anxiety while drinking was a direct result of my drinking.."oh..I owe what?..I did what?..ect..." It was the drinking that caused my anxiety. That I then covered up(in my head) with more drinking...Vicious cycle!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just had a thought about this issue while I was out for my evening dog walk.

I got to wondering whether anxiety is more severe for me when drinking vs when sober. I concluded that without doubt it is far worse when drinking in my case. As someone who only drank in the evenings my days would often be full of it. Obsessive anxiety at times over things I have no control over.

Now that I am not drinking and intend to remain so there are anxieties of course - perhaps more than the 'average' person - though I don't know of course.

The key difference - and it may well be one reason relapsing is so common and so easy - is that when drinking we can get more or less instant temporary relief from it all. I know I did. After the first glass or two of wine every evening the troubles and anxieties of the world seemed to evaporate. That feeling has quite a pull!

Sober, I may still be a relatively anxious person but after 13 days now my average overall level of anxiety already feels much reduced..though not as much as I want it to be - but there is no instant remedy any more. The cost of that remedy is just too high!

Talking of which I started meditation today - something I first did many years ago. Felt good!