Notices

Shaking hands and scared

Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shaking hands and scared

I have never experienced shaking hands before. It came with racing heart beat and anxiety. Got very scared.

Embarrassingly I drank a bottle wine to ease the withdrawal symptoms but now I'm afraid for tomorrow when I have to got work.

I'm drinking water but still highly agitated and nervous about tomorrow.

Help
Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ace

If you're worried about withdrawal the very best thing to do is to check with your Dr first. That way you can know you'll be safe?
D
Old 01-22-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been through it and it was a nightmare and I, too, drank to relieve the symptoms. I lived like that for ten years. Went to the hospital three times and lied about my drinking.
If things get worse I would see a doctor or go to the ER and be brutally honest about what's going on.
Believe me, you don't want to get to the point I did.
Best to you. and be safe.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

My hands used to shake the morning after I drank. It stopped once I stopped drinking.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Look up some breathing exercises and give them a try for now. Try and drink your water and get your rest. Anxiety alone can cause shaking hands, even without more intense withdrawal effects, and each of these things can help with anxiety.

Otherwise, like Dee said, talk to your doctor for advice. Shaking hands are scary and uncomfortable, but more serious withdrawal effects can occur in the first few days even if they go away on their own.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I regularly had shaky hands and embarrased to say but couldn't actually physically write at work one day due to withdrawing. Writing at best was awful as had a constant tremble in my hands. Actually remember drinking a bottle of wine before writing my Christmas cards so my writing was neater!!

I am only day 12 but shaking has gone now completely. Seek medical help withdrawals can be fatal
Old 01-23-2017, 01:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking my hands were so shaky I could hardly type let alone write.
Also my legs were shaky, especially on stairs.

It took about 4 days to subside, but please follow the advice here - see your Dr if you are concerned.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm retired now but when I was working a lot of my job involved management meetings, often first thing in the morning. There were times when I was afraid to lift a cup of coffee to my lips because I thought the shaking of my hands would be noticeable to the rest of the people round the table.

What awfulness we put ourselves through.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ace!!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go to ER or a walk in medical clinic. Tell them you are detoxing from alcohol, and you are having the shakes.

They will evaluate you, blood pressure, heart rate etc. If that's fairly normal they will probably give you a small (10mg) script for a few valium to get you through a few days.

I did that a few times (slow learner, here) and I was usually in and out in a couple of hours. The valium really helped get me through the next couple of days. I never even finished the whole prescription.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi ace

prayin' for ya
Old 01-23-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. You really helped ease my fears and I am feeling better today.
I hope never to experience that again. But I see how strong my dependence has become... especially psychologically, emotionally and socially. Trying to figure out where to go from here.

I guess reaching out on here is a good start
Old 01-23-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

“Forget what we became, focus on what we're capable of becoming.”
― Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel

Many Blessings Ace
Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"I guess reaching out on here is a good start "

It is.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Towards the end of my drinking career I would get the shakes so bad I had to give up coffee. It got so bad that I started drinking in the morning just to stop the shakes. It wasn't long before I was drinking all day, every day. Don't get to that point. Stop drinking now and be free.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The shakiness IS an eye opener! I remember about 2yrs ago,when I had that, trying to pass out pizza, at an extended family brunch.. That's when I knew I was in too deep with the booze. After a few days it goes away..Don't mistake that as an "all clear"..It's a sign that you're dependant on booze.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ace! "Trying to figure out where to go from here."

I suggest that the place to go is UP! This could be your turning point. Go for it! First consult your doctor. Tell him/her everything. Hold nothing back. There is complete confidence in what you say. As for the job it's better to call in sick than to go and have it obvious. A lot of folks have flu this time of year. But if it happens too often you can get in trouble. You will lose your job anyway if this goes on and on.
So make the most of it. Let this day be a new day for you. Day No.1! May there be many more days of sobriety for you. Every good wish!

Bill
Old 01-24-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

But I see how strong my dependence has become... especially psychologically, emotionally and socially.

You forgot to add, physically.

It's the physical symptoms that kicked my butt, and finally made me realize that I couldn't do this forever. Age and years of drinking compounded the problem.