Old 01-22-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paws

How long can this stuff last?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here is a very good article-
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

Everyone is different, and I had severe PAWS. I saw a turning point around 100 days, then another shift around 5 and a half months. I experienced what I think of as all kinds of symptoms of my body healing, and them rolling out of my body top down. I am 11 mo sober today; I still struggle some with fatigue and have to make sure I get good sleep and I often take naps. On the whole, I am healthy and feel great most of the time.

Hang in there. The only thing you can do very wrong is to drink again.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 11 months August!!! That's awesome!! And Thank You!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was a year before I felt recovered enough physically so that I felt normal, like my 12 year old self.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I suppose that depends on what we do to offset the effects of it.

I took several suggestions from the Digital Dharma article and found that things improved pretty much as soon as I implemented these changes, and made them part of my daily routine. Whether things would have improved, and in what timescale, if I had not do everything so i can't know? I'm just grateful that I happened to read it when I did.

BB
Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link to the page about PAWS August. It confirms an opinion I have been forming about how eating too much sugar in recovery can give rise not only to feeling terrible, but also to craving alcohol. Interesting!

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Here is a very good article-
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

Everyone is different, and I had severe PAWS. I saw a turning point around 100 days, then another shift around 5 and a half months. I experienced what I think of as all kinds of symptoms of my body healing, and them rolling out of my body top down. I am 11 mo sober today; I still struggle some with fatigue and have to make sure I get good sleep and I often take naps. On the whole, I am healthy and feel great most of the time.

Hang in there. The only thing you can do very wrong is to drink again.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

/
Old 01-22-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is the trap I've fallen in to too. Too much sugar and caffeine. I'm feeling worse now (almost 3 months in) than I did after a couple of weeks. Time to make changes to my diet and hope to feel the benefits soon as I'm all over the place in my head and don't feel great at all. Just shows what damage we've done that it takes so long to feel better.....take care tomls x
Old 01-22-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

me too about the sugar. I have fallen into the same sort of trap eating products high in it to get that hit/reward/relief. when I crash it makes my anxiety so much worse
Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Diet is important- and I eat a 99% healthy one with tons of fruits and veggies, almost always lean protein, etc....but I just went cold turkey from my daily ice cream habit 9 days ago. I haven't cut all sugar out but ice cream was a HUGE issue. I go back and forth on caffeine, drink a lot of coffee, and generally don't have any after mid afternoon now.

I am a believer in time taking time, getting good dr assistance and meds if needed (I am on a well supervised regimen), and generally doing everything we can to live our best life. Some of the bad stuff takes time, or comes back after it seems gone, during the first year or two (from what I understand).

I do know that on even my crappiest feeling day sober, it's way better than any day drinking.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Definitely agree on the sugar thing. Watch out for that. My PAWS was pretty bad, but I was almost certainly eating/drinking enough sugar to make me feel even worse than I already did.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My caffeine and nicotine use are likely contributing to my paws, and I am fine with not smoking, but I am afraid I will be too tired without caffeine and won't be able to focus. But it's not helping me to feel awake or stay focused. But I am afraid I won't be able to function without it. lol

Hmmm I did the same thing with alcohol. hmmmm indeed.