Notices

Its time

Old 01-21-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Its time

I joined a while ago but never posted anything because I don't think I was really ready to stop drinking, a part of my mind still isn't but I need to stop, I'm on antidepressants and its just not safe to mix. I hope I can get to that day where alcohol isn't on my mind all the time. Wish me luck
Old 01-21-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to he forums. Glad you are here.
It's been my experience if you take it one day at a time, and as those days add up, thoughts of alcohol will lessen.
I've been sober for six years and thoughts of alcohol still come to mind, I just don't act on them.
I do this by remembering what alcohol did to me and the nightmare of a life I was living.
Then I think of the day after a binge, or even a single day, of drinking and the fear, anxiety and remorse were so overwhelming.
I come here and read posts. I pray.
I never want that life of drinking back. Alcohol won. I gave up and gave in and sought help.
Best to you.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're ready to stop drinking.

Do you have a plan in mind for how to stop drinking and recover? I know you will find lots of ideas and support here.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things The Owl - you'll find a lot of support here

Do you have any ideas on how you'll stay sober?

D
Old 01-21-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From one owl to another, welcome the SR. This is - by far - one of the most supportive & fascinating communities I've ever known!

Read & read & post & post - the ones who make it are the ones that throw themselves in!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support and good advice.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi The Owl. It took me a little while too. I joined & kept reading. I wanted what my friends here had. When I realized others had the same thoughts & feelings, I knew I never had to feel alone. That meant everything. You can do it. Life will be so much better when you're free.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Welcome to he forums. Glad you are here.
It's been my experience if you take it one day at a time, and as those days add up, thoughts of alcohol will lessen.
I've been sober for six years and thoughts of alcohol still come to mind, I just don't act on them.
I do this by remembering what alcohol did to me and the nightmare of a life I was living.
Then I think of the day after a binge, or even a single day, of drinking and the fear, anxiety and remorse were so overwhelming.
I come here and read posts. I pray.
I never want that life of drinking back. Alcohol won. I gave up and gave in and sought help.
Best to you.
Thanks, glad you've made it through, good luck for the future too
Old 01-23-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you're ready to stop drinking.

Do you have a plan in mind for how to stop drinking and recover? I know you will find lots of ideas and support here.
I'm just taking it one day at a time at the moment
Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
From one owl to another, welcome the SR. This is - by far - one of the most supportive & fascinating communities I've ever known!

Read & read & post & post - the ones who make it are the ones that throw themselves in!
Love your owl picture from the time I've spent just lurking here I know it is a good forum, hope I can make good use of it
Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support and good advice.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi The Owl. It took me a little while too. I joined & kept reading. I wanted what my friends here had. When I realized others had the same thoughts & feelings, I knew I never had to feel alone. That meant everything. You can do it. Life will be so much better when you're free.
Thanks, means a lot
Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering

Whatever happens, great choice Owl!

And I think you highlight a huge 'hidden' step in recovery - the very long stage many of us take getting to a point we're ready to earnestly try for a sober life. The 'Maņana' stage took years for me to get over (and then I got stuck in it again after a relapse last year).

Stick with us here whatever comes.