Notices

Alzhiemers was going to be my 'cure'

Old 01-21-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Alzhiemers was going to be my 'cure'

Hi All,

I hope every one is enjoying their weekend. I just needed to 'unpack' my day day so I thought I'd share here.

I went to see my Dad today, it was my first visit to him since I stopped drinking. He is a two and a half hour drive away and in a nursing home with well advanced Alzhiemers.

It is always bittersweet to see him, he can no longer talk or walk and it is hard to see him like that but it is also nice to just sit with him and hold his hand. Mostly he seems comfortable and he is well cared for by the staff where he is.

In the not so distant past, a visit like this would have meant a stop by the bottleshop on my way home so I could 'drink away' the worry and sadness. Tonight I stopped by an AA meeting instead and enjoyed a sober dinner with some fellow members. A much better way to end the day.

My Dad, when he was well, always had two beers each night, no more than that. When his alzhiemers began to worsen he simply forgot he drank. I used to think that this is what it would take for me to stop.

Now I can say this is no longer true, for that I am grateful.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that scuffanie - all the best to you and your dad

D