Notices

Anxiety

Old 01-20-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Anyone else have an overabundance of anxiety? I do, and its a reason Ive struggled so much to quit for good. It's downright painful. Im on meds but they don't seem to help that much.

Much of it stems from issues from my past and Ive dealt with this since my youth, back to when I ever started drinking. Its hard. Maybe its good old alcoholism, or the "isms" they call it. Who knows.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep and I think you'll find you're not alone. And my active addiction (which has been inactive for 5 months) makes it much worse.

I have gad and ptSD and unfortunately no meds that aren't addictive work for me. Exercise is a life saver. I'm also working the program in AA and that is really helping me. I also did years of counseling and EMDR which did help.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, anxiety is part of my life everyday. I've learned some things via therapy, mindfulness and tries Meds too. All have helped to some degree, but acceping that I'm an anxious person has probly helped the most. As well as accepting that I can still do anything I like even if not always 100 percent comfortable at first.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yep, anxiety is part of my life everyday. I've learned some things via therapy, mindfulness and tries Meds too. All have helped to some degree, but acceping that I'm an anxious person has probly helped the most. As well as accepting that I can still do anything I like even if not always 100 percent comfortable at first.
Yes, this is me, too.

These books have helped me manage:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places That Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain That Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne The Power of Intention and Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Orsilla, Ken Mindful way Through Anxiety
Old 01-20-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep. It has been the hardest part of my recovery. It is, however, and unfortunately, very common. Alcohol, especially after quitting, only makes it worse after relapses.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Bluedog,

I have always dealt with anxiety as well. I have worked with my doctor, and I do have medication for when I am really anxious, and also to help me sleep. One other thing that has helped me is mindfulness, if you google it you will find a ton of info.

I can tell you my anxiety has lessened since I have stopped drinking. I used to think wine helped me to relax, but truthfully it just made me more anxious.

You can do this Bluedog!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes. I've had severe anxiety my whole life. Major reason I drink. Alcohol is the one thing that makes me feel okay. So yeah, it's very hard to learn new ways of dealing with it. I get you!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Bluedog,

I have always dealt with anxiety as well. I have worked with my doctor, and I do have medication for when I am really anxious,
I have had medication mooted by my therapist but I'm wary as I want to try and deal with it without for as long as possible.

out of interest what medication were you prescribed?
Old 01-21-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm another one in the anxiety and depression club. Medications do help, but it isn't a cure all for most. The other half of the puzzle is seeing a good therapist
Old 01-21-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
Anyone else have an overabundance of anxiety? I do, and its a reason Ive struggled so much to quit for good. It's downright painful. Im on meds but they don't seem to help that much.

Much of it stems from issues from my past and Ive dealt with this since my youth, back to when I ever started drinking. Its hard. Maybe its good old alcoholism, or the "isms" they call it. Who knows.
I am going through the same thing mate. Am trying to exercise and eat well which seems to help. I am also using the calm app to do meditation. They have an anxiety specific mindfulness program which helps allot.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I definitely have anxiety. I youtube a lot of TED talks on people who have overcome or have great talks on anxiety and it really helps if you are ever looking for something to help.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Blue,

Now that I quit for 21 months...my anxiety is nearly gone.

It was all caused by drinking for me. I still get nervous at times, but that is natural.

I bought the audio book..from Panic to power...it helped a bit.

Exercise helps me. I take a multi vit and a b12 daily. I drink no more than 3 cups of coffee a day.

The coffee ramps up my anxiety, but it helps with my addictive personality. I didn't give up all vices yet.