Notices

making a difference

Old 01-20-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

making a difference

Just when I think my existence doesn't make a difference, I was shown that that's not true. I was in a class of 8th graders. It was a big class with a lot of very disruptive students. Couldn't care less about the work. They were more interested on hitting on each other, texting on their phones, feeling sorry for themselves, etc. I had enough so did what I hate to do. I yelled at them and told them to sit down. To my surprise, they listened to me. I went on a rant about their behaviors and lack of interest in getting a good education and how that will affect them in the future. I was really on a roll cause I hate seeing kids wasting their lives. I went on and on and noticed most of them actually listening to me. Couldn't believe it cause these kids are really hard core. The nice thing about being a sub is I don't have to worry about being PC. They didn't finish the work, but I gave them something to think about. Who knows; maybe one kid will come to school Monday with a different attitude. Love those kids. John
Old 01-20-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

A kind word , a thoughful action can help our fellow alcoholics get through .

You also can inspire youngsters , thats a great power .

Bestwishes, m
Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess based on the few responses to my thread that making a difference when sober doesn't resonate to others. Too bad. Thought I was giving a positive example to what sobriety can give. John
Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I use math and science every day. It's very important and useful to some of us.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John - it's been a busy day for me - hadn't read this thread before now.

When I think about school the teachers who stand out for me where the ones who went the extra yards to make a personal connection.

Sounds like you're one of those guys

They may not get the platitudes, or even the thread replies - but I'm sure you do make a difference John and I'm sure there are students who think fondly of you in the same way I think fondly of my role models at school

D