Can I go to an AA meeting?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I go to an AA meeting?

I've only been to Al-anon once in the past year.
There is only one meeting per week in my whole county, and it's at a time that is nearly impossible for me to make right now.

I really miss meetings. I want to continue to work the steps (though I know I don't have to go to meetings to do that)

AA meetings are held 4 days per week during the lunch hour, which is a much better time for me.

I've never been to an AA meeting. I'm not sure if I would even feel comfortable there, like I do at Al-anon, but just wondered if I were to pop in once in a while... is that okay?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You absolutely can go. AA meetings have designations: open means anyone can attend. Closed means people struggling with drinking only are welcome. Speaker meetingsmeans there is someone to tell their story. Step means the group focues on the 12 steps. I would suggest starting with an open meeting.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think AA meetings are enlightening and helpful, but they are NOT a substitute for Al-Anon. I'm sure you would feel welcome at any open AA meeting--discussion or speaker's meetings are the best. Step meetings or Big Book studies are probably much more helpful for alcoholics--the focus of the Steps is much different.

It's not appropriate for anyone who isn't an alcoholic to share at an AA meeting. If you are called on, or they are going around the room, just say "I'll pass" or "I'm here to listen." It's fine to talk to people before or after the meeting, though.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well said above. anyone can attend an OPEN meeting of AA (or NA). however it is NOT a substitute for Alanon.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my old HG had had al anon members show up and not sure if they could attend due to the meetings being closed. we'd ask," do you have a desire to stay sober today?"
if yes, they were welcome to attend.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I attended a few AA meetings when in nursing school. I was going to alanon too, so it all kind of helped. My first alanon experience was incredibly depressing, but so helpful. I sat in this room with crying women and just felt so sad, however I really needed the look into my future. A few weeks later at AA I saw a room full of supportive people wanting help. It was actually a really uplifting group. Anyway the point is that both groups serve a great purpose and I've found good in both. I consider going back to AA myself.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I think AA meetings are enlightening and helpful, but they are NOT a substitute for Al-Anon. I'm sure you would feel welcome at any open AA meeting--discussion or speaker's meetings are the best. Step meetings or Big Book studies are probably much more helpful for alcoholics--the focus of the Steps is much different.

It's not appropriate for anyone who isn't an alcoholic to share at an AA meeting. If you are called on, or they are going around the room, just say "I'll pass" or "I'm here to listen." It's fine to talk to people before or after the meeting, though.
My sponsor is a double-winner and he encouraged me to attend some open AA meetings in addition to my usual Alanon meetings, the only suggestion is that I do not speak about drinking related topics. So I speak about the emotional and spiritual malady aspects. I find the AA 12-and-12 tremendously helpful, it made a lot my behavior clear that went into my Alanon 4th and 5th step work. I always identify as a "grateful member of alanon".

OTOH the AA meetings I attend are only open ones so there is perhaps a greater openness there for what might otherwise be considered outside issues. Some in the 12-and-12 AA meeting do hospital & institution meetings, I go with them as an Alanon. Lots of the folks in detox or jail have a lot of experience with loved ones in various addictions and have never heard of Alanon, the needs & pain are so deep and complex that anyone carrying some kind of message helps. Its a very profound experience, I would suggest it to anyone who wants some extra traction in their recovery.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kboys,
When I was in the thick of my divorce, I went to two alanon meetings and two open aa meetings a week. They are wonderful. I would highly recommend you attending. You get to hear the perspective of the struggles the addicts have.

Go for it if you can find some meetings, and the people are awesome.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.
I appreciate the responses!
I'm planning to check out a meeting next week... I'll let you know how it goes
Have a nice weekend everyone
Old 01-21-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Might also be worth looking to see if there are any CoDa meetings available near you.