Notices

Another Quick Update

Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Quick Update

Hi there. I haven't posted much lately, but behind the scenes, I've been working on my sobriety. I'm not there yet, but getting there by taking proactive steps.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I registered for IOP. I had my first meeting for that on Monday, a chemical dependency evaluation. Next is the orientation and then the heavy work begins. I'm ready to get going on that.

I've also found an AA group that I like and intend to continue attending. I'm unsure of the 12 steps, but I do enjoy the fellowship with people who understand me.

Finally, I went to my doctor this morning and talked with her about supplementing treatment with medication. She agreed and started me on medication to help bolster me in recovery.

So, I'm still struggling, but I'm actively trying to put in place components to help me recover in body, mind, and spirit.

I wish all of you the best on your individual road to recovery.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

im glad youre attending meetings

aa including service to others is the largest contributor to my intact sobriety date

God bless

Old 01-20-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're moving forward and working on recovery.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SoberLifeForMe View Post
So, I'm still struggling, but I'm actively trying to put in place components to help me recover in body, mind, and spirit.
Seems like you are almost there. Get over that last hurdle and put the drink down for good.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, thank you, Carl. It's amazing how much easier my road ahead already feels now that I've reached out for help from others. Trying to do this alone was not a workable approach for me. It might work for some people, but for me, the support and help of others will be crucial, I feel, in achieving and maintaining long-term sobriety.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you stopped drinking? Not sure from your post.

I agree with you about going it alone. Personally I have found it almost impossible in the past. I think AA is a good choice too. The Steps - well they can wait if you aren't too sure from all I hear from well established members. The fellowship of fellow sufferers is a huge element of support as far as I am concerned.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Mentium. No, I haven't stopped drinking entirely, unfortunately. That's why I keep adding elements to my plan, such as my visit to the Dr. this morning and subsequent prescription. While I don't see the prescription she gave me (naltrexone) as a magic sober pill, which it isn't, in consulting with her, she did think it needs to be an element of me getting sober, at least until I'm able to learn some new tools in IOP.

I will be meeting with her again in about three months for my annual physical. That's also about the time that my treatment will go from intensive to low intensity, so she and I will determine if there's a need for me to continue with the naltrexone at that point. I'm hopeful I won't need it by then, but I'll take her advice when the time comes.

Anyway, yeah, still struggling. But, I'm hopeful that by changing things and getting outside help, I'll learn new things about myself and how to cope with life's challenges without alcohol. Already tonight I was able to work through a stressful situation without drinking by focusing on making dinner instead of my stressor at that moment, which has since passed.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm hopeful for the future.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you in IOP now?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the eval. Next Thursday is orientation, and the following week I start actual IOP. It's the soonest I could get in.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes SLFM - when do you envisage day one?

D
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today, Dee. I haven't had a drink in over 24 hours.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go on making it through that stressful situation without drinking. I used to do the same thing and cooking was one of my main excuses for drinking since my family usually left me alone in the kitchen while I was cooking. Hang in there tomorrow and keep expanding your sober time hour by hour