Notices

Fitbit

Old 01-20-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fitbit

I wore my Fitbit when I was actively drinking and my heart rate averaged 98 bpm. For sleep I was averaging 4 hours per night and it showed me restless 28 times.

I've been sober 3 weeks now and I put it back on two nights ago. My resting heart rate is 83 bpm. I'm averaging 7 hours of sleep and restless 8 times.

That's pretty drastic after only 3 weeks...wonder what it will look like after 3 months?
Old 01-20-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a great improvement!

Coincidentally, I've been considering a Fitbit, to encourage me to be more active. I've looked at the website, and I'm still in the dark! I don't want to spend too much, but don't want to buy the cheapest and find it's not appropriate. As a wearer, do you have any guidance please?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

right on!

my resting HR after three years sober is generally between 45 and 50.

it's definitely a good thing for your health!!

Old 01-20-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's really goo news! My partner uses one of those but I think I would have been to scared to when I was drinking. I shudder to think what my heart rate was like!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
That's a great improvement!

Coincidentally, I've been considering a Fitbit, to encourage me to be more active. I've looked at the website, and I'm still in the dark! I don't want to spend too much, but don't want to buy the cheapest and find it's not appropriate. As a wearer, do you have any guidance please?
I have the Fitbit HR and, honestly, I got that one because my 18 year old daughter said it was the best one for the money. It tracks steps taken and stairs climbed, has an alarm clock and caller ID (when sycnced with your phone) If you downloaded the AP you can track your sleep, calories and water intake. I think I paid under $150 for it and I love it!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
That's really goo news! My partner uses one of those but I think I would have been to scared to when I was drinking. I shudder to think what my heart rate was like!
lol I hear you! I honestly didn't know what my heart rate should be back then but thought I might have a problem since I was showing fat burning mode while sitting still...
Old 01-20-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Munchkin, your model sounds awesome and teenagers are really tech savvy, so I'll take your daughter's advice. Tracking sleep and water would be a bonus for me, I don't drink enough (lol) and I think I don't sleep and wake up 'tired' but my husband says he's awake mostly and I sleep like a wooden log!

Thank you for your thread and reply, it came just as I was talking myself out of a Fitbit - but now I'm inspired to buy one this weekend and would love to witness my heart rate lowering as I excercise more!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had the fitbit flex for 2 years but my daughter bought me the same one as you for Christmas,my resting heart rate is around 65,I'd hate to have seen what it was while drinking cuz sometimes I'd see my pulse beating in my wrist through the skin! Maybe we can have a fitbit club if more members are interested, that would be kinda fun congratulations on 3 weeks!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have the Fitbit Alta and I love it. It does step count, calories and sleep it was about $120.00 and its no bigger than a watch. It has really been an incentive to move more.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have had the Flex since 2012 and love it. I prefer the Flex over the newer models because the band can be replaced - the rubber breaks fairly often so I don't want to use a newer model where the FitBit itself is permanently attached to the band.

It is crazy to look at the differences in my sleep patterns since quitting drinking.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good point about the band dontburntheday, I hadn't considered that!

Winslow I think a Fitbit club is an excellent idea!!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Munchkin94 View Post
I wore my Fitbit when I was actively drinking and my heart rate averaged 98 bpm. For sleep I was averaging 4 hours per night and it showed me restless 28 times.

I've been sober 3 weeks now and I put it back on two nights ago. My resting heart rate is 83 bpm. I'm averaging 7 hours of sleep and restless 8 times.

That's pretty drastic after only 3 weeks...wonder what it will look like after 3 months?
My mom has a heart condition and I bought her a Fitbit heart monitor for Christmas. Too bad she just couldn't master it. Guess I'm sending it back.

Sounds like you have shone great improvement.
Keep up the good sober work.
M-Bob
Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think there is a fit bit group....

I have seen it on here before.

( I just bumped it up...it is under fitness & nutrition)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

dontburntheday-

you can change the bands on the fitbit charge 2 you can't on the charge 1.

Hope this helps if you want to upgrade sometime!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I too have a FitBit. My resting heart rate was 79 or so while drinking. Last night it was 64. I'm 26 days sober. It's amazing! Keep it up!
Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you. I never paid much attention to my stats when I was drinking, but my HR was up there. I stopped drinking 6 months ago and I average 48-52 rhr and more deep sleep too. On top of that I am running 20-30 miles a week and am getting ready to run my first 13.1.

Benefits of sobriety!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My daughter got me a Fitbit for my birthday in August of 2013. I thought it was kind of cool, but didn't think I would where it much.

I'm surprised that I've upgraded the original one, and have worn it daily for about 3 1/2 years. It's a great tool for helping keep track of several health stats.

One downside. It makes it tough for me to justify getting an Apple Watch. I have several years of data in the Fitbit universe, and I lose that if I switch brands.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a Fitbit Flex, which doesn't track heart rate, but in my first few days of sobriety, I definitely didn't need my Fitbit to tell me that my heart was pounding. When I laid down at night I could hear my pulse thundering in my ears. Such an awful and uncomfortable feeling.

My sleep data has been interesting, though. Like Munchkin, I struggled to get 4 hours a night at first. Now, 5-6 nights per week, I get my normal range (6.5 - 7 hours a night - I'm an early riser and a runner), with the one anomalous night where I get really immersed in researching something of interest and maybe miss out on 30-60 minutes.

Still, I'm feeling pretty good about the progress in three short weeks.

ABW1
Old 01-21-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have a flex also. It does incentive me to MOVE!! I like to know that I'm making at least 10K steps a day!

A fitbit club would be interesting and motivating!