Notices

birthday and alcoholic thinking

Old 01-18-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

birthday and alcoholic thinking

Hi all,
So tomorrow is my birthday, and Saturday is 30days sober since I had that binge back before Christmas.
I normally don't think much about my birthday, but this whole week, all I can think of is the years I wasted being wasted. It is more than a little depressing, I keep telling myself the future may hold some amazing years ahead, but I don't know, all I know is the amout of time I've wasted being a drunk.
I truly love being sober, and I'm still ashamed for getting drunk when I was so close to 90 days, but the past is the past and I can not change it, I need to stay in the now.
I guess I'm just thinking out loud more than anything, but I really just wish I could fast forward to Friday and skip my birthday.
Well I've got the grave yard shift again, so time for me to have some breakfast and head off to work .
Thanks ya all for listening.
Mick
Old 01-18-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mick I've done more in the last ten years than I did in the 20 before that.

The past is gone - but there's nothing stopping us making the best of today

Why would you want to skip your birthday? Do some nice for yourself. Sober birthdays can be great fun

D
Old 01-18-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The older I get the more I think about time.

Wasted and left.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mick, you've given yourself the very best birthday present ever, congrats!!!!!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe you could devote the day to giving your body birthday presents - delicious healthy food, a hot bath, a massage, fancy expensive juice that you would normally pass by...

No matter what we've done to our bodies with our addictions and/or alcoholism, if we are still here & alive it means our bodies are serving us like valiant warriors.

Make it a celebration of your indomitable and brave body, which just hung on through a whole nother year!!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mick,

Happy Almost Birthday!! Try not to think about the time you wasted drinking, most of us on this site have done the same. I have been sober a little over a year, and I am grateful for every sober minute.

Spoil yourself a little on your birthday, favorite food, movie...
Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My sobriety anniversary is feb 10. My sponsor called me on 10 may to tell me I had been sober three months. I had no idea. Three months would have been a great birthday present, but I got a better one. I had been working the steps and was into step nine. I had had several spiritual experiences in that process and had actually been set up for permanent sobriety. That was the real birthday gift. Total freedom from alcohol. Imagine that.

It's funny, but my birthday didn't really mean much, not compared to the fact that I had gone three months without serious thought of a drink. And I have not needed to drink since.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mick, I know what you mean about regretting the wasted years.

But we can't change the past, so a little regret is good to keep us on the right road, but don't waste too much time on regret either.

Time for us to move on and make the best of what we have right now.

And Happy Birthday to you! Glad that you are still alive, healthy, and free. Those are worth celebrating.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mick, I hope you can begin to feel good about where you are right now. It's hard to not have regrets when we stop drinking, but try to stay in the moment and enjoy your sobriety. Happy Birthday!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday Mick - hows it going?

D
Old 01-19-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,
It is going great, I had the night shift so I got home at 7am, kids and wife made me a bacon cheeseburger, and cake, my wife said I could take the whole day for myself. I went to gym, worked out had a great sauna, went to AA, back home got some sleep. Now me kids and wife are picking up my Mom and all of us are going to a Japanese steak house for dinner, I've got tomorrow off so I can transition back to a day shift next week.
This has been a wonderful day so glad my kids and wife kicked my attitude 180 degrees! :-)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done Mick and belated Happy Birthday, sounds like you had a blast. :You_Rock
Old 01-19-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Happy belated, sounds like the day was full of all the right stuff, congrats!
For the record I don't think there is such a thing as too much soy sauce where fried rice is involved , enjoy !