Notices

Dat two - intro

Old 01-18-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dat two - intro

Yesterday was the new day one. It wasn't that bad. I'm working on a new routine for when I come home from work. Instead of coming home and pouring a drink and watching tv, I went to the gym. Then I came home and cooked dinner from scratch. And then did the dishes.

Today, I went to the gym, and I kept thinking "a beer would sure taste good right now".

I've been eating a lot of candy. I heard sugar helps with cravings. I've reminded myself to get comfortable being uncomfortable.

I've done AA in the past, and I don't really want to go back. I'm exploring SMART recovery.

I'm also not sure that I'm an alcoholic or whether I really want to give up alcohol forever. But it has been decided that I use alcohol to control my emotions. And that's not okay with me. I have reasons to quit for now.

It's just, well, not easy and not enjoyable and I miss drinking!
Old 01-18-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beingsober View Post
I've reminded myself to get comfortable being uncomfortable.
This line pretty much sums up getting through the first little while. Thank you for sharing, you've helped this alcoholic today!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome beingsober

D
Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here being sober! So much support & encouragement here. Keep reading & posting!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, beingsober. Congrats on your 2 days of sobriety.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

I'm all for stopping , especially when circumstances warrant. One of the red flag circumstances is especially exemplified by people who really miss it, otherwise ..well no problem , yeah?
Congrats on your decision to stop for now, ever consider that quitting for good may actually be easier ? It sounds like you have stopped , before.
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 01-18-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on going sober! Only you can decide if you want to cut back on it or give it up completely. Some can drink socially. I couldn't.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I had to change up my daily routine the first few weeks, the gym is a great way to spend some of your evenings. I had lots of alternate drinks, spent time on here, exercised, read, did whatever was needed not to have that first drink. It gets easier as time goes on, and pretty soon you will have developed new habits.

I'm not sure if you still have beer in the house, if so, you would be smart to get rid of it so there is no temptation.

Glad you are here!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses! I do not have any alcohol in the house. I really didn't think quitting would be difficult. The whole "I could stop if I wanted to but I don't want to" thing. It feels a little scary that it has been difficult. But changing any habit is difficult.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Beingsober! Yea, same here. For years I just thought of drinking as a bad habit I would quit...some day in the future. Eventually, I realized it wasn't just a habit anymore. Stopping drinking was now a pretty big deal that scared me. So stop while it's just a bad habit. Keep posting and reading, I do think it helps!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

welcome!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering

Welcome to SR! I sure can understand not wanting to give up drinking. But I had to - I couldn't limit my drinking to non-harming levels.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"I've been eating a lot of candy. I heard sugar helps with cravings. "

It does, in the short term, but abuse of sugar/caffeine can lead to hypoglycemia if you're not careful (speaking from experience).