Notices

Day 3 + Insanity

Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 + Insanity

I wonder if any of my day 2 people from yesterday are out there? We made it to day 3 Feeling good but still not 100%. I did a number on myself on Sunday night and somewhere in that fog I realized that I need to stop this ride and get off. I woke up the next morning and posted here.
I hope it's ok that I'm posting basically constantly here, it helps me so much.
I just wanted to share this thought I had last night/this morning here. It's kinda funny and kinda sad and to be honest a little surprising to write out.
On Tuesdays I drink because it is my busiest day
On Wednesdays I drink because I sometimes get off early, but if I don't get off early, I drink anyways because I had planned to
On Thursdays, I drink because it's almost the weekend.
On Fridays, I drink because it is the weekend and also because I have a short day on Saturday
On Saturdays, I drink because I'm off Sunday
On Sunday, I drink because it's my day off
All of those days had a couple of extra reasons in there too depending on the unique circumstances of the day. Mondays I almost always took off (if you're drinking 7 days a week, then you should probably quit drinking. I only drink 6 days a week so I'm fine- lol) I'm really great and finding excuses wow! If only my regular brain was as good of a problem solver as my AV. If someone were to lay their week like that out for me I would have said "ok you're just making up excuses to drink" but apparently for me it was ok, because those thoughts were in my head only.
Thank you for being here SR and for all of you for taking the time to write to me. It helps so much to be able to be honest about these things and not get judged.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I use to drink if the day of the week had a y at the end lol... I too had non stop excuses to drink until one day I woke up and the pain of drinking outweighed the pleasure.
It's a very painful place to feel totally powerless and out of control of your own life. I honestly thought I was the one who was doomed to die drunk as I could not get a week of sobriety together let alone a lifetime.. but one day at a time and with honestly and willingness I have got over 2 months and the obsession has gone.
I recommend getting a programme of recovery in place to help.. AA this time around has been very helpful.
Well done on day 3 👍🏻
Onwards....
Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on day 3 Ohme!

Stay on SR and post constantly if you need too. Try to develop a plan. There are some good links on this sight. Remember, day 3 is harder than week 3 or month 3. Everyday will get incrementally easier.

You can do this!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like your list. It sounds very familiar.

Great job on getting to day 3. Post, post, post. Whatever it takes.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of the things that helped me quit smoking (lasted 2 years) and alcohol (60 days sober) was understanding the physical addiction. It's so easy for us to come up with excuses to do things we know we shouldn't do but for some reason we think we can't stop. I think what you are doing with those lists is rationalizing. It may be easier to stop the habit if you understand why your body is craving it. Maybe check out articles about Alcohol Dependence, Tolerance and Widthdrawl.

I don't think anyone minds you posting here, helping each other is what makes abstinence possible. If we approach the problem alone, we will fail. If we approach it together, we win.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on day 3 Ohme, it only gets better from here on out! Let's keep being sober together!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I might be on that always have a reason boat I AM NEW.. but I think this is a good step for me...as I am drinking a 40 oz sadly
hope to meet and talk to some of you soon...
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by poiko View Post
I might be on that always have a reason boat ...
We all are or were. Maybe try writing out your reasons - when I did that with mine I realized how paper thin they really were

And welcome!! Hope to chat lots with you too.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3 sober is a great start.
Hang on tight.
If alcoholic?
It's worth it.
M-Bob
Old 01-18-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grats on day 3. I drank to celebrate good stuff, to drown the bad stuff, to lift me when I was low, calm me down when I was high, cheer me up when depressed, slow me down if I was a bit manic.

Mostly I drank because I couldn't find a way to stop!

I wrote that all in the past tense as if I am a long way beyond all that. Hardly at 7 days! Learning as I go.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mentium those things are on my list of reasons too. Let's be newbies at this together
Old 01-18-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stay strong Ohme. The AV will always give you reasons to drink, but you need to recognize them as irrational reasons rooted in the addiction, that will continually bring you down and hinder your potential. The AV is not your friend!