Notices

Liquor Stores open on Sunday

Old 01-17-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liquor Stores open on Sunday

Here in MN you can only sell liquor at liquor stores, and you can't sell it on Sundays. A bill has been proposed in the legislature several times and always gets shot down. I remember years ago hoping they would pass the bill. I mean why not? It would help me avoid having to stock up on Saturdays. I thought it would be nice and convenient.

Well this bill is up for a vote again soon and they think its going to pass. Now why did I bring this up? Because while driving my wife to work today and hearing about it on the radio I thought how I didn't give damn whether it was open on Sunday or not. Doesn't apply to me. My how things change. My wife even commented.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

and they like Wisconsin are tramping the grass to have the weed legalized... good for you kiddo good for you...
Old 01-17-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds like some pretty strong resolve right there Jeff!!

Times do indeed change, and alcohol can stop being the centre of our universe!!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ardy View Post
and they like Wisconsin are tramping the grass to have the weed legalized... good for you kiddo good for you...
Not to mention that WI is still the only state where a DUI is not a felony until the 4TH offense. And that is the new "stricter" law just passed in 2016,

And as far as the liquor stores here go, they don't even have them much anymore as grocery, convenience and large chain stores all sell alcohol of any kind 7 days a week. I think they have to stop selling at 10pm, but then you can just go to any bar and buy 12 packs to go until 2:30am.

I like your thinking though Thomas!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This happened in GA awhile back. I thought it was "about time" then, ha. Now I don't really care, and probably fall on the side of think Sunday Sales are fine, even good, if some people will stay home and drink; of course, that is irrelevant for many of us alcoholics and what kinds of risky behavior we did.

Now it makes me giggle every time I go to a meeting at one particular clubhouse- at the corner where you turn onto it's street, there's a huge liquor store right there. The clubhouse was there first
Old 01-17-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember when they changed the laws on sunday sales from noon to 10am was the greatest thing to happen in a long time, ha.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, Jeff,

Yes, it looks like there's a much stronger chance of Sunday sales becoming reality here in Minnesota. The governor doesn't seemed to be thrilled about it -- he's one of us -- but also not going to block it.

Sunday liquor sales off to a fast start at Capitol | Minnesota Public Radio News

On a personal note, I was thrilled to read your thread. You've come a long way. Keep up the great work and the winning attitude!

In some ways, I am in the same place as you. It matters not to me whether booze is for sale on Sundays or not. I do know that back in the bad old days, I'd have been a reliable customer. Sigh.

And yet I'm bugged by how this all seems fated to play out. In past years, the reasons given for and against Sunday sales have been varied. Lots of talk about business desires, the stance of border communities, renegotiation of labor contracts when Sunday work is required (e.g., trucking) and the looming concern among liquor store owners that Sunday sales would be the slippery slope to sales in groceries, gas stations, etc. No discussion about the effect on public health, including public safety.

Frustrating. I'm a native of Wisconsin so, like Scott, am well aware how the loose statutes governing alcohol have had a long-term impact on the state. The tavern league and other elements of the liquor lobby have been called one of the "four horsemen of the apocalypse" at the state Capitol. That's why it took a long time for the 4th DWI conviction to be considered felony. That's Wisconsin.

Some interesting reading for any policy fans ...

https://law.wisc.edu/wapp/

http://archive.jsonline.com/news/opi...302033391.html
Old 01-18-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Well this bill is up for a vote again soon and they think its going to pass. Now why did I bring this up? Because while driving my wife to work today and hearing about it on the radio I thought how I didn't give damn whether it was open on Sunday or not. Doesn't apply to me. My how things change. My wife even commented.
True freedom!

Good for you.

ABW1
Old 01-18-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm conflicted. I'm a chef working in MN and a law just passed allowing us to sell liquor at the restaurant on Sundays. It doesn't affect me personally since I haven't drank in years. In general terms I approve. After all, most people are alcoholics; the average patron just has a drink with dinner. If we as a society have decided that alcohol should be legal I see no reason not to have it legal every day of the week (and I'm an atheist anyways). Of course part of me doesn't want to encourage drinking.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Living in Western Wisconsin, I think it might be the right thing to legalize sales in MN on Sundays. It will cut down on the folks driving over here to get more alcohol on a Sunday afternoon after they've been drinking because they didn't plan well and ran out. If I'm in Hudson (border town) on a Sunday afternoon I see that the parking lots at the liquor stores are full of Minnesota license plates. Just one issue among many, I know, but possibly an important one.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Meh. I'd be OK with them selling liquor here in Va on Sundays. It's not like me and people weren't drinking on Sundays regardless whether it was on sale or not. But yep! Doesn't apply to me now either.