Notices

The verdict is in.... Terminated.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

The verdict is in.... Terminated.

So after 5 years 2 months and 2 days... I was terminated today... A job I loved despite the office staff I had plenty of friends on the floor of the warehouse that I will miss very much... I made good money and now I'm scared I'll loose my apartment... Yet I'm on the fence about drinking again after 5 days sober... I want to out of spite... But I don't really has the desire to.. *sigh*
Old 01-17-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear your news.

What you said...."drinking again...I want to out of spite" - a familiar feeling to most of us, I think, but one we were never proud of afterwards- nor one that accomplished anything but hurting ourselves. I hope you stay quit.

What are you doing- just for today?

Take care of yourself.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Prayers. That sucks. Drinking will make stuff worse.
Prayers.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this happened to you. Do you have a plan to find a new job? Are you able to get a decent reference from the company you worked for? Instead of thinking of drinking, how about sprucing up your resume in hope of keeping your apartment. This is a bump in the road but you can get through it.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about you losing your job.

Don't drink--it won't make anything better. Keep sober, clear headed and optimistic if you can!!!!

Right after my daughter was born, I got laid off. It was the scariest time of my life. I worried, stressed and worried some more. Then, the very driven and strong part of me, was determined to rise above and succeed. I began emailing everyone I knew that I was interested in working, etc. Someone forwarded my email and I landed an interview and a job!!!

I know it's hard now, but try and see this as a new chapter beginning in your life. Stay sober, keep posting--we are here for you!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know it's true. Drinking will blot it out for a few hours but make things a whole lot worse in the morning!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"I want to out of spite... "

Destroy yourself. That'll show 'em!

?
Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just read through some of your old posts. You're 30, right? STOP (drinking). SERIOUSLY.

I've been where you are -- more than once. I DID lose my apartment and had to move back in with my parents. At age 43. Good times. Is that what you want for yourself?

You are still so young and can recover from this!! And you have a man you love and want to keep, right? You really have a lot to stay sober for!

And thank you for posting, seriously, because it helps me stay sober to remember where I've been and where I'll be again in a hot second if I start drinking again.

I don't mean to lecture you because I've probably screwed up way more than you have. Lately I have not been working a sobriety plan the way I really need to. But if you really make up your mind now you can avoid coasting into middle age as an unemployed or underemployed drunk without the man you love, and maybe with few or no friends or family connections because they've just grown weary of the alcohol abuse.

This could be a great opportunity/turning point/fresh start for you. Truly.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please don't sabotage yourself by drinking.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Maybe a new job, a better opportunity for you to shine. I'm sorry you got terminated, but give yourself a chance for a better future. Sooner or later, drinking will rob you of any dream you have.

Don't give in to that voice!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking will only make things worse. Don't do it.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by K66 View Post
I made good money and now I'm scared I'll loose my apartment... Yet I'm on the fence about drinking again after 5 days sober... I want to out of spite...
I'm truly sorry for your loss, K66, but this is an extremely dangerous time for you to drink. There will be nothing to slow down the descent if you go down that path, and you run the risk of losing everything. Losses that you cannot imagine. You need to think clearly, save your money, and focus, because finding a job is a job unto itself.

DO NOT DRINK under any circumstances. Please trust me on this, and get rid of the supply. I don't say this merely because we are on a recovery forum.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
This is a bump in the road but you can get through it.
i lost my job when i was new in sobriety also

i didnt drink, went to meetings, followed direction and i got thru it

you can too

Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am sorry you lost your job K66 but I agree with others here, use this moment to make changes for the better. At just 30 you could really turn things around
Old 01-17-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

alcohol has taken enough from you......hasn't it? don't let it have anymore.............
Old 01-17-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
I'm truly sorry for your loss, K66, but this is an extremely dangerous time for you to drink. There will be nothing to slow down the descent if you go down that path, and you run the risk of losing everything. Losses that you cannot imagine. You need to think clearly, save your money, and focus, because finding a job is a job unto itself.

DO NOT DRINK under any circumstances. Please trust me on this, and get rid of the supply. I don't say this merely because we are on a recovery forum.
So true! I've been down this road with loss of job=drink,breakup=drink,ect.. All roads led me to AA,via the court system BUT, AA non the less. Drinking over loss,when you have a problem drinking, does nothing but, lead to more drinking,because now you have a drinking problem again. Vicious cycle that I've been on for the past 3yrs,while here, and many years before I admitted to myself I had a problem.
Nothing good has EVER come from my drinking! Someone here once told me "Looks like drinking isn't doing you any favors." That was a fact! A fact I ignored, that would have saved me a lot of money,time,stress and self/relationship(s) harm. I was just talking to one of partners this morning about how I tried to 'hide' my problems/worries for years.. The problems don't just go away. they'll be there tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

So sorry to hear this k66, I can't imagine how hard that must have been. Did the union get involved at all? But please don't drink again. That's what got you into this in the first place. Use this as a springboard to move forwards with your life. Something good can come of this, I assure you.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I lost my job due to my drinking. I was sure my career was over and I was so ashamed and humiliated.

I had to take a huge pay cut and a temporary"get well job" where I pushed paper for 4 months. From there I took an entry level position in my field. I was, and AM, making half of what I made before. I worked my butt off, stayed late, came in early. Asked for more work. Took on different projects and worked twice as hard than I ever did before as I put my life back together. Oh yeah, and I did not pick up that first sucker drink ever again. I've been at my present job for 14 months and my boss actually encouraged me to move on because I am over qualified. Now, at 19 months sober, I have applied for a position within my career field, in a premier research institution, and I landed an interview. I'll be making (pretty much) what I used to make. You can rebuild. You can fix the damage. Drinking won't solve anything. But hard work and sobriety open the doors to a new life. It can be done.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcohol is doing you no favours, don't open that door, drinking never seemed to fix anything in my life, the problems where still there in the morning, but they then came with the added extra special bonus prize of a hangover!!

Draw a permanent line, lay the foundation and keep moving forward!!

You can do this!!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure you are well aware, but they say that losing your job due to your drinking is a significant sign of alcoholism. Now, I know you drank the night before, but I think the rule still applies.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi K66,

I'm sorry that happened today. Drinking today will not help, and can only make things worse. Someone else asked about references, is there someone should would give you a good reference? Is your resume up to date? If not, spend some time working on that today, and start looking on job sites.

Let friends know you are looking for a new job, they may know someone who can help you get an interview.

My husband lost his job about a year and a half ago. It was a stressful time, but he started looking for jobs right away, and accepted a position about a month and a half later. He took a pay cut, but we were still able to pay the bills again. Recently, he started a new job making what he was before.

You can do this. Start by staying sober today, see if you are eligible for unemployment , and start looking to see what is out there.