Notices

Im back... again!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im back... again!

I posed this in another forum by mistake. I guess I am a newbie again.

Here I am back into day 17. I was doing so well for a year or so then BAM. One drink and it was game over.

But after reading a lot of the messages I feel fortunate that it wasn't as bad for me as most.

It seems like all my friends and relatives knew I drank a lot as I never hid it. I would do 8 ozs whiskey a night, so a 26er bottle would last me 3 days then another one then nothing for a few days then start again. Sometimes I would have an IPA or 2 before the Whiskey as I liked the taste of it.

This time I took a multitude of vitamins and supplements to help me through it and it was effortless. I read up on the internet all the supplements I should be taking and it ended up being about 10 different ones a day. Even my sleep wasn't that interrupted like it was last time.

I've thought about joining AA in my community as I think I can benefit from a sponsor, just someone to talk to about it once in a while.

Dee, I can't believe you are still here helping so many of us all the time. I think you must read every post on these forums Keep up the great work.

I read an earlier thread that asked if you tell people you quit drinking. Well I don't tell everyone, probably just the ones closest to me but if someone asks I tell them. Im not embarrassed by it and if they support me they are my friend, if not, then I don't need them.

Oh, one more thing, I have determined that once an alcoholic I can never be an occasional drinker. I did try it for a while but it caught up with me. And here I am again. I think I need to change my tag line to reflect my new starting point.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome back

Good that you have returned. I have had a similar situation where I thought I could be a casual drinker as well. As a binger, this just isn't true. This is day 2 for me and I am still hungover! How sad.

Congrats on taking this step and welcome back!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job for coming back! Totally great idea to take care of your body right now...alcohol does a number on us! I'm in a similar situation....started this whole journey almost 3 years ago....I, too, can't believe Dee is still here!! Thanks for all your support, Dee!
I've been doing some soul searching into how I should change my mentality with it this time so I can be successful....I think, maybe, there's still some part of me that thinks, ok, if I just quit long enough then I'll never drink too much the next time....but it ALWAYS escalates.....and I just can't waste anymore time being hungover or drunk....not to mention all the risks that come with it.
So sorry to hear about the 2 day hangover, Elliemae! Been there!
So glad we can all post here and talk each other into the right things and out of the wrong things....
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

glad youre back

theres lots of sober harley riders in AA!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, HarleyDad!

Remember me?)

Sorry to hear you slipped, but glad you are back!

Stay close to SR this time - this place is treasure of support.

I am 4 years 3 months sober, and still come here everyday to get my share of emotional outlet in this crazy world. The most non-judgemental and understanding place on Earth, I believe.

Stay with us, stay sober.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back HarleyDad!!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you've been struggling but it's great you made it back HarleyDad

D
Old 01-17-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you again, HarleyDad. Nice work on reaching Day 17 again - we know how hard it is.

I did the same thing - thought I'd be ok to have 'one' - but of course it can never be one. As you said, being an occasional social drinker doesn't work for us. Took me years to really believe that - so much needless destruction.

You're back and determined - that's the good news.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

@ MidnightBlue Yes I do remember quite well. How is it going with you?

@Wildchild69 I remember you as well. How is it going?

Thank you everyone for the welcome back - Im not sure if that's good or bad but I do know the support is here.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So nice to be remembered The welcome back is bitter sweet haha guess it can't be defined as good or bad....if I had to pick it'd be good, though Plucking along here....Day 4 here and don't really want to drink, but I know my struggle is coming so I'm trying to stay involved here. Hope you have a wonderful Thursday, HarleyDad!
Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you got a plan HarleyDad?

D
Old 01-19-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good to have you back here HD,

You and I joined about the same time, late 2012.

The big difference, though, is that you stayed sober for a year or so (I've never once made it that far, more of a recurring recovery / relapse etc etc cycle). Perhaps you can dig deep back into that year - which is significant, despite what some might say - for both inspiration to yourself and to identify how it was before the (apparently) 'BAM!' moment.

And well done, you, for getting to 17 days on your own. That shows some pretty impressive resolve.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, HarleyDad!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you got a plan HarleyDad?

D
Hmmm, a plan.. well I researched the net on what vitamins and supplements I should take and I now take 10 different ones a day. It has really taken the edge off the anger part of it and helped me sleep better and some are to put me in a better mood and a couple to reduce the craving for alcohol (aka sugar, carbs), liver regeneration and it has all worked. The withdrawl has had minimal effect on me. I'll stop taking some I don't need after 30 days but continue with the others then slowly get off of them after 60 days.

then I'll see how it goes and if I'm feeling the need I'll start them again, especially the one that reduces the need for sugars and carbs (aka alcohol) and controls insulin so you don't get "the need". It really does work for me. This was all over the counter stuff

I felt a little agitated at times so I just kept my mouth shut (hard at times lol)

Im thinking of joining AA to have a sponsor so I have someone to call and talk to about it. Im not sure yet. We will see how it goes.

That's my plan. I guess we are all different and do what we need to do to get off of alcohol. What works for one person might not work for another.

"C"
Old 01-20-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
Good to have you back here HD,

You and I joined about the same time, late 2012.

The big difference, though, is that you stayed sober for a year or so (I've never once made it that far, more of a recurring recovery / relapse etc etc cycle). Perhaps you can dig deep back into that year - which is significant, despite what some might say - for both inspiration to yourself and to identify how it was before the (apparently) 'BAM!' moment.

And well done, you, for getting to 17 days on your own. That shows some pretty impressive resolve.
Thank you! Best of luck to you, I know how hard it is.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildchild69 View Post
So nice to be remembered The welcome back is bitter sweet haha guess it can't be defined as good or bad....if I had to pick it'd be good, though Plucking along here....Day 4 here and don't really want to drink, but I know my struggle is coming so I'm trying to stay involved here. Hope you have a wonderful Thursday, HarleyDad!
I remembered you because I followed your posts and read everyone of them. Let's see if we can do this together. Tomorrow (Saturday 21st) will be 3 weeks.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, HarleyDad!

Remember me?)

Sorry to hear you slipped, but glad you are back!

Stay close to SR this time - this place is treasure of support.

I am 4 years 3 months sober, and still come here everyday to get my share of emotional outlet in this crazy world. The most non-judgemental and understanding place on Earth, I believe.

Stay with us, stay sober.
Wow, that's amazing, good for you. You are correct. Some people really struggle with this and I feel so sad for them.

"C"
Old 01-20-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by HarleyDad View Post
Hmmm, a plan.. well I researched the net on what vitamins and supplements I should take and I now take 10 different ones a day. It has really taken the edge off the anger part of it and helped me sleep better and some are to put me in a better mood and a couple to reduce the craving for alcohol (aka sugar, carbs), liver regeneration and it has all worked. The withdrawl has had minimal effect on me. I'll stop taking some I don't need after 30 days but continue with the others then slowly get off of them after 60 days.

then I'll see how it goes and if I'm feeling the need I'll start them again, especially the one that reduces the need for sugars and carbs (aka alcohol) and controls insulin so you don't get "the need". It really does work for me. This was all over the counter stuff

I felt a little agitated at times so I just kept my mouth shut (hard at times lol)

Im thinking of joining AA to have a sponsor so I have someone to call and talk to about it. Im not sure yet. We will see how it goes.

That's my plan. I guess we are all different and do what we need to do to get off of alcohol. What works for one person might not work for another.

"C"
Sure we;re all different but I think a recovery plan really needs to address what you'll do not to drink again - how to cope with desires, tricky situations, peer pressure, uncomfortable emotions etc.

Vitamins and supplements may help or they may not but I don;t think they;re a recovery plan on their own.

There are some great ideas here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D