Notices

First CBT session today

Old 01-16-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First CBT session today

Today is day 7...1 week!!!! And today was my first CBT session to help me deal with events that have happend in the last few years and how i have reacted to them.clearly not well!! I carry so much guilt over my husbands suicide and how my relstionship is with my children since, especially my daughter who has autism. Every choice I make or don't make, if anything goes less than perfect to I seem to punish myself and torture myself, like I feel I deserve to feel so low. When you feel guilty it's generally because you did something wrong, so then you are accountable for it and must accept the consequences. (That's my inner voice that talks to me through the hours. and as my therapist pointed out I seem to punish myself constantly)

He made a very good link to my issue with alcohol as for a while it was a way to get the voice to be silent, or be numb to it.Until it rears it's ugly head in the morning and then I have to drown it out again.literally!! Also perhaps an element of self sabotage, I'm even using alcohol as a way to punish myself, like self harm.I know the outcome, but I dint deserve better...so who cares.

Such alot of insight and things to think on. Usually going through such emotional turmoil would send me running to a bottle. But today surprisingly it's the last thing I wanted it. We are working on 'getting my alcoholic abusive voice out of the drivers seat and getting my rational and logical passenger taking direction'. Feel emotionally done, but thank full and positive!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds great, kel. Welcome to SR.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2/2016

I found CBT very useful. Especially the part about a set ending to the therapy. Mine wasn't on and on. Re-writing events, re-framing them, even writing yourself letters of forgiveness was so useful to me. Glad you are here.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kel08 View Post
We are working on 'getting my alcoholic abusive voice out of the drivers seat and getting my rational and logical passenger taking direction'. Feel emotionally done, but thank full and positive!
It sounds like you found a gem of a therapist.

I recovered via a steps-and-God centered AA program, but I've heard of other things like CBT helping. Someone in AA told me that she heard about a woman who got free from alcoholism by being taught by the founder of CBT.

Best of luck to you.

I look forward to reading more of your posts and seeing your progress.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, kel08! I'm glad CBT is helping. It seems to be a great form of therapy and you seem to have found a great therapist.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kel!!