Notices

8 days sober . it is a struggle.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 days sober . it is a struggle.

Hello. I am 8 days sober and it is a struggle. The temptation is still there at the back of my mind. I have drank beer for pretty much half of my life and I am tryin to turn my life around now as I have come to realize the problems that are associated with drinking. My parents drank, my siblings drink and I being the youngest fell into the pattern as well. I am trying to keep myself busy so I don't think about it. I find myself stuffing my face with food now. Any advice?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Find a new favorite beverage to drink when you are thirsty. Drink it often so you won't ever thirst for alcohol. Some like root beer or fizzy seltzers. I just drink water or coconut water. I carry water everywhere as my 'go to'.
Do you know what H.A.L.T is?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks. no. I do not know what that is.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi lucielou - Welcome!

My suggestion at this point is to read Dee's recovery plan thread here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

and also to read and post in the Class of January thread here (welcome to the class, if you want to join )

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Congrats on 8 days!!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Triggers can often be caused by:
Hunger
Anger
Lonliness
Tiredness

I also added Thirst and
Anxiety to my list.
It is good to think of HALT to get in touch with what you really need.
Hope that helps.
♡CR
Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Eight days! Well done.

I was pretty uncomfortable at eight days...and at sixteen days...and at a month and a half. It will keep getting better but at eight days I still had to say that Serenity Prayer constantly to keep from losing my mind. Just focus on going to bed sober tonight. Don't let anyone steal your peace of mind.

Hang on.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 8 days

for me going to aa meetings has been a huge help
Old 01-16-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on getting through that first week Lucielou! You will be tempted in the weeks ahead, so plan for it when it comes. Exercise, eat, sleep, anything to distract yourself when you feel like drinking (The H.A.L.T). After a while, it will get much easier, depending on the person. Keep in touch with SR, people are always willing to help. Hope that helps!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for taking the time to share this with me.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Lucielou, welcome! I have found exercising a good use of my time to distract myself and keep myself busy. Also, looking for new, healthy recipes.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome lucielou ☺
Old 01-16-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been doing all the things that I was neglecting while I was drunk. Housework,exercise,WAS spending more time paying attention to my relationship but, that didn't workout too well. lol So, now I've put that time and energy into focusing on family,friends and sobriety. I've pretty much taken off work until my legal issues are resolved(2 more months) and I have a better grip on my sobriety.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you to everyone for the advice. I have failed. I didn't mean to. my boyfriend got the best of me. bad trigger. 8 days and I'm right back to where I started. part of me is just ashamed. thank you all for trying to help me.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lucielou, we've all fallen off the wagon at one point or another. The fact that you're back here shows that you do want to be sober.

You said your boyfriend is always a trigger for you. Are there any things you could plan to do ahead of time if this trigger were happen again?

StartingOverNW posted a link the D's post on recovery plans. Why not check it out?

We're all here for you Lucielou!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lucielou

I'm glad you're still here - it's hard to change a lifestyle we've had for so long, but not impossible....the more support you have for change and the more you use that support, the better I think.

Why not check out the Class of January support thread - its for everyone trying to quit this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-10.html
Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucielou View Post
thank you to everyone for the advice. I have failed. I didn't mean to. my boyfriend got the best of me. bad trigger. 8 days and I'm right back to where I started. part of me is just ashamed. thank you all for trying to help me.
personally i wouldn't say ya failed- ya learned a lesson that youre going to need more than just not drinking to get and stay sober- youre gonna need support and prolly a good idea to work a program of recovery.
when i got sober everything was one of them triggers. for quite a few years i used everything as an excuse to drink, until i didn't need an excuse. i had a compulsion to drink over every situation that came up.
one thing i think helped me tremendously was my past- seeing just how well drinking didn't help.
another thing that helped was being around people that had been in my shoes and got out from under- they had recovered from alcoholism. i had faith that if they could do it then i could,too- the craving,compulsion, and obsession would leave so long as i followed some suggestions.

getting sober was the hardest thing ive ever done.
staying sober has been easy.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Please stay with us lucielou. If slipping up meant failure and giving up probably 90% of us wouldn't be here because most of us have slipped up before.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Lucielou!! Day 8 is fantastic!!