Physical signs of progression

Old 01-14-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical signs of progression

I've noticed over the past few months how AH's breathe always smells...sweet and of alcohol. His eyes lack brightness and clarity...
I dunno I am just worried and sad. He refuses to see a doctor but lately has been trying different "natural liver cleanses" so he has an idea that he isn't healthy but denial is obvious. This post is all about him, it's just that I don't know, it's been on my mind and had to get it out.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yea, I'm interested in the replies as well. Mine has a white tongue lately. I have googled to learn the significance, but have seen nothing specific to alcoholics.

Not to hijack your post with a related question, but has anyone else's A had the white tongue going on?
Old 01-14-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

thousandwords......I think it is obvious...as you said...that he needs to see a doctor and he needs to quit drinking (under medical supervision, of course).......
The odor is called "fetor hepaticus", and, can be associated with acute alcohol intoxication, liver pathology, acid base balance problems (usually with acute intoxication).
You can tell him that the liver can have asto nishing powers of resilience IF a person quits drinking and gets medical care....That is a general statement--no gurantees, of course.....but, it might encourage him to see a doctor if he knew that he has a good chance of getting better if he does the right things. You could offer to go with him, to see the doctor (if he wants). You could be in the waitng room or be in the exam room with him (whichever he wants). Don't worry..the doctor will know about the drinking even if he minimizes it.
I know it is hard to get some people to see a doctor...they are so afraid of what they will hear...and, they my fear that they can't quit....
He would certainly need in hospital detox....it would be extremely unsafe to try to quit cold turkey, on his own.

You can lead a horse to water...and, sometimes, put salt in their oats......
If he won't talk to a doctor......absolutely won't....then, you have done all that you can do....(I don't know if he has family that he trusts).....

You are in a tough situation.....
this is really, really, really hard on the loved one.....
Old 01-15-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi, can you push the doctor's consultation, like making an appointment, going with him etc? If he won't accept that, there's not much you can do except worry. He may get to an emergency crisis where he has to go to hospital anyway.

This must be causing a lot of anxiety for you. I hope it resolves itself over time.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thousandwords53 View Post

has been trying different "natural liver cleanses" so he has an idea that he isn't healthy but denial is obvious.
Those are a good thing to do but, we know if there is an issue drinking will not help. Might be time for a doctor wake up call? Sometimes they heed good advice given.
M-Bob
Old 01-15-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you really think about it, alcohol is poison and ingesting too much and too frequently will cause the body to kick in and say, "I've had enough here buddy" and visible signs will show up. Watery eyes is a tell tale sign aside from the bloating. This is consistent with over doing anything including food which manifests itself in weight gain. He removes the poison and his body will immediately begin to heal but if he's really hitting it hard a safe, medically supervised detox is advised. Cold turkey on booze can be fatal. Not trying to scare you but it's a medial fact. Booze suppresses the central nervous system and stopping immediately without medial help could be seriously bad.

I was fortunate when I detoxed. I did it medically but didn't need any medicine so after one day I was medically cleared to leave but I stayed for two more days and the went right to rehab. Best decision I ever made.