Notices

Intro - and scared ****less....

Old 01-13-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intro - and scared ****less....

I've been drinking for years, too many to remember, beer, never touched spirits. I woke up last Saturday (6 days ago) and my skin tone looked a bit yellow and scared the pants off me. Not touched a drop since and no chance I ever will again. I could always stop, quite easily, trouble is that kinda meant I could always start again, knowing I could always stop again.

I've got dark urine now, sort of orange, poo a funny colour sometimes normal, sometimes dark, sometimes light. No belly issues or pain, in fact I feel very well inside myself. I still have a yellow pallor. I sleep well enough and while I've anxiety issues before I don't have them now.

Just scared I've to gone too far. Having jaundice doesn't seem like it's reversible.....

Doctors next week, I'm abroad at the moment so not easy.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-27-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are with us and going to doctors next week.

I recommend treatment if you have the resources to pay for it (or you have insurance that will).

I also recommend that you pursue a program of recovery as much as you pursued drinking.

I certainly couldn't get and stay sober on my own.

I had banged up my liver pretty well before I got sober, and everything inside me recovered from the assault i had put it through for many years.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you're right. It's often much easier to stop drinking than to stay stopped and recover. I'm glad you're talking to your dr about your health issues. You will find lots of support here, so keep posting.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering

Welcome Pikes!

I'm glad
Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's good that you're seeing the doctor. They can run tests to determine if you've done any damage or not.

Please read and post often. There's lots of support here.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Having jaundice doesn't seem like it's reversible....."

From what I've read it is, if one's drinking stops soon enough.

(STOP)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I certainly hope you are fine, but fear can be a great motivator. Quitting sounds like your best option.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My urine was really dark the first few days, which was terrifying, but once I was fully hydrated it went back to normal. Glad you're seeing a doctor though just to be safe
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So ... if your doctor tells you that you've "gone too far," it seems that you probably know what to do and have pretty good motivation for doing it. But what are you going to do if the doc gives you a clean bill of health or something close to it? Unofortunately, most people in that situation say, 'whew, that was scary,' and return to heavy drinking. Some of those people find themselves back in a hospital a few months or years down the road and the news is much, much worse. In my opinion, you should spend the next several days developing a plan for how you plan to quit drinking in the event that this is not a major medical emergency. Good luck to you and best wishes.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

Dark urine is a very common sign of dehydration... It can also happen to non-drinkers or heavy drinkers of cafeen... Get yourself hydrated... Don stop drinking water from when you wake until you go to bed. Also try tumric tea (for liver regeneration aid), vitamin b12 100 complex (because alcohol depletes your b12 which can lead to alcoholic neuropathy) apples, leafy greens, avacado, onions and garlic are all liver regenerating foods... Milk thistle... All natural foods and vitamins to help heal. Keep us posted and keep away from the booze 🍀
Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi pikes welcome
Glad you are seeing a doctor. Do it sooner rather than later
Old 01-13-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, Pikes

SoberRecovery is a great place to land. Knowledge, wisdom and understanding for the taking!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

There's no way I'm touching a drop ever again, I've never had any cravings for alcohol, just bloody loved it.

I've also never had any real withdrawal symptoms this time (apart from the yellowing) or before so I'm hoping I'll be ok on that score.

When I saw myself in the mirror.......

Once again, that's everyone for responding, I'll keep reporting in.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Pikes

Glad you will be seeing a docter. I would recommend having a read of a few threads to find out what it takes to stay stopped.

For a long time I was like you in that I could always stop. Until I couldn't
Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For many, many years I had a fear of the day that my body stopped functioning due to alcohol abuse. I knew I couldn't keep up that insane abuse forever.

At 81 days sober that fear is gone.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad your here Pikes ,welcome .
Old 01-14-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I understand the fear. On the bright side - the human body is amazing and can make remarkable recoveries.
Go on a Full Speed Ahead Health Kick! That is what I am doing now.
Go 180 degrees in the opposite direction of self abuse and drunkenness.
You can do it!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Pikes!!
Old 01-27-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Catch up time!

I totally have stopped drinking alcohol, I'm not counting days but it's about three weeks now, no withdrawals, no pains, no regrets.

Seen the Doc, I have jaundice still though that's slowly improving, took bloods, had ultrasound. Doc confirms blood shows jaundice, and poor clotting agents, I have been bleeding a lot from any skin break. On some vits to cure that hopefully. Doc also told me not to take Milk Thistle, typical Brit Docs, don't like herbal remedies. Not sure what to do about that. Doc said liver isn't inflamed.

Re: ultrasound, all looks ok apart from some floaty bits in gall bladder (not stones) and a small amount of free fluid in liver which I was told will go away as I continue to abstain. Didn't ask about any liver damage, can you believe I forgot to ask?.....

Poo is normal colour, wee is still rather dark. Eating like a horse, feel a lot better, but have days were I feel awful.

Fingers crossed I've not damaged anything beyond repair, still more tests to do, Docs being great, very proactive in arranging all these appointments for me, thanks the Lord for the NHS....

Will report onwards....
Old 01-27-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Pikes

Great job. I hope things continue to improve.