Notices

On and off

Old 01-12-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On and off

Is everyone constantly making mental check lists of the positive? I'm on day flipping four (again). I restarted that clock on Sunday. It's hardest when I'm alone (before everyone gets home). That was always my special wine time. Now I do the tea instead. But I can't get past that longing. That's where this sight is crazy helpful.
I like thinking of all of the benefits. I imagine all of my organs getting cleaned with all of the tea & water I'm drinking. I know I don't want to put proverbial sugar in my gas tank. Every night that I can stay clean, my body & my brain heals. I am really into the brain rewiring and deep sleeping. I want to actually see the benefits (weight loss, healthy glow). I think that would help. I want this to really stick. Is this possible?!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Is this possible?!"

Well, yeah!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'll be on day flipping 4 again tomorrow, so I'm right there with you.

The good news is, it is possible! What do you do other than drink tea in that rough time? Do you come on here and read and post? What about catching up on chores? Cleaning the house? I found that the more active I am in my 'witching hour' or drinking the easier it is to get past the cravings
Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's possible! And, Day 4 is great. You will see the benefits as the weeks go by and you start to feel better.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on day 4
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When you get sober for good, you open up so many possibilities. My favorite part of being sober is waking up feeling good.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

More than possible - it's actually happening! Right now!

Yaay you!!! The human body is an awesome regenerator...
Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jennychesh View Post
Is everyone constantly making mental check lists of the positive? I'm on day flipping four (again). I restarted that clock on Sunday. It's hardest when I'm alone (before everyone gets home). That was always my special wine time. Now I do the tea instead. But I can't get past that longing. That's where this sight is crazy helpful.
I like thinking of all of the benefits. I imagine all of my organs getting cleaned with all of the tea & water I'm drinking. I know I don't want to put proverbial sugar in my gas tank. Every night that I can stay clean, my body & my brain heals. I am really into the brain rewiring and deep sleeping. I want to actually see the benefits (weight loss, healthy glow). I think that would help. I want this to really stick. Is this possible?!
Wine was my thing too...I have found that ruby red grapefruit juice popps the taste buds like wine did for me. That's what I'm sticking with..it's got me to day 11 so far...you can do this.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks people. Is it weird that my recovery is kind of secretive? I'm not announcing to the household or social media that I am not drinking. I'm not tweeting or instagramming anything about it. I'd like to think this is a personal and private matter. But I get so much confidence and strength reading and being involved with this forum.
I think my drinking problem was secret. I was a mug drinker. Is that a thing? I didn't want to "model the behavior" to my kids with stemware. That's such an alcoholic move now that I think of it. Oddly, I am using the same mugs filled with delicious Watermelon lime zinger tea.
Wonder if I'll eventually say it out loud.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jenny! I don't go running in the streets shouting it out to people, but it does help to have some people in your life know, if for nothing more than it gives you a sense of accountability. I made some new friends in AA, and it's such a relief to say the words out loud and have someone know where you're coming from with no judgement. If course it doesn't have to be AA, it could be anyone, but I definitely think it helps to have someone know.

Little things like that are things to watch out for - you may be planning a relapse without even knowing it. Somewhere in the back of your mind it may be saying 'well if no one knows I can start drinking again and won't have to own up to it'
Old 01-13-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jennychesh View Post
Thanks people. Is it weird that my recovery is kind of secretive? I'm not announcing to the household or social media that I am not drinking. I'm not tweeting or instagramming anything about it. I'd like to think this is a personal and private matter. But I get so much confidence and strength reading and being involved with this forum.
I think my drinking problem was secret. I was a mug drinker. Is that a thing? I didn't want to "model the behavior" to my kids with stemware. That's such an alcoholic move now that I think of it. Oddly, I am using the same mugs filled with delicious Watermelon lime zinger tea.
Wonder if I'll eventually say it out loud.

I can totally relate. I have said nothing to anyone except for SR. For me, right now, it works. It's allowing me to self evaluate on my own terms without judgement. No one at AA would judge, but those outside of AA could/would and I'm not inviting the possible negativity into my recovery.

I'll show everyone with my actions. Positive, kind, thoughtful, forgiving, grateful...these are what I'm working on internally and externally. So far, I feel great.

Keep going, and congrats --it's worth it!!
Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Site said:
Little things like that are things to watch out for - you may be planning a relapse without even knowing it. Somewhere in the back of your mind it may be saying 'well if no one knows I can start drinking again and won't have to own up to it'

Absolutely. Other times I had tried to quit without telling anyone, it didn't work. It was like I was giving myself permission to drink again, or at least leaving the door open. It wasn't until I admitted to myself AND OTHERS that I had a serious problem that I felt real accountability - that helped me a lot. And guess what - your drinking probably wasn't as secret as you thought it was. You might be surprised how good it feels to talk to someone about it - someone you trust. That could be someone in your family, a friend, a counselor, or people at AA. You will undoubtedly be surprised how much support you will find. I was so afraid people would judge me. A very few did - They are no longer in my life. The vast majority of people I told have been nothing but supportive.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I talk to myself in the mirror, a lot. I remind myself of the positives of not drinking along with the realistic possible negative consequences of continuing to drink.

When an urge to drink hits, I try to distract myself [go for a walk, drink a glass of water, call a friend]. It also helps I have no wine at home.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jenny,

Congratulations on Day four, and yes sobriety is absolutely possible!!

Have you read through any of the links about recovery plans? I use SR daily. The two threads I find most helpful are the 24 hour thread, and my January of 2016 class thread. You should join the January of 2017 class.

Glad you are here!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes it's possible. I'm back on day 2 but, before that i had 2 weeks in. What a difference it made on my skin.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Its definately possible, and in fact its probable. If it wasn't none of us would have worked so hard to be (and stay) sober. Stick with it, it will pay off.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic Jenny!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 01-14-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
sober style

I love the idea that you're thinking about your body healing when you don't drink. It is healing. It takes some time but our bodies are remarkable that way. And positive thinking is the way to go. Zig Ziglar could tell you that! Anyway, good going, Jenny.