Notices

inpatient - what about the other bills?

Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

inpatient - what about the other bills?

i've been considering inpatient for a long time. biggest factor holding me back is being out of work for at least 30 days. we'd lose everything if i didn't have some other income while i'm gone. i'm the sole provider for my family.

does short term disability cover worthless alcoholics like myself, if we're in treatment? i pay for the benefit but obviously never used it before. i've always thought you needed to have a few dozen broken bones to qualify. am i wrong? could it be used for this?

thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That would be something you need to ask your HR department about, so many short term plans have different coverages.
I put myself into re hab, I told my boss about it, filled out the family medical leave act paperwork, and once all my vacation time was used up my short term kicked in for the last week of rehab. I'm back at work now so we only had a couple of tight weeks, as my short term insurance only pays 60% of normal earnings. I will say personally, re hab was the best thing I ever did for myself and my family.
I just needed professional help, AA is still my rock, but sometimes we all just need more help. Hope everything works out for you.
Mick
Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Pic,

I kept my recovery as personal as possible.

I vented here.

My car pool buddy knew I was suffering a bit, but he had no idea.

If you need outside help...do it.

But, if you can hunker down and make itto the sober side... using this site and aa...it will keep the word...alcoholic..off your medical records.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It depends on your disability plan, and state, but I know most will cover a percent of your salary. Call the disability company to ask. You may also want to talk to your doctor, they may put you out on stress leave so you can go to rehab, then you can just turn the doctor paperwork into disability.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thinks it's sad we have to hide and possibly lie about having a problem just to keep our sanity.. I thought that's what insurance was for..
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some on here will argue for saving your life, etc, but in my view, putting your livelihood on the line is risky, especially if you cannot afford not to work. Short term disability probably covers it, but you would have to make up something to tell HR, and extended absences do carry risks. I wouldn't advise inpatient, personally.

It is essentially 12-Step facilitation most of the time, and is therefore about as effective as going to AA. There are far less disruptive ways. IOP is no less effective than IP, and quite a few go back to drinking right after rehab, so I don't think it helps to place oneself in a secluded environment for a month.

An Addict's Most Vulnerable Time is Right After Treatment
Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What about an intense out patient program? Your insurance should cover that as well. Couple of hours 3 times a week meeting at the center. Have you also considered sober living as well? You can still work while living in a stricter environment catering to sobriety.

I personally didn't do the sober living, but I know people who did that had families and it worked out for them.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know it can feel that way, picturebigger, but you're not worthless. Booze has brought you low but a drunk is not all you are.

I can't say for sure about disability. While it's risky to try to advise you in that regard Algorithm makes a valid point; we all do need to earn a living. The flip side of that coin is you're no use to your family if you're dead from drinking.

Maybe Getright has the idea- can you find an intensive outpatient program?

If you want to get sober, I promise you there is a way.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You have to decide what's right for you. I wouldn't give you 'advice' in this situation.

I can share my personal experience however. When I was working I had 14 direct reports in my final job. One of my folks most definitely had an alcohol problem. It was obvious to me, and others, but no one said anything. He performed for the most part so other than talking about productivity issues, my hands were tied. Ya, I could have talked to him about it but it actually isn't that simple. Then I was told by HR that he was on disability for 45 days. That was it. No details, just that he would be out and I needed to make arrangements. I did. The group managed. He returned. I saw him about 2 years later (after I left that job) in an AA meeting. I don't know for sure what happened. I know HR wouldn't tell me if I asked. But I'm guessing he went to rehab. I have worked for a few large tech companies. There isn't a chance in he!! that these organizations would risk legal repercussions to simply gossip. Wouldn't happen. The gossip came from the employees who knew something was up. I'm sure this guy thought he was functioning and had us all fooled. This is just my experience.

I had to leave that job because I knew I would eventually get fired. I had my own drinking problem. I was never reprimanded for my drinking or for any kind of problem with performance. But it was coming. I wish I'd sought help. Just my experience.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh btw I think you can call the insurance provider themselves and find out about benefits. You would eventually have to involve HR but the provider should be able to tell you about what is covered and at what percent.