Notices

How do you fill your sober time?

Old 01-10-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you fill your sober time?

I'm looking for ways to spend my sober time. I'm not very active physically. I work a desk job that is over an hour from my home so I leave the house at dark and come home at dark. Lately, I have been coloring in adult coloring books and watching endless hours of netflix. What kind of fun stuff do you guys do? Any suggestions for getting physically active again after being a drunk slug for so long?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Join a gym,book club,hiking club,ect.. Build a small business..The world is yours to do with as you see fit.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd go nuts if I didn't have exercise so its great you're interested in getting started.

A gym is a great idea, as was mentioned. But if you're feeling like you're not quite ready for that, maybe some exercise DVD's? There's yoga (my favorite) Tai Chi (which is an awesome moving meditation) which are both really approachable if you haven't been doing much. There's all kinds of stuff. Zumba is fun too and pretty easy to modify for any level.

I taught myself to crochet and knit so that's fun...while watching endless hours of netflix.

If you're interested in meditation and stuff like that check if your city has a Dharma center. There can be cool activities there. Also meet ups has groups for just about everything....including drinking so ya gotta avoid those.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a compilation of ideas from our members:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was in SUCH horrible shape when I was first sober. I started walking on my lunch breaks. 20 min, then 30, then an hour. I grew to love walking. Now I generally walk 3-4x a week for an hour at lunch, and on the weekends I try to get at least 10 miles done....if the weather is decent I will clock around 15-17 miles a weekend. Start off slow. I use MapMyWalk (an app) and listen to music. I have another sober friend who loves to talk and so when we walk together we talk. We do a nice 9 mile walk (4.5 miles out...we bring cash and get lunch or dinner at a cute cafe on the water...and 4.5 miles back).

I also love movies, dining out (its good I like to exercise cuz I love food), museums, music, the beach, hiking, kayaking, art etc.

Maybe join a meetup...try out 3 to see if you like them? Search around for things that interest you. You can always go and try it and if you don't like it...you never have to go back!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi Bananas,

Once I became sober I discovered I didn't really know what I liked to. I am not much into exercise for the sake of exercise so I try to incorporate exercise into my daily activities, any movement is good. I also do some gardening, beading, puzzles/crosswords, reading. I've also started doing some simple yoga stretches in the morning to ease some issues I have from a car accident. They all take me out of my own head which is very noisy at times and I'm certain I am not alone in that!

I'm still discovering what I like and pretty much keeping an open mind.

Enjoy your journey of self knowledge

Scruff
Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise is one of the best things to do to keep you busy, plus it's great for your physical and mental well being.
I also find doing mentally stimulating things like reading very helpful, even video games that require your concentration are good.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So much reading! I had pretty much stopped reading because I was always drunk and couldn't remember what I had read the day before.

I also love coloring books, crosswords, sudoko, etc.
Being outside it great too. I'm not big on exercise either, at least not the sitting in a gym kind, so I walk. A lot. I wake up at 5AM and even if it's still dark I make a coffee and take it with me and walk. It's nice to have the world all to myself that early in the morning and gives me time to relax before the day gets going. I also ride horses for enjoyment and occasionally for work, so that keeps me outside and active as well.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started walking. I would come home from work, watch the news and then go out for a walk. Sometimes I would listen to podcasts but most times I would just walk and think. It was very helpful to reflect on the past, and why I was drinking. It helped me understand what drove me to drinking. I would usually walk about two miles. It is very helpful, and if you use a walking app on your phone it will track your progress. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Between work and going to meetings, I really didn't have a lot of free time M-F. On Sa/Su, I may have gone to two meetings a day to help fill the time during those early days of new sobriety.

And working the Steps took up time. Basically I had my day job (what I did to pay the bills) and my "other Job" Getting Sober & Learning to Live Sober.

The thin AA book called Living Sober was a great help. Short stories on how to stay sober.

God bless!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

Jigsaw puzzles have been a blessing for me as far as sober time. You sit down and start looking at pieces, get involved, and an hour will be gone before you know it. I also watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon tv shows and movies, but I did that before too. I do read more now too, love a good novel, but my powers of concentration have really atrophied and need some work.

Ah, Sudoku and crosswords too.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

These are all really great ideas! I can definitely start walking on my lunch breaks!
Old 01-10-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have posted this here before but walking dogs at my local humane society/animal shelter has been so rewarding for me. I'm doing a good deed and getting exercise and enjoying some canine companionship all at the same time. A total win/win.

I think ANY form of volunteering can be hugely beneficial to you. You get out of the house, out of your head, meet new people, make a positive contribution to your community, feel better about yourself, etc.

Could you hit a meeting between work and home?

How about trying a new recipe one night a week?

Is there a class you could take? Something you've always wanted to learn to do like draw or paint or play a musical instrument or even something to make you more marketable professionally?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I first got sober I was at home full time, having resigned from my job, so I really enjoyed walking my dog multiple times each day.

My new position which I began on May 31 2016 requires a long commute (2 hours a day in heavy traffic) and I am now more physically inactive than I have ever been - not good. By the time I get off the road I just want to crawl into my pajamas and sleep.

If you can, take up walking! Great way to spend time, be outside, get the endorphins going! Yoga is fantastic, too, physically and mentally. I have even had tears (release) during certain poses (mainly hip stretches) and after a yoga class I feel calm and at peace.

Knitting sounds like a cool thing to learn! You could keep your hands busy and make beautiful things! Writing - researching your family tree - coming up with ideas for an Etsy shop - reading - purging your home and donating items to Goodwill - starting an herb garden - learning how to cook or bake fun dishes - there is so much to try and do!!!!! (My problem is not enough free time to do them all!!)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Writing, running, lifting, surfing, hiking, working, chores, journaling, facebooking, instagramming, inspiring, poet-ing, volunteering, teaching, helping, philosophizing, reading, loving, sledding, skiing, biking, boating, kayaking, watching the sunrise, watching the sunset, daydreaming, nightdreaming, listening to music, exploring new places, playing guitar, playing ukulele, envisioning, discovering, wandering, seeking, learning, doing, paying the bills, learning to budget better, growing, understanding, FEELING, sharing, being vulnerable, being human, being present, giving presence, giving presents, giving of self, being of service, listening, hearing, seeing, wondering, talking, visiting, friend-ing, leading, cuddling, snuggling, laughing, comforting, and generally cherishing Life.