Notices

I made it through Saturday and Saturday Night

Old 01-08-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Changing

I made it through Saturday and Saturday Night

i usually relapse on the weekends but this weekend i took a bath made tea and went the f to bed. i have been so tired since quitting again. and i knew if i drank i'd feel horrible today. i'm tired of feeling horrible and not to mention the days of remorse and guilt that follow. i'm also tired of letting myself down and the people around me. day 6 here - and i always start off with such good resolve and intentions ... will it stick this time?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job Tiffany - for me the early days were the hardest, so I think you made a good decision.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you made it thru the weekend. Keep going, it gets better.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The weekends are definitely tough, especially early on. I made it through too. Good job!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Changing

i feel like i need a sober friend, someone who gets me, how do i make a sober friend? is this desperate?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tiffany,

Great job getting through Saturday night, I am sure you are feeling good this Sunday morning.

Have you thought about signing up for a class, or activity to meet new people?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job, Tiffany! Keep taking it one day at a time. The momentum will continue to build and you'll string together lots of days in a row.

As far as sober friends...do you have any AA meetings near you? You could make good connections there and maybe get a sponsor. AA isn't necessarily for everyone (including me) but it is an option.

At the very least, keep coming back to SR. Everyone here will definitely 'get' you!

ABW1
Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Classes, activities, volunteering, clubs (I've tried many. Some things I used to enjoy pre-drinking, and new activities to me as well). There are some interesting threads about hobbies and activities on the forum if you feel like doing a search. Mine have included... tap dancing, reading and author events, creative writing group, dress making, brass band (learning trumpet), church events, beginners running group, Bollywood dance aerobics, volunteering at community events such as firework displays, Christmas events, running events and similar.)

I also went along to AA and gradually, when I'd calmed down a bit and became able to chat without being anxious, I met some lovely ladies in the rooms who have become a great support network, and those without kids are often keen to meet up and do things, or chat over coffee or whatever. There's a little group of us that sometimes go to out of town meetings together, or go for a meal. It's so nice to be with other ladies who are alcoholics in recovery, and understand jy thinking and do not judge my past. I never really had open and trusting friendships before, so this is a new thing for me.

Of course wanting to get some sober friends is not desperate. Its incredibly wise. You are thinking about your long-term happiness. I for one only had friends who drank like me. And of course, when I stopped, they carried on and I was very alone. It was a lonely time. It's no good waiting for sober friends to seek us out - well done you for taking the initiative.

The other thing I've been able to do in my recovery is mend some of the relationships that I thought I'd broken in my antics, or through being completely self-centred when I was active in my alcoholism. One of the most wonderful things I've got from sobriety is a renewed and closer relationship with both my mother and sibling. I love to see them now. Before it was such a chore and I'd just be counting down to when I could escape and get back to my drinking.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 01-08-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiffanyeagle View Post
i feel like i need a sober friend, someone who gets me, how do i make a sober friend? is this desperate?
True desperation (not the high school "oh, that's so desperate") is a gift.

It the universe going into overdrive, screaming:

LIVE!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by tiffanyeagle View Post
and went the f to bed.

done that many times to quiet the mind

Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job making it through the weekend. Hoping they only get easier.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You will really appreciate it if you have to work tomorrow; it sounds ridiculous but just being able to start my working week without a hangover and a tonne of guilt is a real benefit for me. Take some time to enjoy the little things and I hope you get to enjoy another sober week.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows your week going tiffany?

D
Old 01-09-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I met some great friends that I really clicked with in AA.

I never worked the whole program, but I went to meetings to make new friends and get some support, and between that and this site was sober for quite a while! Starting over now because I stopped doing the things that were working (stupid)
Anyway, maybe check out some meetings in your area and meet some new people? Even if you decide AA isn't for you, you may leave with some invaluable new contacts.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Changing

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Staying sober and feeling good!!!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tiffany,

If you can get through one weekend, you can get through the next.

I sobered up on a Monday, went to my first meeting on a Tuesday. I was worried about the upcoming weekend.,

Thankfully I asked someone after the meeting about it. I don't remember who this angel was but he said don't worry about tomorrow or the weekend. Today you didn't drink, right? Lay your head on your pillow tonight, thank HP for another day sober.

When you wake up, ask him for help today. That's it!

Been doing that ever since, and oh yeah, Step work, meetings, working the Traditions, etc. But that all comes in time.

You're doing great!
Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Changing

day 10 i think. i want to do this. i already know tuesday will be difficult, going out to dinner with someone i would like to have a glass of wine with but i know so well it never stops there as romantic as it sounds. the wine, not the friend. see?